Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computing without internet service

by Jamfan55 / March 28, 2008 11:33 PM PDT

This is complicated.
I've been thinking for some time that, instead of using one PC to do everything, I should seperate functions to different computers. Use this bigger and more powerful PC purely for photo, audio and video conversion and editing, and do email and "internet stuff" on a smaller PC, laptop, or even a public computer
Now, I find I'm forced to deal with it. I'm disabled, on a severely limited income, and the luxury of home internet access isn't in my budget.

I need to prepare this PC to function without internet access, for months, years, or even indefinitely. Clean out all the email and messaging BS, etc., get some good maintenance utilities, disable unnecessary services, get everything working right.
But I'm worried about my software becoming dysfuntional and causing problems if it isn't allowed to "call home" regularly.

I have a reconditioned Gateway FX400 X, I've added 2 hard drives, upped my Ram to 2 GB, upgraded my power supply, added fans, etc. Eventually I hope to replace or upgrade my processor.
I have Win XP home, IE 6 SP2
an HP Scanjet 4850 scanner, Lexmark printer
use Picture It 9, Win Media Player, Premiere Elements 3, Wavepad

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computing without internet service
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computing without internet service
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My mom does that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2008 11:37 PM PDT

We got her a laptop and for the internet she does that while at a free wifi hotspot. There is no paid internet at home.

As to the software, if it works, it works. Replace call home and die software with such that doesn't need such like "Open Office."

Why not?
Bob

Collapse -
I don't know which ones...
by Jamfan55 / March 28, 2008 11:57 PM PDT
In reply to: My mom does that.

are the "call home and die" type, though I'm afraid my OS is one of them, lol.

What is "Open Office"?

Collapse -
My real questions
by Jamfan55 / April 8, 2008 6:51 PM PDT
In reply to: My mom does that.

are regarding my work PC.
Without internet, which processes can I disable to save on power? Even with some programs off or not used, there are sometimes components that are still on.

Stuff to clean out?

Don't see the need for multiple accounts.

You recommend any good maintenance utilities, preferably that don't use a lot of CPU?

What else haven't I thought of?

Collapse -
If the machine works OK ...
by Kees Bakker / April 8, 2008 6:57 PM PDT
In reply to: My real questions

don't change anything. It's not worth the trouble and the risk (that is, the risk if you don't know what you're doing). Processes that aren't doing anything don't use power.

Kees

Collapse -
Usually it works okay
by Jamfan55 / April 9, 2008 1:47 AM PDT

but I do a lot of video editing, and that uses a lot of CPU. I think something some process may be causing occasional glitches when I'm capturing video.
It helps to eliminate as many processes running in the background as possible. I turn off my AV and AS (since I'm not doing it online)- but I'm not going to need those anyway, since I won't be taking this PC online ever.

I keep the taskmanager open, minimised to the system tray, and watch it constantly, to avoid freeze ups

There's another question : how to add the taskmanager to the start menu, so it comes in the tray when I start up, instead of having to do the Ctl-Alt-Del every time

Collapse -
Go for it
by Willy / March 28, 2008 11:52 PM PDT

If you have access to wifi, free or very limited cost, you can still use the www. Restaurants like McDonald's, Wendy's, etc., may offer free(or small cost) wifi w/o hunting for one. Metro and college type areas, may offer free wifi or limited access wifi, check it out.

If no ISP s/w to de-install, review what you want to keep and delete it. Review whatever pgms. suit you and go from there. You can keep any past internet s/w and just not use them, excluding HD space. That's the simplest method, keep whatever you got and do a minor system cleaning and refrain from using some s/w, if that works, then delete it when you want. If you have other systems, then do what you mentioned, make those be more task specific. good luck

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.