How To forum

Question

Configuring TOR Browser Bundle to Work Properly?

by sugarbear246 / June 15, 2011 5:00 AM PDT

Is there anyone out there in the C net community that Uses "Tor Browser Bundle" to Surf Anonymously, and has it "WORKING PROPERLY"?
If there is someone out there proficient in it's "CONFIGURATION", PLEASE GIVE ME THE BENEFIT OF YOUR EXPERTISE!

Thanks;
sugarbear246

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Configuring TOR Browser Bundle to Work Properly?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Configuring TOR Browser Bundle to Work Properly?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The problem I see with this is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2011 5:06 AM PDT

Given how this works, doesn't this give up the details of our browsing to that anonymiser and actually make it easier for those who want to know what everyone is doing?

It's like using google dns or such.

Why would you make it easy for mass surveillance?
Bob

Collapse -
by sugarbear246 / June 15, 2011 9:58 AM PDT

I appreciate your succinct comment, but I have already taken the time to investigate your particular concern. This is the actual Browser used by the "Electronic Frontier Foundation", and recommended by the "Freedom House" which has been safeguarding Civil Liberties for over 70 Years!
The TOR Browser is different from "AutoHide", "EasyHideIp" and others similar to them.
The "TOR Browser" actually routes through "Volunteers" world wide...(Similar to the Network set-up by "WikiLeaks"), and routes each surf through at least 3 routes!
I SIMPLY WANT TO KNOW THE BEST "CONFIGURATION" TO GET IT WORKING PROPERLY!
Thanks Very Much!
sugarbear246

Collapse -
Tell more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2011 2:14 PM PDT

The elusive "best" will be a forever task. Can you share what's not working?

It could be that sites need details that the TOR hides.
Bob

Collapse -
by sugarbear246 / June 16, 2011 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Tell more.

Thanks for taking the time to address my issue Bob!
My problem is this: "When I surf to a Website...in this case "YouTube"...When I attempt to View a Video I get a Screen Message to Download the "Adobe Flash Player PlugIn". I do so and run the program and Install the Latest version of Adobe Flash Player...and (STILL I CANNOT VIEW A VIDEO CLIP)? GOT ANY IDEAS ON SOLVING THIS ISSUE?
I'd Appreciate any expertise you have!
Thanks;
Sugarbear246

Collapse -
Now Youtube is a special case.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2011 4:42 AM PDT

I find that Youtube fails when we hide our locations with proxy or other things. Be sure that you are not hiding your location so Youtube can work.

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090914040122AA0zcN0 repeats some of this in a longer answer.

Remember that Youtube has to obey laws by what country the user is in. So if you hide this then Youtube often fails.
Bob

Collapse -
by sugarbear246 / June 16, 2011 7:31 AM PDT

You're Right Bob! You have put me on the Right Track, and I will search Tor Users Lists and the Net to find out how to Configure Tor to Quote/UnQuote "UnHide" YouTube?
Thanks;
Sugarbear246

Collapse -
Answer
TOR blocks plugins
by Luc_Mainguy / June 18, 2011 6:09 AM PDT

The reason you need to "download the Adobe Flash plugin" is because the TOR plugin for Firefox automatically disables any plugins and add-ons for security reasons. You can disable this feature of TOR under Firefox menu->Add-ons, and then find the TOR plugin and edit it's settings there. Good luck!

Collapse -
by sugarbear246 / June 19, 2011 6:20 AM PDT
In reply to: TOR blocks plugins

Thanks Luc for your response to my Post!
I (Disabled the "Don't Allow PlugIns" in my TOR Browser, and it still would not allow me to Install the Adobe Flash Player?
Not Sure if I "Can" view Videos on Website, "Using the TOR Browser"?
Got Any Other Suggestions? I'm at a loss!
Thanks;
Sugarbear246

Collapse -
Answer
tor browser
by ssss16ssss / July 13, 2011 4:21 PM PDT

You can't watch any videos while using firefox, you should change your browser, I use google chrome but I had to change some of it's settings to work with tor browser. It's easy

Collapse -
using Tor and willing to watch videos
by CConsten / August 30, 2012 6:57 AM PDT
In reply to: tor browser

hi

i am using tor in order to access web sites in the country I am in (Iran) but as for the others, I obviously can't watch videos.
SInce you are mentioning Chrome and I am not a Geek, could you tell me what are the parameters to change in Chrome ? or provide me with an alternative ?
thanks in advance

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.