Camcorders forum

General discussion

Connect JVC Mini-DV camcorder to pc without firewire port

by alicia75 / July 21, 2007 10:55 AM PDT

I have a JVC Mini-DV camcorder that I would like to connect to my pc to upload video; however, my pc does not have a firewire port, only USB. I cannot find a cable anywhere to connect from my camcorder to my computer without this firewire port. I have been looking online for hubs that connect to the pc via usb that I can connect the Firewire to, but i am so confused on what I need and what I dont need at this point, I decided to turn to the experts. Anyone have any idea how i will ever be able to connect this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connect JVC Mini-DV camcorder to pc without firewire port
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connect JVC Mini-DV camcorder to pc without firewire port
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why not add firewire to the PC?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2007 11:14 AM PDT

It solves many issues as well the USB quality issue. My JVC came with the USB cable and software but it only is used to demo how bad the video is when we use that.

If you are in the US, budget 10 to 20 bucks for the card and cable.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks!
by alicia75 / July 21, 2007 1:05 PM PDT

Thanks for responding. I'm not sure exactly how to add a firewire port to the computer, i work on a laptop - Dell Inspiron 1501 - can a port be added to this with little effort? This is why i was looking for a external hub, but i see your point with the usb quality issue - i'd hate to upload crappy vids.

Collapse -
A laptop pushes the price up a little.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2007 10:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!
Collapse -
Why didnt I think of that?
by alicia75 / July 22, 2007 12:05 AM PDT

Thank You! You made this whole search game a lot less aggravating!! I appreciate you responding to my post.

Collapse -
Cable maze
by btone10 / June 6, 2008 7:20 AM PDT

Hello I think I have the same problem you had. I have a fairly new laptop but it has no firewire only usb 2.0. I cant find a cable to link it to my JVC camcorder mini dv, I am at a loss what did you do? Please help!

Collapse -
jvc connecting problems
by anna patyi / October 30, 2009 5:27 AM PDT

i have a gzmg35u jvc camcorder and i cant use the camcorder to play back anythig on it.i recieved many info on this but nothing is valuable up untill now it is a 35gb hard dive.the camera is working fine and thats it with it
usb dont work onthe pc wich is otherwise perfect

thanks a half a million

Collapse -
JVC Camcorder Connection
by JVCTechExpert / November 2, 2009 2:58 AM PST

I am with JVC and we would like to help.

As a general rule, Mini DV tape camcorders use Firewire. If your computer does not have Firewire, then you can get an outboard Firewire capture device that connect via USB. Pinnacle is one company that makes a good one. It is called the Pinnacle Studio Movie Box Plus.

If you have a JVC camcorder with a Hard Drive, as a general rule, your camcorder will use a USB connection. For Windows computers, it is often easiest to use the CD-ROM software that JVC includes. For Apple customers, the JVC software is not necessary. Our camcorders work very well with Apple iMovie '08 and iMovie '09, as well as the most recent versions of Apple Final Cut Pro.

For additional information, please contact JVC customer relations at 1-800-252-5722.

Collapse -
JVC mini DV cam to laptop
by lembang321 / April 30, 2010 2:43 PM PDT

I have a JVC GR-DVX camcorder; it is the earliest model I think, and has no firewire port. There is therefore no way of transferring mini DV tape to a computer (still images and video can be transferred via a capture device to a TV and from there to a non digital tape).
Can you recommend a solution to this problem as I have ten years worth of DV tapes which need editing and enjoying!

Collapse -
According to the JVC support area,
by boya84 / May 1, 2010 9:30 AM PDT

there are lots of "GR-DVX" camcorders and no manuals available for download... but I got one here
http://www.retrevo.com/support/JVC-GR-DVX-Camcorders-manual/id/210ag008/t/2/

And yes, indeed, that camcorder's got no DV connector - but does have a "JLIP" connector which is no longer supported. Assuming the video was captured to the miniDV tape in SP mode, you *could* get a miniDV tape based camcorder or deck that does have a firewire port...

The other option is to get an "analog/digital converter". Use the analog AV-out RCA jacks you normally use to connect the camcorder to a TV, but instead of connecting to the TV, connect the camcorder to the A/D converter. Then the A/D converter connects to the computer. Depending on the converter, either USB or firewire is used to connect the converter to the computer. The video quality of the USB units is not so good - Roxio, Hauppage and Pinnacle Dazzle are examples The firewire converters can provide pretty good (Canopus ADVC55 at the low end) quality.

I did see that the manual's cover and the specification page 81 indicate the GR-DVX is a PAL video format. If you go with a miniDV tape based camcorder, be sure it is PAL. NTSC camcorders will not work with the PAL encoded video. As well, be sure the A/D converter can deal with PAL...

Collapse -
transfering video from JVC DVR X digital video cam to comp.
by lembang321 / August 28, 2010 8:06 PM PDT

Thank you boya8 (very belatedly) for your sensible advice. I bought a Ion video2PC transfer system, and am happily transfering my dusty mini dv tapes to my laptop and thence to DVD.
In August I bought the system in the Tottenham Court Road in London, where I was grossly overcharged (it is advertised on the Ion website at US$25), so buyer beware!). After returning to the shop twice to resolve a software issue - drivers not loading, I contacted the Ion UK Customer Call Centre who answered on the second ring. The techy was unsurprised by my enquiry, which is a Windows 7 compatibility issue, and led me through the solution with patience and tact.
Its great to achieve a result after a long and sometimes frustrating search, and am very grateful to you and to CNET for your help and support.
Michael

Collapse -
Computers will not recognize JVC GRDl720U camcorder
by bernard Payton / June 11, 2010 12:26 AM PDT

I have a JVC GRDL720U camcorder and have been trying to download video to a Mac and a Dell, but neither machine recognizes the camera. I used a firewire cable with the Mac, but my Dell is not equipped with a firewire port. Your assistance would be appreciated.

Collapse -
Since no Mac or PC works with this camcorder.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2010 12:36 AM PDT

You have to arrange for repair. Firewire ports are blown too often so back to the repair shop.

Your comment about the Dell seems odd. You can add firewire for cheap today.
Bob

Collapse -
While I sort of agree
by boya84 / June 11, 2010 2:14 AM PDT

with Bob, would you care to expand on the Mac set up? Was the camcorder in "Play" mode? What application are you using on the Mac to import or capture the video. For than matter, what Macintosh (iMac, MacBook, etc...) are you using and which operating system is it running? Any detail on the firewire cable? Just want to be sure it is firewire and not USB. Is it 4-pin to 6-pin or 4-pin to 9-pin or 4-pin to 4-pin?

When you say the machine does not recognize the camcorder, what are you expecting the Mac to do that is "recognizes" the camcorder?

As for the Dell not having a 1394, port, some do, many don't. If the Dell has an available expansion slot, it is easy enough to add a firewire port... but we have no details about it, either. Operating system (and version) and model number would be a good start.

Collapse -
JVC camcorder issues
by bernard Payton / June 11, 2010 3:50 AM PDT
In reply to: While I sort of agree

Now, even the playback feature has stopped working. I guess its to take it to the repair shop or junk pile!

Collapse -
GR-DVL805--windows 7, samsung i-5 core, dynex 1394A express
by jorgeocampo8 / July 18, 2010 3:46 PM PDT

I can't get my camcorder to be recognized. I want to capture Mini DV tapes and transfer them to my laptop. All drivers have been updated. Not sure if I maybe have a bad cable. It this model meant to be used with a computer for transferring Mini DV tapes? Please advise, and thanks for your time.

--Jorgeocampo8

Collapse -
In my experience,
by boya84 / July 18, 2010 10:44 PM PDT

I have never seen a Dynex firewire card work. My understanding is the chipset is different. I have had no problems with Belkin or SIIG (and a few others).

The firewire cable is probably OK.

Collapse -
I agree.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2010 10:55 PM PDT
In reply to: In my experience,

I'd try this again but on a machine with a known working firewire port. Then replace that dynex. The dynex firewire card looks to be a dud too many times.

Collapse -
(NT) cant get my jvc on to my cumputer harddrive
by isobel robinson / August 14, 2010 8:26 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: jvc
by Kees Bakker / August 14, 2010 8:31 PM PDT

1. What do you mean? I've never put a camcorder on a hard drive. Only movies from it.
2. Why can't you? What do you do and what happens?
3. Did you already try everything suggested in the 17 posts in this thread before yours? And what happened then?

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.