Linux forum

Question

Configuring Ubunter Server 12.04.2

by Will_CIT_Student / June 7, 2013 2:18 AM PDT

I am a Computer Information Technology (C.I.T.) student and am part of a team of students TRYING to configure a new HP ProLiant server as a domain controller. I need some step-by-step assistance on how to configure DNS and set up the server to act as a domain controller that can communicate with a Windows Server 2008-based server. The GUI component is installed.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Configuring Ubunter Server 12.04.2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Configuring Ubunter Server 12.04.2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
And do you want it to fit in 3 paragraphs?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 7, 2013 2:23 AM PDT

This setup is usually covered in the classes on Server 2008. Or in books about Server 2008. I've heard this question before and if it was possible to boil it down to one page, wouldn't you find that on a web site ready for you to implement?

I think if you do this and take the time to publish your work then others will appreciate your effort.
Bob

Collapse -
Ubuntu Server
by Will_CIT_Student / June 7, 2013 2:39 AM PDT

We are working on an Ubuntu server and trying to get it to "talk to" the Windows 2008 server, which is the same model of server (HP ProLiant). It's the Ubuntu settings I need help with (where to find the settings using the GUI, etc.) How to configure the server's DNS settings (ifconfig?) and how to configure the Ubuntu server as a domain controller. We have no books on Linux. Our instructor wanted this to be a 100% learn by doing experience and we're hitting roadblocks at every single turn. As I said, we did manage to get the GUI installed and running.

Collapse -
Then it will be very hard.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 7, 2013 2:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Ubuntu Server

I expect this to fail if the team can't access the internet or books. As to the DNS, there is nothing to configure if the Windows 2008 server is on our LAN. You didn't tell but when I set that up, the 2008 server is doing the DHCP and name serving so it would be quite odd to add another DNS and DHCP server plus be wrong at the same time.

As presented, you would not enable the DNS or DHCP.
Bob

Collapse -
We can access the internet.
by Will_CIT_Student / June 7, 2013 3:03 AM PDT

This is what our instructor wants us to do. She wants us to get on the Internet and research the process for ourselves. We every one have high-speed Internet access on our classroom workstations. She has told us the whole idea of the exercise is to do the research and figure it out on our own. I think she wants us to use this as "real world" experience because we won't always have teacher there to tell us what we need to do and how to do it. The only problem is that we have a very intense curriculum and if we spend too much time on this we get behind in our regular required book work. I'm already a trimester behind schedule and will not be able to complete the course because I only get Pell grant money for the prescribed length of the course.

Collapse -
Then do that!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 7, 2013 3:08 AM PDT

As you are supposed to to do this and not have me do it for you, then why not dive in and go do it?

I offered one item that sounded wrong given the specs so far.
Bob

Collapse -
The Parameters of This Exercise
by Will_CIT_Student / June 7, 2013 3:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Then do that!

We are supposed to configure the Ubuntu server to be able to communicate with the Windows server.
The instructor then wants us to connect 3 or 4 workstations to the Ubuntu server.

itsdigger gave me a link to follow: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2146198.

I am worried the research required would take enough time that I'd get even further behind in my course. I am going to read the forum itsdigger posted. I will have to do a lot of this research on my off time outside of school hours like I am now.

Linux/Ubuntu is completely new and foreign to me. I am very much a rookie here.

R. Proffitt, you do have a very valid point. I need to get used to digging and using "trial and error".
It takes patience and I will admit that's something I need to develop much more of.

Collapse -
Let's get down to it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 7, 2013 3:38 AM PDT

Just bringing up Ubuntu on the network with Ubuntu on the LAN and getting it's IP and such via DHCP from the Windows 2008 Server is in fact "communicating."

Since I can ping the Server 2008, we are done.

-> As I noted, it's all in the specs. You didn't ask for more than "communication" so that step was done without much effort at all!
Bob

Collapse -
Load Ubuntu to a drive
by James Denison / June 8, 2013 11:10 AM PDT

My suggestion is a $12 thumbdrive for 16 GB. I find the Kingston DTSE9 variety which also fit a keychain to be sufficient and for a low price, and no problems installing ubuntu nor it's various flavors such as Kubuntu, Mint, etc. Some thumbdrives don't load as easy, although running "dd" command hasn't failed to clone a copy from a loaded thumbdrive to a problematic drive which won't install any other way. If you fail to "Install" Ubuntu to the thumbdrive, then give Universal USB Installer program a try, available from pendrivelinux.com site. The only way you can be sure what you report to teacher is correct, is to actually use Ubuntu and test it out. If looking for help in DOS you'd type "help" then the command. Linux is similar, but several helps available. You can type help followed by the command, some require the command followed by a space and --help, you can type "man -k command-name", and theres also "info command-name".

So, for price of a thumbdrive and some time, you can gain a lot of both knowledge and experience, and I doubt you will regret the time spent doing so either.

Collapse -
would this article help?
by itsdigger / June 7, 2013 2:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Ubuntu Server
Collapse -
Seems close but as there is already a 2008 Server.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 7, 2013 2:58 AM PDT

We can't stomp over it's current DNS and DHCP system.

In short, on a LAN you must put one and only one DHCP server. It is possible to have a few DNS (servers) but folk rarely do that for many reasons such as cache consistency and maintenance issues.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.