Windows Vista forum

connect a vista laptop to existing XP wireless home network

by nichosi / February 3, 2013 6:25 PM PST

How can I connect a vista laptop to existing wireless home network with other 3 xp machines.

I followed googled info but keep chasing my tail as all effords end trying to make an internet connection.

My router is Negear wired & wireless capable in which 2 PCs are wired & an Acer netbook wireless connected, all 3 XP machines.

Hewlett-Packard Compaq Presario CQ61 Notebook PC
2.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual-Core
160gb HD, 3GB Ram
32 operating system

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: connect a vista laptop to existing XP wireless home network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: connect a vista laptop to existing XP wireless home network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
RE: network
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 3, 2013 7:07 PM PST

Adding a Vista PC to an existing LAN isn't different than adding the earlier XP machines:
- workgroup name
- identical account
- share the folders and printers you want to share
So just repeat what you did earlier.

Collapse -
connect a vista laptop to existing XP wireless home network
by nichosi / February 4, 2013 1:59 AM PST

as per my 1st post, is not same proceedure in vista as in XP where I did it many times.

Collapse -
Just for fun.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2013 2:02 AM PST

I booted up my last Vista laptop and while the buttons and names change a little the procedure is identical. I had to connect to the same workgroup and do all the same things I did in XP with accounts and more.

Nothing really changed.

Collapse -
Vista Laptop's erratic operation
by nichosi / February 4, 2013 5:31 AM PST
In reply to: Just for fun.

Besides loosing the add/remove fanction, now the IE9 when opened takes 70secs to open each page making it unusable.

I tried to download & install again IE9 in MS site but nothing happens.

The win explorer functions OK and so are all other programs, word, etc.

Chrome works OK.

Where can I find the place for returning to a previous condition?

Collapse -
I'm left to guess what you mean.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2013 5:41 AM PST

The Add/Remove Programs is now Programs and Features. Once I found that it was almost identical to the old Add/Remove Programs control app.

About IE9. Yup, it can be a dog. I left it alone and don't call it out much. I figure most do the same.

What previous condition? XP? That's a long story as you find your XP SP2 or later CD, then ask the maker how to install XP. Sometimes it's a lot of work. Link follows as an example where you must call the maker to find the secret locations of the drivers. Notice they are not on the web site?

Collapse -
That's a totally new problem.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 4, 2013 5:42 AM PST

Two problems, maybe: Control Panel>Add Remove missing and IE much too slow.

System Restore is in the Start menu, easy to find with Help and Support also.
System Recovery is on the makers recovery disks and/or partition.

Collapse -
That's a totally new problem.
by nichosi / February 4, 2013 7:16 PM PST

Found Backup & restore but on second thought the laptop is working fine only IE9 is unworkable.

And BTW there is nowhere to find "wireless network Setup wizard " as in XP to make this laptop network with my existing XP home network, via Netgear Router & broadband.

Also although IE9 is not workable the Chrome one works OK but I cannot stand it.

Tryed to download & reinstall IE9 from microsoft with no success.

I feel I may have to wipe the HD & install my old trusted XP & everything else.

Collapse -
Re: wireless network setup
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 4, 2013 8:47 PM PST

If the wireless network works for browsing the internet, it will work also in a LAN.

No special setup needed, except entering the workgroup name in the properties of (My) Computer. That's the way Bob and I use to do that from Windows 98 onward (as part of setting up a PC: give it a name and a workgroup), so that's nothing new. In fact, it's older than the wizard you mention.

Anyway,success with installing XP if you're going to do that. But be sure you have the recovery disks to go back to Vista, so you can do that if it doesn't work out. You wouldn't be the first that's forced to switch to Linux because they can't get XP working and find buying a new Vista too expensive.

Collapse -
wireless network setup
by nichosi / February 5, 2013 7:04 AM PST

1. click Network & Sharing

2. click Setup connection or network

4. click Manually connect to wireless network

From then on I tried all options available and whatever I do it goes to setup an internet connection.

How do you do it, step by step please.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.