Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Computers shut down immediately after Boot Up

by Mike7p / June 29, 2010 5:40 AM PDT

I have 2 computers the first is a home built desktop, the second an HP 2140 Net Book, both running Win 7 Home Premium. Last week they both started to behave strangely.
On start up, the desktop appears as normal, and then immediately Windows automatically closes down. There is no BSOD or anything like that. It just goes through a perfectly ordinary shutdown only halting to warn that it is waiting for background running programs to close.
As this is happening on both machines I guess it?s safe to rule out hardware failure.
I don?t recall installing any new programs recently, only regular MS Updates.
I?ve tried doing a system restore but always get the ?Failed to complete? error.
If I boot up in Safe Mode both machines work fine,
Can anyone offer any suggestions what may be the cause, and how I can fix it please?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computers shut down immediately after Boot Up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computers shut down immediately after Boot Up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
About system restore.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2010 6:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks, I read the info and
by Mike7p / June 29, 2010 3:59 PM PDT
In reply to: About system restore.

removed Norton, then restored system to a time before the shutdown problem appeared, but this still hasn't sorted the problem. Do you, or any one else have any further suggestions? I really would like to avoid having to re format the drive and re install Windows.
Has any one else here encountered this problem recently?
Hope you can help!!
Regards
Mike7P

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2010 9:16 PM PDT

But I was guessing about Norton (and appear to have guessed right.) Your posts leave out so much detail that I can't guess what next. It could be anything so keep writing and see if anyone has new ideas.
Bob

PS. About Norton. Don't you find it odd they didn't warn you about that?

Collapse -
Just for yuks.
by bob b / June 30, 2010 6:11 AM PDT

Msconfig>startup

Untic everthing.....reboot....any diff?

Collapse -
win7 installation source?
by tds / June 30, 2010 2:35 PM PDT

both machines having the same problem, it might be the win7 source disc is not a good copy.

Collapse -
Good point.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2010 9:10 PM PDT

Just last week another incident with someone that tried one of those "Windows Activators." Nothing but trouble.
Bob

Collapse -
2 separate dvds & product keys
by Mike7p / June 30, 2010 11:21 PM PDT

both bought from amazon last October. Both machines run perfectly 'til this weekend!

Collapse -
Anything common to the machines?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2010 11:30 PM PDT
Collapse -
Sorted at last!!!
by Mike7p / July 11, 2010 5:18 PM PDT

By un-installing and re-installing all 3rd party programs one at a time, I found that my machines don't like GFI Backup for some reason. I have completely removed the program and all is now well. I did re-install it again but the problem returned. As there are plenty of alternatives available, I don't think I'll try to find the reason it doesn't work for me.
Thanks to you all for your various suggestions.
Regards
Mike7P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.