Download.com Site Feedback forum

Question

Conduit

by pgc3 / May 3, 2013 5:40 AM PDT

What is conduit? Is this Malware? Is there a relationship between Conduit and Symantec? What is the best removal remedy?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Conduit
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Conduit
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Yep, Malware.. Removal Has Been Discussed...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 3, 2013 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Conduit
Collapse -
Conduit
by pgc3 / May 3, 2013 11:43 PM PDT

After much gnashing of teeth running through the online "fixes" I finally got into the browser, IE, went to manage add ons found 3 related items, after several attempts to disable the items and a few reboots I finally got the Conduit related items disabled though they still show in the list. The same basic procedure was followed with Mozilla Firefox with the same result. This was done on a friend's Win 7 laptop. This was all done AFTER having done normal removal procedures including getting into programs and features, program files, registry etc. not to mention doing virus, malware,spyware scans non of which showed anything related to Conduit. These scans were done in both safe mode w/networking and normal windows run. The thing is that this nefarious redirect has not been deleted, as I said it is still shown as a browser add on I just got lucky and managed to disable it. One of the blurbs alluded to it being a Symantec related issue so the Norton removal tool was also run since there had been a trial version of Norton in the system, this removal procedure had no apparent effect The removal procedures that I found on the net, and I tried several, had zero effect. If anyone can figure out a foolproof way to total rid a system of this pain in the buttocks, please post the cure. As it stands I have less hair and my frustration level went into the red zone dealing with this ((*&*&*( thing.

Collapse -
No foolproof way that I know of..but..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / May 4, 2013 8:34 AM PDT

pgc..

I don't know of any foolproof way to get rid of it. You stated you used various tools to scan with, but never mentioned what they were.

I have to presume you tried the Revo Uninstaller as it's been suggested in many threads and forums. I've found it very useful.

Did you try running AdwCleaner and clicking on Search in order to (eventually) view the log it generates? IF you haven't and IF Conduit is still there it will indicate where.

And what about the The Junkware Removal Tool by thisisu? It's supposed to target Conduit amongst others.

Did you try what's suggested at the Firefox forum?:

• Open your Firefox browser and type "about:config" in address bar
• Now you can see a list of items "Preference Name" and its values.
Now type "search" in the filter box on top of that window...
• Check all strings contents as "CONDUIT" - and rightclick-reset..

The above may be worth your while, if you haven't tried them already.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Conduit
by pgc3 / May 5, 2013 1:12 AM PDT

Yes Carol, I looked at the forums. As I stated I DID get it removed from Firefox but was only able to disable it in IE. One thing I didn't try was Revo, next time I am at my friend's place I'll give that a shot. Another concern I had with her system and possibly with this issue, among others, is her A/V, she is running MSE in conjunction with Win defender, prior to this set up she had the trial version of Norton, her grandson set up MSE etc...shortly after the MSE install is when Conduit started to plague her at that point I was asked to take a look at the system, which of course I did and here we are. Thanks for your suggestions and as I said I'll try Revo when I have time to look at her system again.

Collapse -
conduit search engine
by drjudithvolpe / July 13, 2013 12:40 PM PDT

I had this very problem, acquired it 7/10/13, with my Mozilla Firefox browser. I search the help section of Mozilla, posted a question about mixi.dj and conduit and looked over the previously posted discussions. There was a link in one of the answers that let me reset the browser back to its original settings. The conduit is gone and have not seen it for a few days. I was able to remove it more easily from Google Chrome. It didn't seem to infect Internet Explorer at all. Holding my breath its gone for good. I don't have the skill to go into the registry. MY OS is Win 7 pro 64 bit.

Collapse -
Answer
Idon't know how had got it but found out how to remove it.
by DChrisL / July 15, 2013 1:35 AM PDT

It was removed by SuperAntispyware Free Edition. When it was quarantined, I had to reboot to remove it all.
Darrell

Collapse -
Answer
Definitely malware
by Disgruntled_cnet_customer / March 15, 2014 1:15 AM PDT

I'm still in the middle of the removal process, following the steps outlined on this very comprehensive site: http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-conduit-search-virus/

What burns me, though, is that I picked it up via a "free" download from CNET. "It's CNET," I said to myself, "it's got to be safe." An hour and a half later I'm still working my way through restoring my computer to full functionality and I'm pretty certain I'll never use CNET Download again.

Collapse -
Foxit Reader
by Aotearoa / March 16, 2014 11:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Definitely malware

Haven't noticed it mentioned in this forum but it has come to my notice elsewhere recently that the latest version of Foxit Reader, version 6.1.4 has Conduit package bundled with it. Choose Custom or Advanced install option, and pay careful attention to selections.

Collapse -
Got my Conduit 4 days ago on cnet
by windboater / April 12, 2014 12:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Foxit Reader

I always trusted cnet, didn't think I needed to watch for got-chas on there site.

Collapse -
Shame on cnet
by windboater / April 12, 2014 12:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Definitely malware

I just picked Conduit up with a download from cnet 4 days ago. I thought I had it fixed several times during that period and later Noton Took a crack at it but Its still there. I will eventually fix the issue but I will never again trust Cnet in any fashion what so ever. This never would have happened before they were sold now they need to make money anyway they can including selling their Sole and their customers down the river. If this is deleted, I have loads of other places to post it.

Collapse -
Answer
Conduit is a malware, shame on CNET for installing it
by gsolonic / April 13, 2014 11:20 AM PDT

Conduit uses a fake name of Safe Protect, it has nothing to do with Safe nor protect, it is a malware that changes your home page, your search engine, and it does not respect the rules for uninstall.

DO NOT INSTALL IT, it will only provide paid advertisement and not good searches, it makes money by you clicking on dubious companies who pay to get you to visit them, rather than popular ethical companies.

STAY AWAY FROM CONDUIT AND SAFE PROTECT. Uninstall is found in this thread.

Collapse -
I usually don't add this nugget. On XP it's dangerous.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2014 11:24 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.