Windows 7

General discussion

Computers fan runs alot

by Carolyn123 / July 17, 2010 10:10 PM PDT

Hi. I have a HP Pavillion Elite and this problem started occuring after we had a power failure the other night. When I start the computer, after about 5 minutes the fan starts and will not shut off. I tried putting it into the sleep mode and then turn back on and that seems to stop the fan from running. What could be the problem. The computer is only 7 months old.

Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computers fan runs alot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computers fan runs alot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
At 7 months.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2010 11:15 PM PDT

Well inside the warranty so make it their problem. Yes you could system restore to the day before the power loss but in warranty means you have options.
Bob

Collapse -
Fan problems
by brett_windows_team / July 19, 2010 4:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
Reasons for CPU fans running constantly!
by printinghost / July 23, 2010 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Fan problems

Computers allow us to connect with people from around the world, and successfully complete school and business work. Unfortunately, technical issues can arise after prolonged use of a computer or due to manufacturer issues. A computer fan that runs all the time can be from your personal habits when using your computer. Fortunately inexpensive steps can be taken to resolve the matter.

1. ventilation
If you are using a laptop computer in your lap or on a cloth for an extended period of time, your computer may be overheating, causing the fan consistently run. Since the computer has little insulation between the surface and the motherboard, the fan stays on. Purchase a cooling pad for the laptop. It can be found at your local office supply store. If you don't want to buy a cooling pad, you can periodically lift your laptop up and sit it on a desk, countertop or another flat surface.

If your desktop is overheating, it could be because it is in a small area with with little ventilation. Ensure your desktop is in an area that allows air to circulate.

2. Dust
You computer fan may have accumulated a lot of dust, which causes the fan to run continuously. Purchase compressed air and periodically spray the computer fan to loosen up any dust that may have accumulated. Most computer fans are exposed, so accessing the fan should not be a challenge.

3. Technical issues
In some cases, your computer may have either a defective fan or thermostat. Computer providers, such as Dell, allow you to purchase a new fan and replace it yourself. For thermostat issues, you may have to contact a computer repair professional for assistance.

4. Computer is overworked
Depending on the age of your computer multiple programs that are running can cause it to overheat. Watching a lot of DVDs, playing video games, and listening to music on your computer also can cause overheating. Considering closing some of your programs and rebooting your computer.

5. Viruses or spyware
Spyware can continuously run on your computer, causing the fan to overheat. Spyware is software that may have installed on your computer without your knowledge. Perform a virus and spyware scan on your computer. Download.com offers free or paid software for spyware and virus scanning and removal.

Good luck!

Message was edited by: admin to remove signature link which is prohibited in these forums.

Collapse -
Generic Responce?
by cruzansailor / July 23, 2010 2:16 PM PDT

The respondent sound like he is reading from his script in Bangalore, or he is hoping to get you to visit his website.
There are many reasons for the fan to run irregularly or constantly. Flash your BIOS for starters and maybe look at driver problems. First of course do some time traveling and restore your machine to an earlier time, like someone else suggested. Being as you have an HP, you can go to HP website and finsd all the drivers and bios for your machine. Use the Autodetect to get the exact model of your computer. Good Luck.

Collapse -
DUST AND GRIME...
by Jim Kovacs / July 24, 2010 12:22 AM PDT

I had this problem for months now and just lived with the noise of a Jet-plane from my CPU. Some days ago I decided to upgrade and install a new RAM card, so I opened her up and WOW ! The amount of dust was awesome.
Main place to clean is right below the Processor Fan. Some of us like to remove it and clean outside, but I did just fine with a small vacuum-cleaner and a stiff brush.
The difference is awesome and my machine runs cooler. WIN WIN all ways.
Now I will do this every 4 months or so !!
good luck !

Collapse -
Removing dust
by geognerd / July 24, 2010 3:01 PM PDT
In reply to: DUST AND GRIME...

I second the suggestion to open the case and look for dust buildup. However, I wouldn't recommend the use of a vacuum cleaner. Static electricity can develop at the end of the nozzle and could discharge onto the electronics in the case, ruining your computer. A safer choice would be to use a can of compressed air and use brief puffs to loosen the dust, then blow away.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.