How To forum

Question

computor locked. how to bypass or delete admin password

by wendydrew08 / July 7, 2012 6:01 PM PDT

I have a dell inspiron 1525 that is locked. I turn on the laptop and the dell logo comes on and the it goes straight to a white screen that says. this computer system is protected by password auth system. Cant assess data without correct password. Must type in system or admin password then enter. i dont know the password. How to bypass or delete this screen to open windows vista and computer? please help asap, thanks wendy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computor locked. how to bypass or delete admin password
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computor locked. how to bypass or delete admin password
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
That's a BIOS password.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2012 12:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
Locked Computer
by wendydrew08 / July 8, 2012 9:09 AM PDT

Thanks, I called Dell and they wanted money from me of course and thats not an option. I want to buy it, but it is gonna cost me money just to get it working. So if I cant get some help to unlock the password, I think I will be giving it back to the person who probably stole it! Thanks for your time, Wendy

Collapse -
These laptops are usualy worth a few hundred.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2012 9:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Locked Computer

And the unlock system is to keep honest folk honest and to keep those that don't belong in that machine out.

The last time I did this it cost 75 bucks. Quite a bargain for a 99 buck laptop (it had other issues but I needed the good board inside.)
Bob

Collapse -
Stuffing
by Willy / July 8, 2012 10:55 PM PDT

Laptops have an extra level of security that isn't easily dismissed. Also, resolutions vary among makers and Dell isn't any different. Unlocking outside of any std. method is just asking for problems as that exactly what is intended. The typical unlocking sequence provided by Dell is generated by the certain "code" generated to help resolve this, so that's the key. Anything else is considered outside of the norm..

If in fact your post is not a flip-it remark then you have your own solution. The seller should have or so willing reduced the cost because of this issue. -OR- corrected it for future use by removing the PW.

adios -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
locked computer
by charliebee9 / July 10, 2012 7:33 PM PDT

hold f12 at start-up & see what chocies u have, could be reset to factory setting, or repair. good luck. charliebee

Collapse -
Answer
key feature-how to bypass or delete admin password
by sunilsony1000 / July 9, 2012 10:46 PM PDT

hye friend

restrat the pc ,go into bios setting by pressing f2 or del key or whatever key is displaying inthe at starting point, search every option inside the bios there is a password remove or off option . take the step . then press f10 . restart the system . you will get rid of administrator password.

Collapse -
good luck with that!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 10, 2012 8:52 AM PDT

Let's see.
Create a password for security but allow anyone with access to the F2 key to turn it off.

I'll bet your next weeks pay check that if there is such a setting, it will require the password to turn it off

Devil
Hmmm

P

Collapse -
Answer
Why -------
by coffeecan / July 10, 2012 10:03 AM PDT

Why are you folks trying to help someone that thinks the laptop is stolen??

The stated objective is to buy it, not to return to rightful owner!

I don't understand why you are willing to participate in a crime?

Collapse -
computer locked.
by mikeyanddeb / July 11, 2012 4:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Why -------

I agree with coffeecan. Someone 'gives' you a computer thats internally locked that its a VERY good chance its stolen.

Collapse -
Answer
computer locked
by tesabse / July 10, 2012 11:46 AM PDT

you can try to unlock your login password via safe mode, built-in admin account, password reset disk, etc. DIY a password reset disk will be your most efficient solution. search "Reset Password on Dell Inspiron" online to get more info!

Collapse -
Answer
Why did you set up this password?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 10, 2012 8:45 PM PDT

It's strange to setup a BIOS password then not remember what the password is.

If the computer is not yours then ask the person who owns it to let you have the password.

Mark

Collapse -
Why did you set up this password? - New!
by susanrokita / July 10, 2012 9:49 PM PDT

I agree. If the person who gave you the computer cannot supply the password, give the computer back. I'd hate to think someone could steal my computer and a well meaning person would help them get access to it by telling them how to bypass or reset the admin password.

Collapse -
Answer
computer locked,how to bypass password
by waynes470 / July 11, 2012 2:34 AM PDT

Switch on Computer and hold down F8 key,select Boot-Up in Safe Mode.Worked for me.

Collapse -
Answer
I think this one has gone as far as it should.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 11, 2012 6:23 AM PDT

The OP is aware that this machine may be stolen and has suggested her course of action in light of this.

Thread locked

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.