Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Computer wont connect to Internet/Network

by pcwiz100 / August 10, 2007 6:05 AM PDT

I have 2 (1 old, 1 new) computers (The old one running Windows XP Professional and the new one running Windows XP Professional SP2) that are sharing the same cable net connection through a Linksys WRT54GC router. This configuration worked for a couple of years but now, only the new computer will connect to the internet. The old computer doesn't connect at all.

I have already tried:

1) Restarting the Computer
2) Powercycling the Modem and Router

That didn't fix it. Also, I notice that when I restart the old computer, in IPCONFIG, everything seems correct, but the internet connection doesn't work. Here are the settings:

Connection-specific DNS suffix:
IP Address:
Subnet Mask:
Default Gateway:

Then, I enter the command ipconfig /release and I get this

IP Address:
Subnet Mask:
Default Gateway:

Then, I enter ipconfig /renew and I get this error:

An error ocurred when renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

Then, I enter the command IPCONFIG again and I see this configuration:

Autoconfiguration IP Address:
Subnet Mask:
Default Gateway:

I just think its weird how one computer can connect to the net and one cant.

Thanks in advance

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer wont connect to Internet/Network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer wont connect to Internet/Network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
By your description, the first thing I think of. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 10, 2007 10:34 PM PDT

is to update the old one to SP2. There are enhanced networking applications in SP2.

Second thing is to update the router firmware.

Third - move the Ethernet cable to another port on the router. One port may have gone bad.

Fourth - replace the NIC. Or just for grins, swap it with the working one, see if the problems moves.

That oddball IP address comes up when the NIC cannot access the LAN.

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, internet connections,
spyware removal, and download free software.

5 dB hot.

Collapse -
by pcwiz100 / August 11, 2007 1:54 AM PDT

First of all, I can't update the older one to SP2 because last time I attempted to install SP2 on the computer, the computer locked up in the middle of installation and wouldn't boot and the OS had to be reinstalled.

I'll try and update the router firmware and see what happens. I'l also try plugging the cable into another port on the router.

I really don't want to replace or move the NIC.

Thanx for the help

Collapse -
How about
by PudgyOne / August 11, 2007 2:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Alright

trading connections and see if one works or both.

Could make your guesswork easier in narrowing down the problem.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.