Computer Help

General discussion

"confirm file delete" appear continuously

by ineedhelp888 / August 21, 2005 12:17 AM PDT

Problem 1

when I click on an icon using the left button of the mouse, "confirm file delete" appears.
Then when I click "no", the "confirm file delete" will prompt up again, and again, and again until I get fed up.

When I open MSN messenger, it automatically ask if I want to terminate the first person on the contact contact list. When I press no, it comes up again and again and again until I get fed up.

I have bought and scanned my computer with Norton Internet Security (anti virus) 2005 and deleted 2 virus.

What should I do? I use HP Compaq nx9010 notebook.

Problem 2

When I turn on the computer, the computer keeps on beeping around 16 times, then breaks a little then beeps again. If I press "esp" and "enter, it will stop and start loading. However if I don't press anything, the computer stops and nothing happens.

What is happening?

Please advise, thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "confirm file delete" appear continuously
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "confirm file delete" appear continuously
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well...
by Yew / August 21, 2005 2:04 AM PDT

You've told us what you do about viruses, and that you were infected with at least two of them... So, now what do you do about spyware/malware? Stands to reason if you were doing enough dodgy things to get hit with a couple of viruses, that you're probably loaded down with spyware.

So, what, if anything, do you do to combat this particular threat?

Collapse -
Your laptop...
by jackintucson / August 21, 2005 4:15 AM PDT

is trying to tell you it's sick. Bring it to a doctor or it will soon die. Without more info nothing else can be said. With info like, make, model, BIOS, EXACT number of beeps etc...etc. don't expect much more help.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
Caused by faulty 'delete' button?
by The_Squire / March 29, 2010 10:59 AM PDT

This is a very late reply to your problem! I have just recently had the same symptoms on an HPze4400 laptop running XP SP2. I found, as well as "confirm file delete" coming up whenever I left-clicked a folder or file, that "control-alt-delete" wouldn't bring up Task Manager. I could bring it up by "control-shift-escape", and it just dawned on me today that the 2 problems were inter-related. Maybe one of the 3 keys (control or alt or delete) was not working properly. Sure enough, the delete key wouldn't delete. It then came to me that maybe it was stuck down (even though it appeared normal). I decided to test this theory on another laptop ? I held down the delete button and then left-clicked a folder. Sure enough, ?confirm file delete? came up, and here?s the interesting bit ? even though I had let go of the delete key, it still took several clicks on ?no? before the box would go away! If I kept the delete key depressed, the warning box would never go away. Similarly, if I kept the delete key depressed, and then pressed ?control-alt?, nothing would happen.
I guess this proves the sticky key is my problem and maybe yours too. All I have to do now is pull the HP apart and try and fix the delete key!
You probably don?t still have your faulty computer, but I thought you might be interested anyway

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.