How To

Question

Connect 10 monitors with keyboards and mice to one server

by coolindienc / August 13, 2011 1:43 PM PDT

I have a challange to connect 10 locations that are in several different rooms and I want one server to serve all 10 location as different users and some cases as one user in more than one room. Since these rooms are very small, I am trying to avoid big CPU boxes. Now, I have heard of KVM switches, but I am not sure if they will work at longer distance for a monitor as far as 70 feet away from server. I also need to know if two persons working on an application at same time accessing it from server, can they save their work on server while other is working from different monitor?
Is there a way to connect all these locations to one server or do I need to place thin client or do I need to have a separate terminal for each location?
Thanks in advance to all who respond.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connect 10 monitors with keyboards and mice to one server
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connect 10 monitors with keyboards and mice to one server
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Do you remember Microsoft's Terminal Server?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2011 1:55 PM PDT

Or are you open to using Linux and terminals?

You didn't reveal if said system had to be Windows or even a GUI!
Bob

Collapse -
Connect 10 monitors with keyboards and mice to one server
by coolindienc / August 15, 2011 12:58 PM PDT

Thanks for the reply Bob,
I do remember that, I believe that requires terminal on client side (correct me if I am wrong). My friend wants to lose that if possible since there is an issue of small room space (it's a clinic). I am also thinking about way to put keyboard and mouse on a board that will close in wall. I also thought about touchscreen monitors, but my question still stands. How to connect all these locations to server without terminal box or thin terminal (if there is a way I do not know).

BTW, OS will be Windows 7.

Thanks Andy

Collapse -
Then no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2011 3:00 PM PDT

Windows 7 kills this idea dead. There is no such thing. Maybe some 99 buck Android tablets and a browser interface to your apps?

In two words? Vertical Integration.
Bob

Collapse -
How about server 2008??
by coolindienc / August 16, 2011 11:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Then no.

How about installing server 2008 on server and use couple PCs with Vista Business? Use couple of 4port KVM switches to connect nearby rooms. I also saw KVM switch online that has 16 ports and can be mounted on rack and monitors, keyboards and mice can be connected through CAT5 or CAT6 cable. Then again I am still unsure about distance. If I am able to connect all monitors with one server, then I may not need server '08 (correct me if I am wrong). Thanks Bob

Collapse -
I'm still trying to figure out how a KVM
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 16, 2011 12:11 PM PDT

switch, even one with 16 ports, can connect those 10 users, each with a monitor, keyboard and mouse, to one computer and allow those users to interact with the one computer completely separate from each other.

Collapse -
Sure you can connect 10 displayt to one PC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2011 12:28 PM PDT

But this means one of the 10 displays will work at any one time.

Let me share I've been at this since mainframe days. Until you reveal what you need you may continue to try things that will not achieve the goal.

I could be wrong but isn't the goal for all 10 displays and keyboards to work at if there were 10 PCs?
Bob

Collapse -
did you mean,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 16, 2011 11:10 PM PDT

only one of the 10 displays will work at any one time?

That's what I said in my post so I still don't see how a KVM switch would meet the OP's original requirement.

P

Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 17, 2011 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: did you mean,

I see you see it too.

My bet is the OP is after some system that you don't use a PC or thin client at each place. Folk have been at this for decades and while we have solutions called terminals the OP wanted Windows working at the other end. That takes a client or cheaper yet, a PC.
Bob

Collapse -
It fails your requirements.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2011 12:26 PM PDT

When your requirements change then we can tackle his again.

But lets run with your 16 port KVM to one machine. That means you switch to the room that needs service and that one room gets a PC interface.

Seems very expensive.
Bob

Collapse -
Here is my ultimate goal
by coolindienc / August 17, 2011 11:24 AM PDT

I am trying to connect 10 locations in a clinic. There are three monitors in front. One where a nurse greets you. Second location is for another nurse where she attends patients when they are about to leave (for some paper work). Third location is where an employee does billing and other paperwork.There are six patient rooms where a nurse and doctor will access server to pull patient's records and add more information to his/her records. One more location for doctor's office.
All these locations are using one common software (medisoft). There will be more than one location accessing same application to add information and store it at one designated location (server) where others can access it possibly instantly.
Since patients' rooms are very small, there is an issue of space thus, putting a PC box on floor is an obstacle specially when there is a handicap patient with wheel chair.
My goal is to connect all these locations to one location where all information is saved and can be accessed by multiple locations at same time.

Hope I have made it more clear this time.

Andy

Collapse -
Then it's simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 17, 2011 12:05 PM PDT

I can only guess you are new to these systems. Since you want Windows on each screen you find that even with Windows Terminal Server you still need a client.

But today we can go with something more modern. If you put your apps on the web then what is at each station no longer matters as long as it has a web browser. You can recycle any old machine to using some sub 100 buck Android tablet.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.