Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Configure Windows 2000 Broadband Internet Access ( tcp/ip )

by Figmore / November 22, 2008 10:04 AM PST

My IBM Thinkpad (about 10 years old) died yesterday and forced me to reinstall.
Now I cannot get an internet connection. There never was a problem before and so I took no notice.

IBM Thinkpad T21
Windows 2000
3Com 10/100 ethernet/modem multi device
Broadband connection from ISP

I know the internet connection works - another (newer) computer (running vista) just plugs in and connects (automatic IP address thingy).
I can see the connections details in vista: IP, gateway, DNS, DHCP, whatever.

My question: How do I configure my old w2000 computer? It's something to do with the tcp/ip setting(s) in Control Panel/Network/..., I think

Even a link to an article would be appreciated at this stage (2 days later). I've tried (almost) everything.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Configure Windows 2000 Broadband Internet Access ( tcp/ip )
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Configure Windows 2000 Broadband Internet Access ( tcp/ip )
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For me, never went to said panel.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2008 10:10 AM PST

It asked me how I connect to the internet and I answered "LAN". And I was done.

HOWEVER installing Windows 2000 would mean you had to find 5 to 10 or more drivers. Tell me about the drivers you installed AFTER windows 2000.

Collapse -
What i did.
by Figmore / November 22, 2008 10:39 AM PST

I used the supplied recovery CD (remember when they used to supply CDs?) to reinstall w2000.

I ran the "Internet Configuration Wizard".
-- Connect through LAN - YES.
-- Auto Config - YES.
-- Setup a mail account - NO.
-- Finish

Checked plugs, etc. OK.

Checked Computer/Manage/Event Viewer - reported an incorrect IP address.

Tried changing my internet connection via Control Panel/Network&Dialup to a static IP
-- no joy.

How do I configure this machine to get an IP address automatically, given that a different pc, using the same cable, configures automatically.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2008 10:53 AM PST
In reply to: What i did.
Collapse -
This link might hold the clue
by Figmore / November 22, 2008 11:23 AM PST
In reply to: Then

quote: If you configure a Windows 2000 Professional computer for automatic IP address assignment and no DHCP server is found on the network, Windows 2000 Professional automatically assigns itself a unique address in the ===169.254.x.x=== class B address space (subnet mask It scans the network periodically for a DHCP; if one is found, it takes an address lease from the server. Otherwise, it continues using its APIPA address.

That's interesting for 2 reasons:
1. The incorrect Ip addres I saw in event viewer, after using 'Internet Connection Wizard', was 169.254.x.x
2. Prior to my machine crashing (see note below) I noticed that my address lease was being renewed on a daily basis, and sometimes more frequently.

I do not think my machine crashed as a result of network issues.

NOTE: I am in new living quarters. ISP provided by landlord (who is now in a boat off the coast of Cura
Collapse -
by Figmore / November 22, 2008 11:36 AM PST

Is it a simple matter of Windows updates?

As I don't have internet access on this computer, I cannot get any Windows updates (or can I - can I get download them on one machine and apply them on another?) - remember, this machine is quite old - all the software and drivers are at least 10 years old.

Collapse -
The 169.x. x.x adress is your clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2008 10:51 PM PST

You do have it set proper for DHCP. The reason it fails is not known yet and the ISP connection is not detailed enough for me to comment on. I can't tell you are connecting to some cable modem or a router. Just because Vista works doesn't mean much yet.

Here's why. On many cable modems the first machine you plug in works. The next machine won't until the lease expires or you power cycle the modem. This is not a bug but how things work.

Collapse -
by Figmore / November 27, 2008 4:04 AM PST

Thanks Bob - the solution was as simple as that: switch off/on the modem before connecting to the other machine.

Thanks a million.

Collapse -
Psst. Pass it on.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2008 4:07 AM PST
In reply to: Solved.

This nugget is gold to those that run into this one.

Thank you very much for your reply and hope you share these nuggets as others need them.

Collapse -
golden nugget
by krissyjwax / October 8, 2009 6:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Psst. Pass it on.

Thanks for passing it on. Have exactly the same problem with my old thinkpad and am just about to switch off/on the broadband modem.
Keep your fingers xed.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.