TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Concerns over Plasma panel heating room

by Dan Filice / August 20, 2008 6:05 AM PDT

It looks like I will finally be able to purchase a replacement TV for the bedroom and I will probably purchase the 42" 1080p Panasonic Plasma from Costco for $1099. For those Plasma owners out there, does anyone have any feedback on the very warm display heating up a small room? The 42" Plasma uses 573 watts, which if it were a light bulb wouldn't be a concern (except for blindness from such wattage), but a 42" display is much larger than a light bulb and my bedroom isn't all that large. I can't imagine having a 58" Plasma as those consume 743 watts.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Concerns over Plasma panel heating room
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Concerns over Plasma panel heating room
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by jonnybones / August 20, 2008 1:39 PM PDT

I have a 50" Panasonic Plasma. Its great, I don't have to turn the heater on as much during the winter. As for problems, all the pannys have fans built in so as long as you give them ample breathing room they are fine.

If you want to test it, leave an iron on in the room for an hour at a med-low setting. That puts out probably the same amount of heat as a plasma would.

Collapse -
by Dan Filice / August 20, 2008 4:02 PM PDT
In reply to: /

OK, I might try the iron, but can I watch TV on it while I'm testing it?

Collapse -
Well, you could catch up on some ironing.
by NM_Bill / August 21, 2008 12:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Yes, plasmas use more power than other techs. I still wouldn't regard them as supplemental room heaters. As to the guilt factor of using those extra watts, ordinary peoples lives have sufficient other outlets of energy conservation to compensate.

For instance, I usually fill my smaller recycling bin to overflowing, but I can easily see lots of neighbors don't do much any recycling (it is currently voluntary here.) Yes, I am retired & they are not, but they have a big gap they could close by participation if they would only do it. On an ordinary week, I feel I recycle over half my trash volume. If others would pitch in, a lot of landfill volume could be avoided.

This from one who is writing this on a computer with LCD screen & I our secondary set is an LCD. From personal observation, it is obvious to me that overall satisfaction is highest, for a primary set, with a plasma.

Collapse -
by jonnybones / August 21, 2008 4:54 PM PDT

Of course your computer screen in LCD. Unless you went loco and got a 37" screen which would be tight, but overkill. Comps use LCD's because of Burn-In. Maybe now that we have pixel shift and anti-image retention we will start to see plasma monitors??? I sure wouldn't mind it

As a side note: One who does not own a plasma should not speak to their heating capabilities, they are quite the little space heater if confined to a small room or apartment; of this I am sure.

Collapse -
Not significant
by 3rdalbum / August 23, 2008 4:33 PM PDT

Let's do some maths.

A tiny 1,000 watt heater can heat around 10 square metres. The plasma uses about 580 odd watts. That means that, if that amount of power were going into heat production, it would heat a very small room of two metres by three metres.

But that power is being used to run the digital tuner, image processing chips, embedded computer, amplifier, and finally the panel which is intended to spit out visible light. If you think a 500 watt heater is barely a heater at all, just imagine how little power is really going to be wasted as heat in your plasma.

As an aside, we're not likely to see plasma computer monitors any time soon. The smallest plasma TVs are 32 inches, typically with 480 lines of resolution. Monitors are typically smaller than TVs; let's say 24 inches; so even if you managed to reduce the pixel size, you're still looking at a resolution of maybe 600 lines.

Nobody wants a 24 inch computer monitor that can only display 800x600 Happy

Collapse -
by jonnybones / August 24, 2008 1:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Not significant

CURRENTLY thats the smallest size, but as you probably know, the TV technology is getting better every year. I dont think a plasma computer screen is valid now, but in 2-4 years or so, I could totally see it as a possibility (provided TV's evolve at the same rate they are now). If you think about it, HDMI was popularized 2 years ago, 120hz, this year. Who knows what breakthrough will come in the next few years?

If you think about the possibilities, plasmas have caught up to LCD's in contract ratio for a computer monitor (not so much for a tv), and they have ridiculous refresh rates compared to LCD's. All they lack is the technology to make them small; like all electronics that will come in time.

Collapse -
by jonnybones / August 24, 2008 1:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Not significant

Responding to first part of your post; "just imagine how little power is really going to be wasted as heat in your plasma"

Obviously you don't own one. I point you to my side note to NM_Bill

Collapse -
37" is LOCO?
by HHO Tek / February 12, 2010 7:05 AM PST

Well if going 37" is LOCO i wonder what i would be, im using a 42" Plasma as my primary monitor, heres a pic the burn in is not bad at all, i use my computer 8-10 hours a day for my business and you would think that the start button would eventually burn in but so far it has not and i have had this setup for about 3 months now.

As far as the heat goes my office does stay very warm, its winter now with snow on the ground so its actually nice but once summer hits it may be a a little much but i doubt it. Its not a significant source of heat, noticeable Yes but not significant.

Collapse -
I hope not all that 573 watts are use for heating the room,
by ahtoi / August 21, 2008 3:32 AM PDT

Some of that must have been used as light energy or we might have a blank screen. So hopefully more are use for light then heat.

Collapse -
Light becomes heat, eventually...
by wlo555 / August 22, 2008 8:07 PM PDT

"So hopefully more are used for light than heat".
Actually all light energy from the plasma (or any light bulb) turns to heat. i.e. it warms the dust in the air and walls of the room. So a 500W plasma will heat the room exactly the same as a 500W heater.
So, I guess if you live in Alaska - get a plasma. But if you live in an apartment in Singapore without air conditioning - maybe an LCD might be a better choice. Generally I prefer the picture on a plasma, but I must admit the latest 100hz LCD screens are so good they must be the way of the future - despite what Panasonic (who are concentrating on plasmas) say in their advertising.

Collapse -
(NT) Double uses of energy...that's very nice.
by ahtoi / August 23, 2008 2:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
Hot plasma / screen size
by rmf / August 22, 2008 10:51 PM PDT

Isn't 42" too big for a small room?

Collapse -
Two comments for this thread so far
by jostenmeat / August 23, 2008 4:25 AM PDT

Im surprised Nick (ns) has not seen this, one of the resident display gurus.

If I remember reading his posts correctly, the wattage on a plasma is basically MAXIMUM. But, who watches a blazingly bright white screen for entertainment?

The differences in energy consumption are not THAT great when you consider how much better performance you get, at lower cost as well.

If I was looking for a performance car, I wouldn't be buying a hybrid. But in this case, the energy consumption is much more comparable, than a hybrid vs normal combustion would be.

as for rmf:
its not the size of the room, its far you sit from it.

viewing distance calculator

distance VS resolution

Collapse -
Heat dissapation
by dinox64 / August 23, 2008 4:46 AM PDT

I just grabbed a thermometer ( kids ear type)and hit my display with it. 97% on the screen and 98% on the top rear,and it's been on all morning. The sides, bottom and rear center all were too low to register. But were all cool to the touch. I don't mean in comparison to the heated areas. I mean like cool steel, the kind it's made of.
My laptop gets hotter than my Tv ever does. Damn near cook eggs on the thing. I'm sure you've been to the stores. Just walk up and touch the things.

Collapse -
(NT) No, not particularly. 42 is a nice size, how small a room?
by NM_Bill / August 23, 2008 5:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
by mwooge / August 24, 2008 1:23 AM PDT

First off, wattage is wattage. It doesn't matter how big the device is, 573 watts from a big plazma is the same as from a light bulb.

Second, you put out 50-100 watts of power. So the plasma warms up the room as much as 6-11 people. If you're concerned about a dozen people over-heating your bedroom, don't get the plasma.

Collapse -
My ocd would let me pass over this old thread...
by knowitallnot / August 13, 2012 11:19 AM PDT

This is old and I'm sure nobody cares, but I wanted to state for the record to all those that 'think' they know what they're talking about, but don't.

I have had a 46" plasma in a 8' x 10' bedroom. With the door closed & the TV running, in a few hours, that bedrooms temp can get up to 81 or 82 degrees, while the rest of the house is at a comfortable 78 degrees. Just for the record...

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.