Computer Help forum

General discussion

conduit engine uninstall

by ladycharlene2001 / November 3, 2010 1:03 AM PDT

This software is loaded on my machine by this name. Just by the words alone, it should do some kind of uninstall of software(?). Searches, do not show what this is or any explanation.

I need your help. What is it? Where does it come from? Is it malicious?

Google search does not help.

Please provide any useful information.

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: conduit engine uninstall
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: conduit engine uninstall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I found these in Google
by MDFlax / November 3, 2010 10:00 PM PDT

Quite a lot about this conduit engine in fact.

What is Conduit Engine?

Uninstalling Conduit Engine - (not resolved yet).

Discussion about Conduit Engine behaviour.

So, what does that tell me?

1] Conduit Engine appears to be some sort of browser extension/add-on.

2] It seems the Add-on cannot easily be removed from IE, (Internet Explorer).

3] If you have this Add-on installed in your Internet Explorer, you could, as a last resort, "Reset" IE back to default. You may lose Favorites, cookies, history, and any login details saved in IE, but it may also reset IE back to it's original state, eg before any add-ons were installed. To do that, open IE and go to Tools > Internet Options, then the Advanced tab, and click the Reset button.

4] If this add-on is installed in any other browser, I am unsure if it can simply be removed, or whether similar problems will be encountered.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Conduit Engine
by bundyland / November 14, 2010 3:17 PM PST

Hi,
There is no need to remove this addon.
I?ve been using Conduit toolbars for 3 years, and the conduit engine is simply a tool that helps to organize the apps from their marketplace
They are safe (certainly not malicious), and approved by TRUSTe & McAfee
You can uninstall the engine from the add \remove programs.

Hope it helps!

bundy

Collapse -
Doesn't help
by AndoDoug / November 25, 2010 8:27 PM PST
In reply to: Conduit Engine

bundy, Conduit has many preposterous features that make it easy to download without knowledge and very difficult to remove. It also produces lame, commercial search results. And no, going to add/remove programs does nothing. I have tried everything suggested online and am still stuck with a fat, dumb search toolbar that serves no purpose but to infuriate. But hey the thing "helps to organize the apps from their marketplace". Your marketplace is going to hell in a handbasket, Sir.

Collapse -
amend that
by AndoDoug / November 25, 2010 8:28 PM PST
In reply to: Doesn't help

I meant Shill, not Sir.

Collapse -
uninstalling conduit
by xeromyhero / December 6, 2010 5:30 AM PST
In reply to: amend that

I had downloaded a recent version of uTorrent and without my knowledge... Conduit Engine was installed as well as a uTorrent toolbar on all of my browsers. If you can track down what program your toolbar came from... you can use Revo Uninstaller to remove all entries from your computer's registry. My computer DID have an uninstall program for Conduit but it did NOT remove the toolbars. Reinstalling uTorrent and then using Revo to uninstall took care of my problem.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
cautionary tale
by Palomartian / December 6, 2010 9:02 AM PST
In reply to: uninstalling conduit

I, too, ripped uTorrent out by the roots with Revo. It left this slimy conduit thing behind though. The first symptom was IE7 sessions taking 4 seconds to go away after X'ing them closed. Then there were a pair of unexpected error shutdowns in IE7. Finally, the 3rd IE7 crash fingered conduit as the perp. I first disabled the add-on (there were two conduit add-ons, actually) in a box windows opened when I asked for more wtf. Then I went to Revo, found the little wart, and excised it. All good now. I'm running XP Pro SP3.

Collapse -
thanks for the tip but..
by AndoDoug / December 6, 2010 11:28 AM PST
In reply to: uninstalling conduit

Revo looks like a great program, i used it to remove likely suspect bit torrent, but the conduit asshead toolbar is still in firefox--is removing/reinstalling firefox warranted?

Collapse -
got it!
by AndoDoug / December 6, 2010 2:06 PM PST

I deleted a remaining add-on within firefox, then another related one popped up under a different name, so i deleted that one too and now the hated conduit toolbar is gone

Collapse -
I got this conduit tollbar from updating my bittorent
by Shadelassy / December 6, 2010 10:49 PM PST
In reply to: got it!

I updated bittorrent recently and that's how I got this conduit toolbar. I managed to get rid of it from my mozilla browser by deleting the app. The first time I uninstall the conduit itself app, it did not work. The second time, I uninstalled another app that popped out of nowhere (??? heck!) then I decided to uninstall the bittorent program. After uninstalling it, I found an app that says 'bittorent toolbar. ' I uninstalled that from my app list and when firefox restarted, it's never there - again.

When installing/updating Bittorrent program, they call it as their "Bittorrent Toolbar" when in fact it's actually COnduit toolbar. It's part of agreeing to the terms and services. So it installs automatically. Damn it.I wish I did not update bittorent, at all.

Collapse -
Trying to uninstall conduit...
by syg_87 / March 21, 2011 9:38 PM PDT

I didn't want to use this damn toolbar, and decided to remove it...
when I was trying to remove it, it opens a new web page, it asks what do you want more to add your toolbar... there is nothing for uninstalling...
When I succeeded removing, there were extra unwanted things...
it runs noteped.exe, it broke my graphic cards driver and java or something like that.
This toolbar or what this damn is completely a troble, mess...
This came when I tried to update utorrent...

Collapse -
Conduit Engine hooks into browsers without permission !
by jfreuler / April 24, 2011 2:21 PM PDT

I got this unwanted tool by downloading and installing a freeware program.
After some investigation I discovered that the Conduit Engine add-on helps web sites SILENTLY install 3rd party code into your system and hooks their tools into your browsers.
In other words, the Conduit engine hooks into browsers, tracks searches, and can download other add-ons WITHOUT PERMISSION. It reset my default home and search pages too.
I consider that to be malicious behavior.
Do you really like apps or add-ons from sites you visit being silently installed without letting you know ?

And what's worse, the Conduit Engine uninstall doesn't delete all the entries that they hook into the registry, their Program Files folders, or clean-up their browser add-on entries.

Collapse -
Ashampoo also bundles conduit engine without warning
by donthuis-talk / May 26, 2011 1:13 AM PDT

I completely agree: this programme acts like a kind of virus, including a browser hijack. And removing it from IE8 is almost impossible. In Chrome 11 and Firefox 4 one can uninstall it under the add-ons. For IE which is integrated in Windows, the add/remove software feature should do it, but in my case it failed. Leaving IE8 crashing all the time when opening at the new homepage at www.conduite.com. Nothing worked and I had to return to a earlier full backup date (registry or earlier system restore points also failed as a remedy !!) Reinstaling and uninstalling it with a special uninstaller programme and even reinstalling IE8 failed too.

Collapse -
bundyland completely unhelpful and shortsighted
by pbergonzi / July 22, 2011 8:52 AM PDT

YOU have no need to remove this addon. Others do, and also resent that the removal option is not more straightforward, thus hinting at unethicalness.

Collapse -
You are right
by maildroid1 / July 27, 2011 1:52 AM PDT

It is totally unethical for not telling you they are installing stuff on your computer. If they are legit, they will not have to hide the fact that they are installing it. They should give us the option.

Collapse -
to Bundy
by maildroid1 / July 27, 2011 1:54 AM PDT

Yes there is a need to uninstall this crap. It was installed without my knowledge and I have no use for it. If you want it you can keep it.

Collapse -
download"UNINSTALLER"
by henryeguilos55 / December 6, 2010 1:17 PM PST

try to use this app and 'force uninstall' the conduit engine..

Collapse -
Conduit poopbar
by mikehjf / December 17, 2010 6:18 AM PST
In reply to: download"UNINSTALLER"

I also recently downloaded Utorrent, and Conduit came along for the ride. Going to add/remove removed it from the add/remove list, but it was still installed. It changed my Google page, so that the word "Google" did not appear anymore. How I got rid of it was to go into the registry (regedit) and do a search for "conduit". Then I removed anything to do with it from the registry. Seemed to work for me. I recommend you back up the registry before trying this. To backup the registry open up the registry and click on file\export.

Collapse -
on firefox delete the addon
by KatoDog1 / December 18, 2010 9:04 AM PST

This toolbar just popped up on my browser too. I found out how to uninstall by checking the toolbars help,instructions to remove were provided. In Firefox go to tools, add-on, extensions, you can uninstall from there. It worked for me.

Collapse -
KatoDog1 - this worked perfectly thank you!!!
by cherryways / June 16, 2011 4:42 PM PDT

thanks again. worked perfect for me

Collapse -
conduit uninstall
by lancen1974 / January 29, 2011 8:45 AM PST

Revo Uninstaller works. Free right here at C-net I use it to uninstall everything because it finds registry keys and folders that the programs uninstall leaves behind.

Collapse -
annoying conduit uninstall
by darby61 / August 27, 2011 1:38 PM PDT
In reply to: conduit uninstall

if it was a wanted ellement why make it so difficult to remove?
i don't know how it appeared on my computer, but i'm blaming my son.
i've tried to remove it for months and thanks to the posts on here i installed "revo uninstaller" and i think its now gone. (i hope its now gone)
the people that create programs like this have some serious issues with reality.

Collapse -
Firefox and Conduit
by truevoiceman / February 17, 2011 6:58 AM PST

I opened my Firefox today and found Conduit as an addon that came out of nowhere. along with a couple of other apps I never installed. It seems to me that something that installs itself without your permission is a Virus, Worm, or in more simple terms a HiJack. I found this on the web:

http://www.searchengineoptimizationportland.com/blog/2010/11/search-engines-fraud/

Conduit is nothing more than Rogue Ware and it's creators should be prosecuted!

Collapse -
Firefox and Conduit
by BenitaCnet / March 26, 2011 12:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Firefox and Conduit

Conduit Engine suddenly appeared when I allowed a Firefox update.

With Firefox open, I clicked on Tools, then Add-ons. I scrolled down to Conduit Engine and clicked on Uninstall.

After the Uninstall, Conduit Engine is no longer in my View/Toolbars list.

Easy as pie.

Collapse -
Conduit engine malware
by 50dano50 / April 22, 2011 2:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Firefox and Conduit

Cnet just lost a lot of my respect. I have always trusted your site as a source for safe software. No longer. You folks HAD to know about this issue. I will no longer consider this a "go to" trusted site.

Collapse -
conduit engine uninstall
by USSROVER / April 17, 2011 5:21 PM PDT

I'm not responcable for damage done to computer- You are doing this at YOUR OWN RISK (step 3)
to remove conduit engine from computer:

step 1 use Add/remove programs (if it fails goto step 2)
Step 2 click START--PROGRAMS-- conduit engine look for uninstall (if not there or fails goto step 3)
Step 3 click START -- RUN
---------type CMD
---------type REGEDIT (note if you do not feel comfortable in the registry have a tech fix the problem)
---------A: search for conduit engine
---------B: when found in Right hand pane hit tab delete KEY and entrys ( see B-1)
---------B-1: example to delete only right hand key toolbar lists other toolbars ex norton toolbar
---------C: press [F3] repeat B,B-1 until "finished searching through the registry"
---------D: close Regedit then reboot

Collapse -
Remove conduit apps toolbar
by corncobz / April 25, 2011 12:46 PM PDT

Katodog1 12-18-10 is correct. In Firefox go to tools, click on apps and use uninstall. Conduit even has the audacity to ask why you want to remove their "popular" toolbar. I told them to F#### OFF

Collapse -
Conduit provides hidden piggybacks apps and browser control
by bdwc / June 9, 2011 10:10 AM PDT

Conduit bundles a hidden "toolbar" and other apps with other companies' software, pays them a kickback because they are willing to hide from the end user that Conduit products are being allowed to install secretly alongside what the user actually wanted.

Collapse -
Did you know
by TWB404 / June 9, 2011 11:06 AM PDT

I thought I recognized that toolbar name when i saw this post. The new release of ZoneAlarm version 10 is installing that toolbar even if you unchecked the box and tell it not to. ZoneAlarm must be in worst shape then I thought.

Collapse -
So true: measure company health - how low will they go?
by rslinford / July 3, 2011 2:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Did you know

Companies might as well hold an official press conference: "Yes, we are going under. But first we will hose your browser. Grandma will have 9 useless tool bars and 0.75 inches of usable web."

Collapse -
RE: Conduit (a.k.a. 'Productivity toolbar')
by XxShepherdxX / September 13, 2011 11:57 AM PDT

Hey, I'm not a big fan of Mozilla, but in google chrome it's as easy as clicking options -- tools -- extensions (disable/Remove) Happy Chrome makes managing apps, toolbars, and add-ons like specific plugins easy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.