Computer Newbies

General discussion

Connect laptop to TV to watch movies?

by springchild74 / December 14, 2004 11:13 AM PST

Hi,

I just got a new laptop and enjoying it very much - I was wondering if there is a way to connect the laptop to TV cheaply (like, by a mere cable) to watch a DVD playing on the laptop on TV screen. This is just my imagination, but is such a thing possible? If so, pleease let me know. I'm realizing that computer screen is not quite the same as the TV screen .. it's ok, but TV's better.

So, if anyone knows anything about this, please let me know.

thanks always,
spring

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connect laptop to TV to watch movies?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connect laptop to TV to watch movies?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
S-Video Cable
by luapo / December 14, 2004 1:12 PM PST

Most Laptops use S-Video as a way to display video on your TV screen.

You can pick up a S-Video cable at your local Electronics store IE Radio Shack. Before purchasing the cable ensure your TV has the correct input.

Let us know what type of TV and Laptop you have if you require more assistance.

Hope this helps Happy

http://www.mopo.ca

Collapse -
Don't forget the audio cable. . .
by Coryphaeus / December 14, 2004 2:18 PM PST
In reply to: S-Video Cable
Collapse -
My TV type - help
by springchild74 / December 18, 2004 3:34 PM PST

hi, thanks for answering the question and sorry for taking a long time to get back to you - i have no idea if my tv has the correct jack, but the brand of the TV is "Symphonic" - it's an 19 inch TV. Model number is ST419C. There is nothing on it on the back except for the jack for the cable, and on the front there are two holes for audio and video. I hope one of them works with the S-Video cable you mention. Please get back to me - I'll be anxiously waiting for your reply. It's so cool that now that I can watch DVDs on the laptop, but I'm realizing now that it's quite different to be able to watch it on a TV vs. watching it on a computer.

thanks!!!!

Collapse -
how old?
by glb613 / December 18, 2004 8:13 PM PST
In reply to: My TV type - help

How old is the TV? It sounds like it doesn't have the connections needed to hook up your notebook.

Collapse -
manufactured march 2002
by springchild74 / December 19, 2004 6:18 AM PST
In reply to: how old?

that's what it says on the back of TV.

Collapse -
this is not working!!
by nihithp / January 7, 2005 1:46 AM PST

I tried this connecting with S Video and AV pins but it is not working. I tried scart adapter also but that is also not working. is there any thing to do with cable or with TV?

Collapse -
TV settings
by glb613 / January 7, 2005 1:57 AM PST
In reply to: this is not working!!

I haven't tried to connect a notebook using the S-video connection but, I have with a DVD player. I must set my TV to receive the input from the DVD player. On my set, that is video 1. Have you tried doing something like that on your set?

Collapse -
just wondering myself if this is possible from desktop also?
by laurie1971 / February 7, 2005 9:33 AM PST

and how i would do this? i have dell optiplex and a rca tv??

Collapse -
if you have video out
by glb613 / February 7, 2005 6:47 PM PST

Most new notebooks have an S-video output you can use to connect a computer to a TV. That's not enough. You still need to connect the audio for it to really work. Check the back of your desktop and see if you have an output jack from your DVD drive that is compatible with your TV. Chances are, you don't.

With DVD players as cheap as they are, I wouldn't bother trying to do this.

Collapse -
Connecting Laptop to TV
by lmilman / October 22, 2007 1:28 PM PDT

I tried to connect my Laptop Dell Inspiron 6000 to LCD TV Olevia 32"
using S-video and it does not work.
I tried also connect using VGA input and it does not work either: must be I am doing something wromg.
Please help.

Thanks,
Leonid

Collapse -
Laptop Model
by lizdouths / October 23, 2008 8:10 PM PDT

Hi

My laptop model is a DELL D630 and I need the correct cable to connect the laptop to my TV.

Regards

Liz

Collapse -
hi
by kapilkunal1970 / November 4, 2008 8:18 PM PST

hi I have a 29 inches LG television & HP laptop. audio it works fine. but i want the video from lptop to TV as well ... so kindly suggest what should i do ??

Collapse -
hi
by tasha1133 / September 30, 2009 12:33 PM PDT
In reply to: hi

why would you bother doing that considering the fact that dvd players are so cheap these days? Just buy a dvd player with usb port, transfer your files to a flashdrive and watch your movies on your tv.

Collapse -
laptop to TV--i don't have s-video output--
by buffypeterson1 / November 20, 2008 1:47 PM PST

it looks like all i have is a VGA port. what type of adapter would i need? i've figured out that my try at connecting from vga to rgb doesn't seem to work. My tv has rgb, cable, red/white/yellow and audio input connections.
i've been trying to figure this out for a week. I want to cut the cable tv cord and go with FREE HDTV antenna (works great) and netflix movies (watch instantly)output from my computer to the TV.

Any help is greatly appreciated. BTW I'm enjoying my free HDTV!

Collapse -
laptop to tv no s video output
by stugatsr2 / December 21, 2008 3:24 AM PST

if you have vga jacks @ computer and tv,all you need
is a vga cable with 2 female ends.for sound you will
need audio 3.5mm mini cable.

Collapse -
s-video cable
by supersonicusme / December 4, 2008 1:17 PM PST

i have a dell inspirion 1525 and a Vizio 22" Class HD LCD Television
i really would like to be able to hook my laptop up the my television screen in the cheapest way possible. any suggestions?

Collapse -
Connecting a laptop to a tv to watch internet movies on tv
by splashsmile123 / January 25, 2009 1:37 PM PST

Hi,

I need help in Connecting a laptop to a tv to watch internet movies on tv, I have a 20 inch Panasonic tv and a Toshiba laptop but I do not have an S video cable
input on the side of my laptop, what do I do?

Thanks Erica

Collapse -
How to conect my lap to TV for watcing movies.
by shiva2204 / March 7, 2009 8:37 PM PST

Hi, thank you your updations,
My TV is LG-slimmagic-29" and Laptop is HP-540

Please provide some solution for this.

Collapse -
Fujitusu Laptop to panasonic to watch movies??
by rosyni / April 3, 2009 2:31 AM PDT

Hi

I have gone out and bought SV Cable , put it from lapto pto TV but cant pick up the pic on theTV
Its a Panasonic TH-42PX8B and the laptop is a Fujitsuu Siemens amilio

I have tried to get the pic onto AV3/S but it isnt picking it up.

do you have any tips, I have changed the "output" to TV on the lapto. The laptop screen then goes blank but still no pic on TV

I'd really appeciate some help on thi

Collapse -
DVD on TV
by dragonlen / December 18, 2004 10:33 PM PST

If the TV is an older model and doesn't have the S-Video connector you can buy an adapter to change the S-Video to cable type connector. It is available from Radio Shack and most electronic stores. You would then run your S-Video into the adapter and then screw the cable from the adapter to the TV. Done.

Collapse -
Connect laptop to TV to watch movies?
by elsanasle / January 3, 2005 4:28 AM PST

If your laptop has s-video port, you can connect to the TV and view your laptop screen in your TV using the adapter, which you need to buy.

Collapse -
adapter question
by 573642 / February 6, 2005 11:40 PM PST

Hello, elsanasle! I was wondering what kind of adapter are you talking here?
"If your laptop has s-video port, you can connect to the TV and view your laptop screen in your TV using the adapter, which you need to buy "
Thank you, 573642

Collapse -
audio video lag when connecting laptop to tv
by yo_maan / March 10, 2005 1:21 PM PST

hi
i am using a 4-pin s-video cable to connect my laptop to my tv and a y-adapter to connect the audio from my laptop to the audio input of my tv. however whenever i play a video file or dvd there is a noticeable time lag between the audio and video. does anyone know a way to solve this?

Collapse -
DVD from laptop to TV
by amundsens / April 24, 2005 1:35 AM PDT

I have found your thread after a long search - I have a similar question to the one you had, did you solve this issue eventually? If so, what did you need to do?
You would think that this would be a simple one to find an answer to but it isn't - I hope you can help.
Thanks

Collapse -
It's not supposed to work. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 24, 2005 1:47 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD from laptop to TV

The MPEGLA (or MPEG Licensing Authority) http://www.mpegla.com licenses the DVD "Video Stream" per stream. It's about 2 bucks per stream and people have clamored for the lowest costs in software and hardware.

As such, 99.99% of the DVD player software disables the second video output.

Bob

Collapse -
Laptop to TV
by iaengmxa / June 23, 2007 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD from laptop to TV

I used the s-video cable from my laptop and got an .avi movie to play on the TV but the verical hold is terrible. Constant scrolling makes it impossible to watch. Hoe can I fix it?

Collapse -
i cant connect my laptop to my tv
by Blu_Hawaiian04 / October 16, 2007 5:58 AM PDT

i've already connected the s-video cable from the laptop to the tv. and all that shows up is the desktop wallpaper. i can move the screen with the display settings, but thats all. i've already tried to FN + F5 and nothing. HELP!

Collapse -
this website might help
by jillanenelson / November 25, 2007 1:50 AM PST

it might be your s-video cable or Fn F5 might not be the correct code for you as it varies by TV. try here:

http://www.teluguone.com/pctotv/index.htm

i got mine to work only after randomly stumbling across this site. the clarity is not great but definitely tolerable.

for audio, i connected my laptop to my stereo receiver via my headphone jack. the cable that you need to do this is headphone on one side and red and white on the other side. this connects to your stereo receiver via an available port such as "tape" or "aux". the audio then plays thru your stereo speakers for a richer sound.

i also use this methodology for playing my music cds. i uploaded them to an external hard drive and use windows media player to organize my music and sync with my (non-Apple) MP3 player. would work similarly for i-Tunes, tho.

Collapse -
this website might help
by dacraig62 / July 11, 2008 10:17 AM PDT

Thank you, thank you, thank you...Its about time someone answered the long awaited queston of hooking your laptop up to your tv. We managed to get the wallpaper, but through the link you provided we were able to put the codes in and get the dvds to play. Again thank you and now I know how to really hook it up.

Collapse -
Need to connect 3000 Y500 lenova laptop to SONY TV
by girishnadig / May 26, 2008 9:56 PM PDT

Hi,

I have Lenovo 3000 Y500 series laptop, i want to watch movies using my laptop in my SONY TV. Laptop has s-Video and I have the cable,I have connected. But I am not getting any thing except blank. In My TV there are Video1, Video2 and DVD Mode. As my laptop has DVD player I connected it to DVD mode in My TV. I am not able see anything. Can any one please help me.

Thanks
-G

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.