Spyware, Viruses, & Security

General discussion

Conflict: Ad-Aware SE Plus Vs. Microsoft's One Care Ststem

by daty123 / May 30, 2006 9:55 AM PDT

I have Windows XP, Media Center Edition and the Ad-Aware SE Plus Edition. I have disovered two conflicts.

1. Problems with Microsoft's Beta One Carae System. On three separate occassions I have found that Ad-Aware SE Plus Scans detect parts of Microsoft's One Care System to be adware. If you have the Microsoft Beta One Care System on your PC, please check the Ad-Aware scan results. In my case, the scan rendered the One Caare System useless and/or damaged.

When I discovered this, I first restored the deleted files but still had some problems. I then used System Restore and that fixed the problem. The other option would be to completely remove the damaged One Care System and re-download the entire program. Otherwise, I have found Ad-Aware to be an excellent product in detecting spyare and adware.

2. I complete daily Internet surveys for many companies. Shortly after installing the full version of Ad-Aware SE Plus, I started to have problems completing or even starting some of the surveys. Finally, I turned off the Ad-Watch feature of Ad-Aware SE Plus and my problems ended. Just thought I'd let you know. Ed.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Conflict: Ad-Aware SE Plus Vs. Microsoft's One Care Ststem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Conflict: Ad-Aware SE Plus Vs. Microsoft's One Care Ststem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Daty, It's Understandable..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 30, 2006 10:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
Grif - your link doesn't work anymore
by Marianna Schmudlach / May 30, 2006 10:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
He He...It Worked For A While..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 30, 2006 2:26 PM PDT

It had the same info your new one does.

Thanks for the backup.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif, You're Welcome :)
by Marianna Schmudlach / May 30, 2006 3:45 PM PDT

I clicked on the link you provided and it was already "history" LOL....... No problem Wink

Collapse -
(NT) Ad Aware
by Romasteve / June 4, 2006 11:37 PM PDT

I am running Windows Live One Care from Microsoft with both Ad Aware and Webroot Spy Sweeper. Spy Sweeper is active all the time, and Ad Aware only when I run it.

So far no problems...

Collapse -
Ad Aware and Microsoft One Time
by daty123 / June 5, 2006 10:09 AM PDT
In reply to: (NT) Ad Aware

I do not have Spy Sweeper so I can not comment on that. However, the puzzle between Ad Aware and Microsoft One Time continues. It seems that Ad Aware micks out files called "Fast Search". Whether these are part of Microsoft's One Time, I do not know. There may not be a problem after all.

Collapse -
Couple of things.
by hawk318 / June 4, 2006 10:58 PM PDT

Not using Vista, I'd have to say it doesn't surprize me in the least as it seems more and more software companies are trying to completely control your computer no days.
AdAware does have a spot where you can (after scans)choose detected files to ignore.... That would be one option.
I think when the time comes for me to use Vista, I'll look else where as MS only seems to give you so-so protection anytime and all the major AV/ firewall makers are coming out with their own brand of "Total protection", I'd wait before making any final commitment.
When it's all over, the odds are, I'll do what I've been doing all along.... Run one brand of firewall/AV, run AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy along with one other paid version like Webroot....Why?
I like having control over my computer and don't really trust anyone doing things to my system and assuming everything is working properly.
What happens if something breaks?
Malfunctions and isn't detected to give you a warning?
Gets corrupted or hacked?
Ok it's more time consuming and a tad bit more work, but I perfer to do it myself Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.