TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Connect Flat Screen to Cable box in different room?

by SpongeBobVT / January 28, 2008 5:19 AM PST

Just wondering if there is any way to have my cable box receiver in a different room as my flat screen tv? I was hoping there is some type of antenna or signal re-director that would allow me to have my cable box in a different room but still be able to change channels through my tv since I don't have a place for the dable box.

Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connect Flat Screen to Cable box in different room?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connect Flat Screen to Cable box in different room?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm not aware of any solutions
by Dan Filice / January 28, 2008 5:33 AM PST

Do you currently have a cable box connected to your TV, and if so, don't you tune the channels through the cable box? That would need to stay the same. I'm just a bit confused because you want to change channels through your TV. Having a cable box means that you will never use your TV for channel changing. So, if you move the cable box to another room, I guess you'd need to walk to that room to change channels.

Collapse -
not sure I understand completely, but....
by mstraig / January 28, 2008 11:44 PM PST

If you're trying to get the video from the cable box in another room, there's no way that I know of to do that wirelessly.

If you're just talking about being able to change the channel from the room the tv is to the room the cable box is in....depends on distance. You can try an RF universal remote, instead of an IR which is probably what came with your TV and Cable remote.

I used to have a cable box/surround receiver in a basement that I tied th main level living room into. I simply used some twisted pair copper wire and connect an IR remote eye on the main level, and ran it to the equipment in the basement, which tyes into another small eye that you stick the equipment IR eye. Smarthome.com is a great place to start looking for that type of application.

Collapse -
Thanks mstraig
by SpongeBobVT / January 29, 2008 1:18 AM PST

I think what you are saying makes sense. I'm wondering if this will do the trick... http://www.smarthome.com/8045i.html

You are right in that i'm basically just trying to change the cable box channels from a different room.

thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Very interesting device, but this..
by ahtoi / January 30, 2008 12:02 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks mstraig

is also very interesting. I really don't understand the disclaimer below. Of course I personally have never seen a remote with a built-in rechargable battery (must be one of those very expensive remote).

"The internal RF Adapter is NOT COMPATIBLE with remote controls using built-in rechargeable battery packs. However, if your remote uses AA or AAA batteries, this product is exactly what you need!"

Collapse -
Thanks mstraig
by SpongeBobVT / January 29, 2008 1:18 AM PST

I think what you are saying makes sense. I'm wondering if this will do the trick... http://www.smarthome.com/8045i.html

You are right in that i'm basically just trying to change the cable box channels from a different room.

thanks for your help.

Collapse -
by dblake862 / September 15, 2010 2:29 AM PDT

We have a bit TV in out <a href="http://www.elitelifestylesunrooms.com/">screen rooms Florida</a>! It's really nice to watch TV while being Outdoors.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.