TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Connect HD DVR to a DVD Recorder without loss in HD quality

by Outlier / August 15, 2006 11:23 AM PDT

As of this date (Aug. 15, 2006), I've looked everywhere and I can't find a High Def DVR (with dual tuner) that also records DVD's. So the next best thing I did was purchase a standalone DVD Recorder, the LG RC199H (for reasons I'll explain later).

The HD DVR I have is from Time Warner and has a dual tuner (Motorola 6412). This is also the cable box. What I ended up doing is hooking up component video cables DIRECTLY from the HD DVR to my tv (to maximize the HD quality since it won't be going through the DVD Recorder). Then additionally, I hooked up an S-video cable from the dvr to the dvd recorder, then a 2nd set of component cables from dvd recorder to an additional component video input on my tv (you might not be able to do it this way if your tv doesn't have a 2nd component video input - if it doesn't have a 2nd component input, then use a different input like S-video or composite). So video is going out SIMULTANEOUSLY to both the tv (via the component cables) and the dvd recorder (via the S-video cable). For the audio, I had to buy 2 audio cable splitters to share the audio out. You can also buy an Optical Digital Audio splitter for less than $10 if you prefer digital audio. I personally feel that this is the optimal set-up to maximize the HD when you watch directly from the HD DVR.

Also as of this date, I have not seen a DVD Recorder with Component video input or HDMI input (output yes, but not input). I tried connecting a 1394 firewire to the DV input on 3 DVD Recorders and none of them could recognize the DVR. This DV firewire port was meant for camcorders - not DVR's. So the only input on a DVD recorder as of this date that will maximize the HD is S-video. Make sure your DVD recorder has S-video input.

When you use the DVD Recorder to record from the HD DVR, your video signal will only be through the S-video cable and thus not as high quality as when you watch directly from the HD DVR (although I bet most won't be able to see a difference). Obviously, when you record a HD program to DVD, you won't capture the exact quality as HD but it is still noticeably better than recording a non-HD channel.

And also, with this set-up you don't have to leave your DVD recorder on as you watch tv (saves electricity). And if you plan to record anything in the middle of the night with your dvr, you won't have to leave your DVD recorder on as well.

I could have also connected my tv to my dvd recorder using video out on my tv but my tv's video out is only a composite cable, it doesn't have S-video out.

I tried 3 different DVD recorders: LG RC199H, a Samsung, and finally a Panasonic DMR ES35VS. I first chose the Panasonic because its S-video input is on the backside. The LG's is on the front (so your cables show which is not the most esthetic). Samsung's S-video input is on the backside but for some reason it wasn't even working - the composite video cable was working but the S-video input was not. Could have been a faulty unit but I never bothered to get it again.

With the Panasonic, you cannot edit regular DVD's (+R, -R, +RW, -RW, etc.). When I say edit, I mean you cannot create chapters (it doesn't create chapters automatically either), you cannot divide or get rid of unwanted segments, etc. You can only do this on the much more expensive DVD-RAM discs. And these DVD-RAM discs won't play on my computer DVD-ROM if I want to play it on my computer, nor will it play on most other older DVD players. Can you imagine recording a 2 hour movie with the Panasonic, and then finding out there are no chapters? So you have to watch it in one shot, you can't ever come back to it without fastforwarding for a long period of time. Also I called their customer service number 4 times - never got through once.

LG's customer service is no better. If you have a question that's not answered in the user's manual already, then chances are you're on your own. But on the upside, the LG DVD Recorder can edit DVD's, including your regular DVD's including +R, -R, +RW, -RW, etc. It even creates chapters for you automatically. There are a host of other editing functions that can be performed on regular DVD's, unlike the Panasonic. The only bad thing about the LG is that the S-video is on the front, so the 3 wires are an eye-sore, but I guess functionality will rule over esthetics.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connect HD DVR to a DVD Recorder without loss in HD quality
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connect HD DVR to a DVD Recorder without loss in HD quality
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HD DVR recorder
by Dan Filice / August 15, 2006 12:36 PM PDT

I'm not much help on most of your questions except that I don't think you will have much luck (with current equipment) finding an HD DVR that will output an HD signal via component or any other connection. It's probably because no one wants anyone to be able to record HD product (like HD cable movies) and sell them, etc. Also, HD is fairly new. Wait awhile and you may find an HD DVD recorder. I know they exist since HD and Blu-Ray blank media is sold. Question is: How do you get HD programming into the HD recorder?

Collapse -
Connect HD DVR to a DVD Recorder (using a receiver)
by Outlier / August 15, 2006 4:12 PM PDT
In reply to: HD DVR recorder

Dan, I really wasn't asking questions in my post, I just wanted to share with people know how I hooked it up and so far it has been a great connection that has maximized the HD quality.

Also, you stated: ''I don't think you will have much luck (with current equipment) finding an HD DVR that will output an HD signal via component or any other connection''

If that is the case, how do we watch High Def? The HD DVR I have is also the actual cable box from Time Warner and they advertise this as a HD box giving you the capability of watching HD. How else can we connect it to the TV? The options are component cables, S-video, composite cables, or HDMI. My TV doesn't have HDMI input so that's why I use the component cables. I'm not sure I understood what you said but when I compare the HD channels to their non-HD counterparts, I notice a significant difference. What I'm watching definitely looks High Def to me, and I'm pretty picky.

Today's TV's do have HDMI input which are perfectly capable of outputing HD signal at 1080p (compared to the component cables' 1080i) but I would bet most people wouldn't notice the difference.

Anyway, my previous post was done all without an AV Receiver. My next goal is to hook everything up to an AV Receiver and set up digital surround sound. I plan to transport the HD signal from the cable box (HD DVR) to the receiver via HDMI, then component cables from the receiver to the tv. As for the DVD Recorder, the cable box will connect to it via HDMI, then component cables from receiver to the tv. For the audio I plan to buy an Optical Digital Output Splitter to share the cable box's audio to both the tv and to the DVD recorder.

If anyone has any other suggestions on how to do it, please feel free to post it. At this point I am open to new ideas.

Collapse -
Recording HD from HD DVR
by Dan Filice / August 15, 2006 4:28 PM PDT

Sorry about the confusion on your post. But, for the HD output, yes, I know the cable box has component and HDMI output for HD (as mine has), but I thought the HD output from the cable boxes couldn't be fed into a recorder. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that the HD signal couldn't be recorded. Maybe I'm thinking of the new HD DVD players where component won't carry the HD signal and we are forced to use the HDMI for HD because it has some sort of copy protection inherent that forbids HD copying. HDMI is being forced as THE connection for HD from DVD players specifically for this purpose, but I would like to check on being able to record any HD content from a cable box or DVR into a recorder. Your HD DVR records HD content, then it plays into the TV, but...think in terms of connecting the video output of a DVD player into a TV (works fine) compared to hooking the same DVD video output into a recorder (copy guard in action!). Same connections, but somehow the player recognizes that a recorder is connected.

Collapse -
"True" HD not possible yet for DVD recording
by Outlier / August 15, 2006 4:34 PM PDT

Dan after reading your post again, I think when you stated:

''I don't think you will have much luck (with current equipment) finding an HD DVR that will output an HD signal via component or any other connection''

you meant outputting an HD signal to a DVD Recorder. In my original reply, I thought you were talking about from HD DVR to TV.

Anyway, you are absolutely correct. With today's equipment you can't connect an HD DVR to a regular DVD Recorder and still keep all the HD information. There are no inputs that allow this on a DVD Recorder. On today's DVD Recorder's, there is not even a component video input or an HDMI input (output yes, but not input). So you'll have to connect your HD DVR to your DVD Recorder using an S-video cable. I tried using 1394 firewire cable as the input with 3 different DVD Recorders and none of them could recognize the DVR (this 1394 input was meant for camcorders, not DVR's).

On the bright side, S-video cable is not that bad (I purchased a Monster Ultra 1000 S-video cable for $50). You still see high quality picture in the HD channels compared to their non-HD counterparts.

In my case, when I'm watching TV and I'm not recording anything, I watch on the TV's input where there is a direct connection from cable box to TV using the component video cables. So when I'm not recording, I'm still watching true HD through the component cables.

When I record using the DVD Recorder, I have to change the TV's input to where the DVD Recorder is connected by an S-video cable. Although this is not as high in quality as the direct input, it is still not shabby at all. In fact I bet alot of people wouldn't notice a difference. When I record an HD channel, it still appears much higher in quality than a non-HD channel (even though we know not all the HD information is there).

But if you really want a DVD recorder that shows true HD quality, you can wait until a Blue Ray or HD-DVD recorder comes out.

Collapse -
Motivation for getting DVD Recorder although none can do HD
by Outlier / August 15, 2006 5:27 PM PDT

By the way, my main motivation for getting a DVD Recorder was because I previously had a DVR (single tuner) that had capability to record DVD. I loved it and now I can't watch TV without a DVR. And I archive some programs I record to DVD. Some people say that people buy DVR's because they watch alot of TV but in my case it's reverse: I watch alot of TV because I have a DVR!

Anyway, my cable company, Time Warner, recently informed me that their HD DVR (with dual tuner) has just become available so now I can record 2 channels at once instead of just 1. I had been on a waiting list for this for several months. However, there is no DVD Recorder attached to the device like my previous one. Everywhere I've looked on the internet as of this date (Aug. 15, 2006), there are no HD DVR's (with dual tuners) that come with a DVD Recorder attached to it. So my main motivation on getting a standalone DVD Recorder was to archive programs from my HD DVR, whether they were in HD or not. In fact, most shows that I archive are not in HD so it wasn't critical for me that I get a DVD Recorder that can record "true" HD. If your main motivation is so that you can record "true" HD (without any loss in the signal), then you are better off waiting until the Blue Ray or HD-DVD Recorders come out.

I really can't imagine someone waiting for this since out of the hundreds of channels you get, less than 20 are HD channels.

And again, even with today's DVD Recorders, programs recorded in HD are still noticeably higher in quality than programs recorded in non-HD.

Collapse -
Connect HD DVR to DVD Recorder "without loss in HD quality"
by Outlier / August 15, 2006 5:43 PM PDT

I just want to make clear that when I posted the title, Connect HD DVR to a DVD Recorder ''without loss in HD quality'', I meant ''without loss of HD quality'' when you watch TV. I didn't mean ''without loss of HD quality'' when you record DVD's because with today's DVD Recorder's, they aren't equipped to record a HD signal (although an S-video cable makes a great substitute).

Alot of people would connect their HD DVR to their DVD Recorder, and then make the connection from DVD Recorder to TV. When you hook it up this way, you will inevitably lose HD quality when you are simply watching TV because of the loss of HD signal between HD DVR and DVD Recorder.

The way I suggested to hook it up in my first post is so that you won't lose HD quality when you're just watching TV. You hook up the HD DVR directly to the TV and the HD DVR directly to the DVD Recorder (a parallel connection as opposed to a series connection). By hooking it up this way, you'll lose some HD quality when you record DVD's (but still get great quality with the S-video cable), but you'll get full HD quality when you watch TV (because of the direct component video cable connection or HDMI connection between HD DVR to TV).

This is what I meant when I stated ''without loss in HD quality''.

Collapse -
HD recorders
by Dan Filice / August 16, 2006 2:30 AM PDT

Outlier,

Got it. I understand your post. But even when BluRay or HD DVD recorders come out, I wonder where they will receive the HD signal from to record DVDs in HD? If the HD DVRs don't allow HD output, then the only think we could plug into the recorders that are HD would be HD camcorders. My cable box outputs HD through component connections and it also has an HDMI-out connection, but I have nothing to test whether this would give me HD into an HD recorder. I certainly get HD to my TV via the component and HDMI, but that's not a recorder. Hmmmm....I wonder if any of us will ever be able to record HD into an HD DVD recorder from a cable or satellite source? It would be nice to archive HD TV shows in HD, like shows from the Discovery HD Channel, so I can watch them again later.

Collapse -
Future HD DVD recorders
by Outlier / August 16, 2006 9:51 AM PDT
In reply to: HD recorders

Dan, you raise some good questions. My HD DVR (which is also my cable box from Time Warner, a Motorola 6412) does allow HD output through component video cables and also has HDMI output. My guess is that the future Blue Ray and HD-DVD recorders will have HD input through component video cables or HDMI In. If you notice on today's DVD recorders, they don't have component video In or HDMI In (they have Out, but not In). Perhaps this will be the change of the future recorders.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) magnavox/philips has burners out with component in
by masterying01 / August 16, 2006 10:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
What is the Magnavox/Philips DVD recorder model number?
by Outlier / August 16, 2006 3:12 PM PDT

Hi, can you give me a model #? I still have 30 days to return my LG if I wanted to. Does it also have component video Out or HDMI Out? If it doesn't have component video Out or HDMI Out, then it really doesn't matter because your connection is only as good as your worst connection. If it has component In but only S-video Out, then the video quality will only be as good as S-video Out. Please let me know.

How about digital audio In? Does it have it? Or is it just the 2 analog audio cables?

I actually don't have a complaint about my set-up where my HD-DVR (HD cable box) is connected to my LG DVD recorder by an S-video cable. I purchased the Monster Ultra 1000 S-video cable for $50 and I do see a difference. But if there is component in, I'm willing to give it a try.

Collapse -
Can you get 5.1 audio on the DVD
by chagan / August 16, 2006 2:17 AM PDT

Hello, I have been wanting to do exactly what you discribed in your post. But what about the audio??? When I record a show in HD the sound is 5.1. Can I keep the audio quality? or do I have to down grade to sterio? Do the DVD recorders have digital audio input?

Collapse -
5.1 Surround Sound with the HD-DVR to DVD Recorder hook-up
by Outlier / August 16, 2006 6:08 AM PDT

Chagan, this is why it's important to check out the DVD Recorder before you buy one. In my case, I bought the LG RC199H (I wanted a VHS attached to it so I can get rid of my VCR as well). Right now I'm not using 5.1 audio, but according to page 17 on its user's manual, it states Digital Multi-channel sound is possible and that it supports Dolby Digital, DTS, and MPEG 2.

Also, on the back of the unit I see inputs for both coaxial digital input and optical digital input.

If you want to connect it the way I first described (simultaneous connection from HD DVR to DVD Recorder and also from HD DVR to TV), you'd have to buy an Optical (or Coaxial if it exists) digital audio splitter to share the audio to both the DVD Recorder and to the TV. You can find this splitter for less than $10.

While we're on the topic, I had a question if anyone knows: I haven't hooked up a receiver yet but I plan to buy an AV Receiver to get surround sound as well. When I connect my DVD Recorder to it, it will be capable of connecting to it via HDMI. If I did this, I'm wondering if the Receiver would then only accept audio from the HDMI cable? Since sound coming from the Optical Digital Audio cable would be higher in quality than coming from the HDMI, would it be possible to connect an HDMI cable for video, but then configure the receiver so that it accepts its audio from the optical digital audio cable? If anyone knows, any input would be appreciated.

Collapse -
Correction - Record 5.1 audio from HD DVR to DVD Recorder
by Outlier / August 16, 2006 6:34 AM PDT

Chagan, I just took another look at my DVD Recorder and the back of the unit only has Optical or Coaxial Digital Audio OUT (not in). So you can forget about the previous post where I mentioned you can get a splitter to share the digital audio out (unless other DVD Recorder brands have Digital Audio In but I doubt it - for the same reason none of them have HDMI IN or component video IN).

It looks like you'll have to connect analog audio cables from HD DVR to DVD Recorder and then lose the 5.1 audio if you record an HD show to a DVD.

However, while watching the HD show using your TV's input (direct from the HD-DVR and not through the DVD Recorder) and you have it connected the way I described in my first post, you'll still get 5.1 audio as you WATCH it (but not when you record it). So this definitely is a downside for your DVD's but you'll still get the 5.1 audio experience as you watch it (if that's any consolation). My guess is that I don't think any DVD Recorder has Digital Audio Input yet (perhaps this will be a feature of future Blue Ray or HD-DVD recorders).

On the upside, you can still watch regular DVD's with 5.1 audio since you'll still be able to connect an optical digital audio cable from the DVD Recorder to the Receiver (since this is an outgoing connection). So when you watch your regular DVD's, they will have 5.1 audio but the DVD's recorded from your HD DVR won't.

Collapse -
Recording HD to DVD Recorders
by Barrie55 / August 20, 2006 12:59 AM PDT

You will not be able to record HD Programing to any DVD Recorder anyway even if a HD Recorder does exist because the HD Signal has a copyguard written into it.
The only answer to copying HD signal may be using a HD Dvd Burner on your PC using some sort of HD DVD Ripping software, that I dont think has even been written yet.
I have a dual tuner pvr from Bell and four DVD Recorders, the pvr only has HDMI, COMPONET, and RCA outputs, NO S-Video output. I can however connect the RCA outputs to my DVD Recorders but only the Sony DVD Recorder will record HD content, tho others wont because of the copyguard signal.I've been told tho the newer Sony DVD Recorders will not accept the HD signal from the pvr.
I guess I will just continue repairing the Sony DVD Recorder over and over again forever (when it needs it).

Collapse -
Not true.
by brookeb / August 20, 2006 3:39 AM PDT

I have a Pioneer DVD-Recorder with an 80 Gig Hard Drive (probably an older model) and I'm able to record High Definition programs and transfer them to DVDs just fine.

The only problem is that the high-def programming is recorded at a different format, so the picture I get is about 2/3 the size of the original.

It's OK if you MUST have the picture quality high-def brings you, but I rarely record high-def programming because most of my cable signal is digital, so the regular channels give me the quality I can live with.

Collapse -
HD recording
by Dan Filice / August 20, 2006 3:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Not true.

brookeb,

I'm interested in how you have your HD cable box connected to your DVD recorder. Are you using the component cables or HDMI? And, are you using an HD DVD recorder...such as a BluRay or HD-DVD recorder? If you record anything to a standard DVD, it's not HD. And, if you are not using blank BluRay or HD DVD media, it's not HD.

Collapse -
Recording HD to DVD Recorders
by Outlier / August 21, 2006 9:15 AM PDT

Barrie55, are you sure that the HD copyright prevention isn't a result of the actual movie being copyrighted? My LG RC199H DVD recorder can record programs off of HD channels but not all. For example, many movies from HBO are copyrighted so the LG gives a message that it can't be recorded. But I can still record alot of other programs from HD channels that aren't copyrighted. Obviously they won't be as high in quality as ''true'' HD (since I can only use an S-video cable) but they do seem to have noticeably higher quality than their regular non-HD channel counterparts (I paid $50 for a Monster Ultra 1000 S-video cable).

By the way, my dual tuner DVR from Time Warner has HDMI, RCA, component, and S-video outputs. It's a Motorola 6412. I guess I'm lucky that it had an S-video output.

You're right though, if you plan to record alot of copyrighted HD movies, then you'll have to wait until HD/Blueray DVD recorders and ripping software comes out.

Collapse -
Interesting test
by Dan Filice / August 21, 2006 10:23 AM PDT

I record Discovery HD to VHS, so I would assume that I might meet with the same "non-copy" issue from some HD HBO movies, etc. I'll have to try that. The reason your "HD to DVD recording" looks better is because the source material is much better than a lot of crud that airs on standard broadcast. I'm not sure, but I wonder if the HD material is recording in 480p? This would account for the better picture, even through an S-Video connection.

Collapse -
A word about copyrighted programs
by Outlier / August 21, 2006 12:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Interesting test

Dan, long before I got the HD and the DVD recorder, I was recording using VHS. The VHS was connected to the TV via the RF coaxial cable (not through RCA or component cables). I was able to record any program to VHS tape, even copyrighted HBO movies. Then I got a regular non-HD DVR with DVD recording capability (it was an LG). The copyrighted HBO movies could be recorded into the DVR but when I tried burning it to DVD through the same DVR, a message appeared that it could not be recorded due to copyright. Then I tried recording the same copyrighted movies just using VHS and it worked fine.

Afterwards I bought a DVD/VHS recorder so that I could convert VHS to DVD. When I tried converting those same copyrighted movies from VHS to DVD, low and behold, a message appeared saying that they were copyrighted and could not be copied to DVD.

An interesting test would be to connect your VHS machine to your computer using a video card and try to burn a copyrighted movie to DVD using a computer DVD-ROM (with the appropriate software).

Collapse -
VHS to DVD I've done...
by Dan Filice / August 21, 2006 4:57 PM PDT

All you need is a proper analog-to-digital converter that side-steps copyguard. I've copied VHS movies to DVD many times. It's just not worth it, for all the time it takes, and the quality suffers. Anytime you convert to digital, the blacks and contrast suffer, no matter what you do. I didn't copy a VHS movie for any illegal purpose. I did it because the movie isn't in DVD format yet and I simply wanted to get it to a DVD so I can take it on vacation with me to watch on my portable DVD player. But it's a pain. Anyone who does this with any regularity is (IMHO) an idiot. For $10, buy the DVD. And, if the movie exists in a DVD format, ripping programs are MUCH easier to use than importing an entire 2hr movie in real time, not to mention the time it takes to encode the video and burn the DVD. Anyways, once the analog video signal is converted to DV, I import it into my computer via Firewire, use my software to format the movie, then burn the DVD. I use a Mac, so all of the above steps are very simple.

Collapse -
Analog-to-digital converter
by Outlier / August 22, 2006 5:15 AM PDT

Dan, I've never used an analog-to-digital converter but I've taped programs on VHS to my digital camcorder (long before I got the DVD/VHS combo recorder). In effect this is converting it to DV format because it goes onto my camcorder's DV mini-tape. After that, I've done the same and imported the DV tape into my computer with firewire. But you're right, it's a big pain and hassle to go through the process. Does your analog-to-digital converter still have to go through a DV mini-tape before going into your computer? What is the make/model of it?

Collapse -
Converter
by Dan Filice / August 22, 2006 7:04 AM PDT

Outlier,

My converter is made by Canopus. The model was ADVC-100, which was replaced with newer models. My model had a hidden ability to bypass copyguard if you pressed and held certain buttons for 15 seconds and I don't think the newer models have this ability. And no, I don't need to feed VHS to DV tape. Any analog device (VHS deck, old 8mm camcorder, etc) plugs into the converter, either by RCA or S-Video plugs, and the converter spits out Firewire which goes directly into the computer. Basically, I have a VHS/DVD combo deck plugged permanently into the converter which is plugged permanently into my Mac. I use it now primarily to record some TV shows on VHS and burn DVDs of them for future multiple viewings. Such as recently, I recorded the HBO comdey special from Lewis Black and I burned a DVD of it. It's hilarious and I watch it often.

Collapse -
How to record to use on PC
by jb_222 / August 26, 2006 9:24 AM PDT

I just purchased an LG RC199H DVD/VHS RECORDER AND I'M UNABLE TO READ A SONY DVD+R RECORDED ON THIS RECORDER ON

1-THE SONY DVD+RW DW-Q58A DVD/CD BURNER ON MY DELL LATTITUDE D620 WITH DUAL CORE LAPTOP

OR THE

2-SONY DVD RW DRU-800A USB CONNECTED TO THE SAME LATTITUDE D620

Can you help me make adjustments (when recording or on my pc)to enable one or both of these to read and play the dvd on my pc and other pcs.

other info - windows xp

Thank you.

jb_222@hotmail.com

Collapse -
Finalize the DVD to make it play on other devices
by Outlier / August 28, 2006 9:55 AM PDT

JB_222, there are 2 things I can think of:

1) You need to finalize the DVD. If you don't finalize it, it won't be able to play on other devices. To finalize the DVD, press Home on the remote, then go to Easy Menu, then Disc Manager, then Finalize. Note the instructions on the user's manual was incorrect on how to locate this.

2) I think that was your problem. If this didn't work, I personally recommend Memorex DVD's. I don't work for Memorex but ever since I've had a CD burner and a DVD burner, they've seemed to be the most reliable. Just a personal opinion.

Hope this helped...

Collapse -
New DVD Recorder with Component input!!
by tfriel / September 8, 2006 12:21 PM PDT

Hey,
Was looking at your original post here, I recently saw advertised and actually just purchased the Polaroid DVD Recorder DRM-2001-G. This is stand alone DVD recorder with 80 GB HD built in, but what really attracted me was that it had a component INPUT as well as output.
I don't have the HD DVR Cable box, but I do have regular digital HD cable box, which I plan to hook up to DVD Recorder. I realize this will not record true HD quality, but it should still be pretty good.
Also of note, reading in other forums, this DVD recorder can easily be upgraded, plug and play style with much larger HD....pretty sweet deal, not too expensive.

Jjust thought you would like to know, there is at least one DVD recorder with Component INPUT.

Collapse -
Polaroid DRM-2001G DVD Recorder
by Outlier / September 8, 2006 4:04 PM PDT

Hey, thanks for the info. I tried looking up info on the Polaroid DVD recorder and I found this page:

http://www.polaroid.com/global/detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441764403&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302032643&bmLocale=en_US

The page doesn't mention anything about component input. Are you seeing this with your own eyes on your own machine? Or is there a webpage that has a pic of the back? If so, could you give me the url?

I'm a little surprised to see that a newly released DVD recorder doesn't play or record the newest DVD format, the DVD-RAM. At least that's what the page says, do you know differently?

As I mentioned in earlier posts, my HD box is also a DVR. It looks like this Polaroid DVD Recorder also acts as a DVR with the 80 GB drive. It'd be interesting to hook up my HD DVR to another DVR. An advantage of this would be that I could probably record a program without having to watch it (I could simply switch the input and watch TV as a DVD is being recorded).

Can you tell me if this machine has the option to automatically or manually create chapters? Some DVD recorders (like the Panasonic) don't have the ability to do this unless it's a DVD-RAM. And what are its slow motion speeds? My LG has slow motion speeds of 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, and 1/2. I want this because I watch and records lots of sports.

I have about a week left to return my LG and I might do so if you reply in time. Thanks!

Collapse -
by ecurb1 / September 9, 2006 11:32 AM PDT

I downloaded the manual. It doesn't do RAM disks. Slowest playback is 1/8. It has component video in back.

Collapse -
by Outlier / September 9, 2006 4:11 PM PDT

ecurb1, does it at least have the ability to create chapters? (either automatically or manually)

Collapse -
RE: Polaroid DRM-2001G DVD Recorder
by tfriel / September 9, 2006 1:08 PM PDT

Well, I have good news....and I have bad news.
Yes, there most definetly is component INPUT and OUTPUT, the bad news is, I hooked up High Def Cable box component out, to the DVD component input, but when I tuned in the HD channels....the picture is scrambled....not sure if it is a resolution or problem with the cable. Now the recorder also has S-Video input, which i used next, the HD picture comes through and looks better than regular channels....Excellent quality with the s-video.
Now I did query tech support, didn't expect to get much help, they were nice and responsive, but there answer to the component not working on high def channels was that the cable wasn't able to transfer the signal.
Overall I'm pretty happy so far...it does what i need it to for now, probably upgrade to Tivo series 3 when it comes out.

Collapse -
by Outlier / September 9, 2006 4:30 PM PDT

Ffriel, this comes as no surprise to me. I'm just wondering why in the world they have Component In in the first place if it can't receive the cable signals? I highly doubt that it will receive the Component Out of a BlueRay DVD player or HD DVD player either.

Anyway, I would still consider getting this or another DVD recorder with a hard drive because the biggest drawback of my setup is that I have to watch through the programs in real time as I record them to DVD.

Is this Polaroid machine a ''true'' DVD recorder or is it a DVR that has a DVD recording capability? There is a difference. With a ''true'' DVD recorder like mine, it records in real-time: when I press record, it starts recording at that time and when I press pause, it'll pause the recording at that exact spot - just like recording with a VCR, so you can edit out the commercials. With a DVR that has DVD recording ability, it'll record an entire 1 hour program even if you pressed the record button 20 minutes into it. And you won't be able to edit out the commercials - it's not true ''real-time'' recording. For example, say that you start watching a TV program that runs from 8 to 9. You start watching at 8 and after 20 minutes you decide you like it and want to record so you press the record button at 8:20. The DVR will have the program recorded starting at 8 and will record until 9 (unless you stop it). If you don't stop it, it'll still end at 9.

So I'm basically wondering if I'll be able to record programs from my HD box's hard drive (which is also a dual-tuner DVR) to this Polaroid DVD recorder's hard drive. Once my programs are on the Polaroid's hard drive, I'll be able to record those programs to DVD. And while those programs are recording, I'd be able to switch my TV's input and watch regular TV from my HD box (instead of having to watch the program again as it records). However, I am skeptical if this would actually work. It'd be very interesting to see if one can record from one DVR's hard drive to another DVR's hard drive. Has anyone ever tried this? This would be the optimum set-up so you won't have to watch the programs again to record them onto DVD.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.