How To forum

Question

Connect laptop to tv

by Syrinx77 / March 24, 2014 10:10 AM PDT

Cannot figure out how to connect my laptop to tv. (to watch videos/dvds on the tv screen)

My laptop is a very recent Pavilion dv4 with a port for HDMI & a female vga port.
My tv is a bit older with several audio/video rca ports, & a female vga "PC In" port.

So I got a cable with one end fit to the hdmi & the other a male vga for the rear of the tv. I plugged both ends where they belong. No picture on the tv. This is where I start getting lost & confused. I tried changing the tv's function settings from "YUV", "PC in", "AV in", & "TV". Nothing.

Clueless as to what setting adjustments I may need to make to the tv &/or laptop or if I'm even using the right cable. (Running Win7)

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connect laptop to tv
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connect laptop to tv
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Get the right cable
by Willy / March 25, 2014 1:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Connect laptop to tv

Forget any "adapter" arrangement as this gets too tiresome and may not work, its just another tangle to sort through. I strongly suggest you get a VGA cable that allows plug-in for both TV and laptop. Then on your laptop direct it to have a 2nd display or support dual display setup. That will be possible if you have VGA port on the laptop. Then connect the other end to the TV VGA port. Then on your TV, enter the menu that offers "input/source" selection and find the one with VGA or what is considered the VGA port. That maybe labeled RGB or simply PC. I realize it is confusing because the standard just isn't that plain. You will need to play with it, but more than likley the TV side is the one holding up the overall install. The same applies to total HDMI connection if one is found on both TV and laptop. Now, you know why I prefer non-adapter hook-ups. if you use the VGA type connection, you also need the small plug audio cable as well to complete it all. The HDMI won't need this audio cable.

Don't fiddle with the laptop setting, it should default for dual display or once it sees an extra video connection being used. Under its setting, it should provide some display setting like [1] and [2] display monitor symbols. One or the other maybe highlighted or showing current setting as [1]. It's the TV side that causes the confusion, sort it out once you leave the laptop setting alone at default.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Consider updating your technology
by Bill_IT / March 25, 2014 4:47 AM PDT

I have implemented many such connections, and the absolute winner is unquestionably HDMI to HDMI, since HDMI carries the digital audio and video signals in high resolution. And the signals arrive in perfect synchronization.

If your TV lacks an HDMI receptacle, if you combine the VGA with the analog audio cables (also available as a single VGA/audio cable), you will often experience latency:--the sound will not be perfectly synchronized with the video. This will be most noticeable when someone is speaking on camera, or with a music performance group's video being unsynchronized with the playback of the sound. Some people don't seem to mind, but it drives me just a little crazy. Another potential drawback of this approach is that in order for it to work, the TV must share a VGA input with audio jacks (RCA pin jacks) on the same input channel.

One more reason for considering an upgrade to an LED flat-screen TV with HDMI input(s). Then, all will work fine on a single HDMI cable.

Collapse -
I've got HDMI but no sound
by jayess99 / March 25, 2014 5:08 AM PDT

I connected a 2yr old Dell laptop to a 5-6 yr old sharp tv, both HDMI, but there's no sound, except for the sound from the laptop (really cheesy). Do I need to change some setting or another? And a secondary question: I also use Roku to watch Netflix, but when I do, the sound will not come through to my surround sound system. Netflix says it's some kind of coding issue. any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Collapse -
Yes you have to change a setting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2014 5:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
HDMI Sound Issues
by Foyle-Flyer / March 27, 2014 12:30 PM PDT

I have had a few issues with HDMI Cables where the sound did not work or was badly distorted. The problem appeared to be caused by using a very old HDMI cable and a very cheap cable because after I purchased a new branded HDMI cable every thing worked fine. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Possible audio setup confusion
by Willy / March 27, 2014 2:18 PM PDT

I find when all these connections and setting across all the devices, things get out of hand. While I can sort it out, more often than not, there as already explained no real std. even the labeling can be confusing how that describes the ports or services. As for audio, once you get it through, then the devices all have to match what audio level/setting is, like 2.1/Dolby/5.1, etc.. for great sound. I had audio cut out because the user accidentally hit a button and the telecast didn't support that audio output and became silent, select through menu again to reset it. Less not forget "remote controls" that differ from what was provided, that's another learning curve. As someone else pointed out, HDMI cable can go bad or wonky. While a cheap cable will work, sometimes due to make-up break an int. wire and lose connection, one reason why more expensive cables cost more. However, those in the $60+ range seem excessive. good luck

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
VGA connection
by cywriter / March 25, 2014 6:44 AM PDT

My VGA is wireless. The end of the cable needs to be line of sight from the PC to the TV.

cywrite

Collapse -
Answer
Connect laptop to tv
by j.tobin1 / April 4, 2014 12:20 AM PDT

Syrinx77,

Did you check/set the "input" to the TV to HDMI. This is one of the settings which would normally be set to "Antenna/cable" or some such phrase.

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.