Networking & Wireless

General discussion

Connect 2 computers (10 miles away) using wireless tech.

by ahsanonline / October 4, 2004 11:28 PM PDT

I need sum advice on wht hardware 2 use to connect 2 computers (using wireless networking) about 10 miles away in the city.

The computer (at the workplace) has the 1.5 Mbps connection and i want to share that with the other computer (the one at my home).

Cud some1 advice me on wht kinda equipment i'd be needing?

Thankx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connect 2 computers (10 miles away) using wireless tech.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connect 2 computers (10 miles away) using wireless tech.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Connect 2 computers (10 miles away) using wireless tech.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2004 11:42 PM PDT
Collapse -
Lol
by gnawebmaster / March 28, 2009 11:55 AM PDT

If you don't know how to do it please don't tell someone else that it can't be done because I'm in town and a friend of mine is about 11.5 miles away in the country and he has no other way to connect to the internet, other than DIAL UP! Yes dial up is a joke so I did some playing around with routers and such and before you know it I got a call that he was connecting through my network at a wopping 45 mbps, yes mbps because I have my connection right through sprint link... So it does work... Check it out because you can learn too...

Collapse -
It's been a few years.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2009 1:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Lol

Can you update us to what's changed in 5 years?

I'm locking this old post so you can start a new post with the 10 to 20 mile link solutions.
Bob

Collapse -
by hackman_3vilGuy / October 5, 2004 12:38 AM PDT

Okay some things you might need...

A very big high gain antenna probably yagi at both ends more or less line of sight. Make sure your wireless ap has a detachable antenna. Preferably your one at work should have as well.

Note: The amount of power output you will need is illegal unless you apply for a radio amateurs license where you have to pass a test like I did and then you might be in the clear. Happy

I doubt it would work in the city as I have a 15dbi omni (basically nearly best omni for under

Collapse -
As was mentioned. . .
by Coryphaeus / October 5, 2004 9:52 AM PDT

Unless you are Bill Gates kin, the cost would be prohibitive.

But some phone companies allow networking through their network. SBC offers a home network without a router on your site.

Good luck,
Telephony facts, analog/digital explained.
See the CNet faces behind the posts.

I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - - Stephen W. Hawking

Collapse -
by ahsanonline / October 7, 2004 7:33 PM PDT

Many misconceptions here...first of all i am in Pakistan...there aren't many regulations of how much power you can use to transmit data...and there is no FCC regulations to follow here...also, hackers here dont exist much, especially where i live...no one would be bothered to tap into my network and steal confidential information (if there is any)..

So...the microwave idea seems nice...

costs of 1.5Mbps bandwidth are sky high...can only be afforded by the top educational institutes like mine. So...it would be better for me to make this wireless link.

Thanks anywayz to da ppl who gave me da advice.

Collapse -
by deco / October 7, 2004 8:02 PM PDT

You might want to consider a program that lets you have complete access to a remote location . I'm not sure how it would work without someone on the other end, but VNC has a decent program, and it's a free download. try www.realvnc.com for more info.

Collapse -
Try Motorola Canopy P2P solutions
by artek-studio / April 23, 2006 5:03 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re connect 2 computers by wireless
by remero / May 21, 2008 10:13 PM PDT

sure it can be done. look at the beam width and gain of the two antennas. this freq is line of site so buildings terRAIN ETC CAN BOUNCE THE SIGNAL AND AFFECT THE QUALITY/STRENGTH of the signal

you gotta match impedences. and use low loss fittings depending on how far from the antennas to the computer. that is 100 foot run of coax drops the receiver sensitivity and or the transmitter power. ( thus the guy stating you need higher power. KEEP CABLE RUNS SHORT AS POSSIBLE. USE PROPER ADAPTERS. the SMA RPA connector on the wireless card must be adapted TO RG-8/9 transmission line so the impedence of the SMA/RPA fitting must be transformed to the 50 ohm impedence of the RG-8/9(use low loss cable if you can find it) the adapters are availableof ebayy or web. try it for a few bucks investment. Folks steal wireless connection (free) all the time for unsecure networks. so use your system with secure WEP/WPA secureity password protected.. try it.

Collapse -
I'm not sure how much you can spend...
by nexionsd / September 26, 2008 4:44 AM PDT

I work for a company that does exactly what you need reliably at gigabit speed. You likely could do this for a lot less with some hacking, but I doubt you will see the reliability or maintained speed. In fact our product has been tested thoroughly in your region of the world. It has an operating temp of -33 to +55 Celsius (-27 to +131 Fahrenheit). It has a data rate of 1250mbps and is a pole mounted outdoor transceiver that takes a fibre LC or RJ-45 ethernet connector. This carrier grade hardware however, and as such the price is VERY prohibitive. However, it is cheap when you consider how much it costs to trench 10 miles. Check us out even if this won?t solve your problem as it is quite a cool product and you may find use for us down the line.

Ted Suter
E-Band Communications
www.e-band.com

Collapse -
by cudaguy71 / October 7, 2004 8:10 PM PDT

You will need the following:
2 - Linksys 2.4GHz Wireless Access Point Model: WAP11
2 - Andrew Mag Grid antennas #26T-2400-1
2 - Weatherproff Boxes
Enough Cat-5 cable to reach computer.
Enough coax cable to go from WAP11 to antenna.

Mount WAP11's in boxes next to antennas, run power cable to box, run Cat5 to computer at home and to network switch at work.

You will need to set the WAP11's to single antenna mode.

I am running this configuration at 8.2 miles at present and it works good.

You can get the WAP11's at Best Buy for $60.00 ea.
The antenna are from Andrew.com for $128.50 ea.

Enjoy, Eddie

Collapse -
by viperiontech / October 8, 2004 3:28 AM PDT

10 mile point-to-point solutions come in varying flavors. Eddie, you have recommended and excellent solution for budget concious users. I happen to be the managing partner and lead wireless network designer for Viperion Technology Partners, LLC., a wireless ISP (WISP). The only thing I would recomend is passive lightening supression using a gas tube arrestor (about $20.00) and calculating a RF decible link budget before buying anything.

Good chouice of equipment Eddie!

Chris Walker
www.viperionpartners.com

Collapse -
1.5m file sharing through densely populated area
by pereranver / February 21, 2006 7:25 AM PST

I am looking to share files with a friend of mine who lives about 1.5 miles away from me. I need to send the wireless signal through a densely populated area of East Brunswick, NJ. I want to do it the way Eddie from the other reply to the ten mile network suggested but i want to know if i can save some money by not making it as powerful. Also i need to know what kind of equipment i need to recieve the signal at my friends house and if he can still use his DSL service with mine transmitting the wireless signal. A reply would be very welcome.

Stephen Shanko

Collapse -
point to point link
by yellowaj / August 26, 2008 3:26 AM PDT

there are lots of great point to point wireless kits out on the market today. we have seen lots of success with the ubiquiti nanostations and powerstations-they are extremely inexpensive and easy to use. they would make easy work of your situation.
check them out at http://www.diy-wirelessisp.com
hope that helps

Collapse -
Sending video 5miles over WiFi from a battery powered camera
by powelwa / March 6, 2005 12:41 AM PST

My name is Walt Powell and I am the president of an information services company in Houston, TX. I am trying to solve a personal (and fun) problem and not one for my business.

Here?s my situation. I have a Ranch House in a very rural location in south Texas. The ranch is about 10 miles by 10 miles. In the middle of the ranch is our ranch house. I was able to get the local telco (Valley Telephone Cooperative) to provide DSL to our house. At the house, I?ve now installed a Digital Video Recorder and 5 CCTV cameras where we can monitor the ranch house (we?ve had some theft problems) over the internet.

Now I?m wanting to go a step further. Around our ranch I have 20 to 30 feeding locations where we feed protein year-round, and have food plots established to help out our whitetail deer herd. What I?d like to do is find a very low cost way of getting the video feed from a camera in many of the feed locations back to the camp house. In most instances, the house is no more than 3 ? 5 miles from the house, but we do have some feed stations that are 8 miles away (no power at any location). The terrain is also hilly, so we might need to put repeaters (????) at the hill tops to provide line-of-sight to the ranch house.

I use WiFi using a Linksys WAP-11 (at home and) at the ranch house attached to a router off the DSL modem. However, this only gives me a distance of maybe 50 to 75 feet (mostly inside the ranch house.

Is there a way to use WiFi to get a video feed (from CCTV or IP based cameras) at any of our feeding stations sent back to the ranch house so we can record any motion detected by our DVR and then be able to view the deer activity over our existing Internet connection?

I?d appreciate any help you might provide. As a memory jogger, your posting was in Oct of last year and you replied to a gentleman named Eddie who detailed what equipment the man in Pakistan needed for his low cost extension of his office bandwidth.

Collapse -
amplifie signal
by the_kid202 / April 17, 2006 1:48 PM PDT

Try to use slanpro wireless routers it has 1 wats output its a little bit more expensive than others but can solve the problem

greetings

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) maxidog, I think the camera is already broken
by Gakada / April 17, 2006 6:40 PM PDT
In reply to: amplifie signal
Collapse -
Sending video 5miles over WiFi from a battery powered camera
by DONHOCKEY / April 20, 2006 2:04 AM PDT

Hi Walt,

My company has the wireless technology (hard and soft) in place and working on a number of client sites that will allow you to connect multiple computers or cameras or other network devices and transmit wirelessly great distances.

Our technologies allows you to transmit wirelessly up to 15 miles line of site at very reasonable rates. Greater distances, turns and bends can be achieved by affixing small inexpensive repeaters along the way.

If you would like more information on our technologies, you can contact me via email or phone.

Regards,

Paul Thompson (paul@thompsonit.net)
President, Thompson Technologies
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Phone: 780 628 2817

Collapse -
video over 5 miles
by thc4me / April 20, 2006 4:22 AM PDT

There are a number of wireless cameras available including those with zoom and pan / tilt. The wireless they typically use is 802.11a/b/g that will not cover the range you need but you could use some of the wireless repeaters (bridges) that would boost the signal. I am not sure that you could cover 5 miles without external antennas that provide gain, but it worth a try. Most of these cameras and repeaters use 12v adapters and you could power them with solar panels that are sold for maintaining batteries on sail boats. JC Whitney sells some and I am sure that someone on Ebays sells them.

Good luck and keep us informed!

Collapse -
Your problem solved.
by artek-studio / April 23, 2006 5:21 PM PDT
Collapse -
One thing else
by artek-studio / April 23, 2006 5:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Your problem solved.

Walt,

First get the signal from the cameras to a central location , whatever devices or technology you choose, then get a video server to centralize your video needs and get digital recording, for remote surveillance.

Regards

Jorge R.

Collapse -
by jonasb / October 8, 2004 2:23 AM PDT

What bandwidth do you have at home? Are you able to setup a VPN connection to your workplace? If so, setup your work PC for remote access (Remote Desktop or Terminal Services). Then, using Remote Deskop from your home PC, connect to your work PC.

Collapse -
by Jkirk3279 / October 8, 2004 2:49 AM PDT

Oh, it's not impossible.

The issue is line-of-sight.

If you can get two satellite dish antennas, 18 inch or so, and one of them is on the top of a tall building... it could work.

I don't have the link anymore, but there was somebody that wrote an article on this. He wanted DSL and it was across the valley from his place.

The provider refused to run cable to him.

So, he made a deal with somebody on the other side of the valley.

A pair of sat dishes, pointed at each other.

Cat 5 cable, antenna lead adapters, wireless access points like Apple Airport Base Stations.

The do-it-yourself model is called a "Can-Tenna".

Basically, you get a used Sat dish, take off the mounted receiver and bolt on a large soup can with both ends cut out and soup removed, of course.

For the actual antenna it's just a sewing needle measured and cut to the right length.

You mount this to the soup can, attach the dish to your wall and run the coax cable inside your house.

The interesting thing is that with parabolic dishes you don't need amplifiers. The normal signal strength is enough for quite a ways if focused parabolically.

And as for hacking, the signal spreads out slowly. At a distance of 10 miles the cone of the signal will be, mhhm, a hundred yards wide?

Probably not that much.

But at the source, it's only 18 inches wide.

So a hacker would have to be either right on top of your antenna or hanging in the air at the 5 mile point to catch the signal.

Of course the question of permission to use the bandwidth does come up...

Collapse -
by Roger NC / October 8, 2004 7:06 AM PDT
So a hacker would have to be either right on top of your antenna or hanging in the air at the 5 mile point to catch the signal.

OR for a one sided link, to just use the point for example, just a few feet to a few hundred feet past the house end?
Collapse -
by Wi-Fi-Guy / October 8, 2004 8:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
Someone noted it's not secure...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 8, 2004 3:12 AM PDT

"CNET Forums Moderator Alert -
At the risk of sounding paranoid, I have to wonder if this post & related replies should be allowed, The originator of the thread is in the middle east & is asking for help to establish a "non-standard" & potentially dangerous unsecured connection. I realize that it is next to impossible to monitor every situation, but thought you should be aware of this. "

They are right. If you did do this, anyone in the line of sight would get free access. If you don't believe it, research these words on google.com

AIRSNORT

NETSTUMBLER

There are more.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Someone noted it's not secure...
by viperiontech / October 8, 2004 7:05 AM PDT

Bob:

Airsnort and Netstumbler are merely survey tools that assist in verifying the presence of other Wi-Fi network devices. True, they have been used to assist War Drivers (network hackers) in comandeering unsuspecting network owners. However, your claim of 'unsecure' is the stuff of urban ledgends. Many levels of security exist that are able to thwart would-be network hijackers. Several industry standards including MAC address tables, IP only access, WEP, WAP, Temporal Key and AAA are all successful at providing a comfortable level of security. Of course, used in concert, these technologies offer a solid level of protection.

Chris

Collapse -
Chris.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 8, 2004 7:59 AM PDT

I drove around town and found over a dozen ready to use networks. This is not "legend" and I only mentioned the safest of tools. There are far worse out there.

I will not start a war over this, but the Wifi industry has created a monster. My experience is that only the companies that depend on Wifi seeming secure will rise up and scream very loudly how secure this stuff is.

Let's not continue on with this since it would turn out that we would have to supply what other tools are used to break the lightly secured networks.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Chris.
by Wi-Fi-Guy / October 8, 2004 3:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Chris.

But if you have instead of AP client bridges (in point to point mode with MAC address filtering) on both ends and WEP I think it would be enough protecteted from school kids with NetStumbler?

Collapse -
Re: Chris.
by viperiontech / October 8, 2004 3:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Chris.

Bob:

Agreed. We could debate the pros and cons of the technology forever. Wi-Fi, as all technologies, has its ups and downs.

Best regards,

Chris

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.