Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer Wont Boot, Beeping Instead

by Mud Shark / January 2, 2008 4:43 PM PST

Ok this sucks, first my sister's computer goes down now mine. Eh, sorry.

Anyway, I was using my computer and it just blacked out. It was still powered on, it just wasn't displaying anything. Then it started making these long beeps, with a medium sized pause in between. I turned it off and turned it on and it just kept doing the same thing. It won't even boot into the BIOS, just beeps. I knew that they meant something so I did some research, and from what I've gathered it sounds like it's a memory issue, but I don't know. Is it RAM or hard drive memory that's causing problems? And could the motherboard be a culprit as well?

Is there any way for me to tell other than going by the beep? Could it be anything else? Any help would be greatly appreciated. My system is a homebuilt XP machine, if more details are needed just let me know. Thanks a bunch.

-Vinn

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Wont Boot, Beeping Instead
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Wont Boot, Beeping Instead
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The motherboard manual ...
by Kees Bakker / January 2, 2008 5:10 PM PST

should detail the meaning of the beebs. Different errors give different patterns of beebs. So find the manual (on paper, on CD, on Internet) and then find the right page.

Kees

Collapse -
Some Questions
by Waldorf PC / January 2, 2008 8:18 PM PST

It could be a number of things. I'll ask you some questions to try to get an idea of where to began to help.

1. What does the screen look like when it boots?
2. Does any specific error message come up?
3. During the time the computer was still working, did you ever get a blue screen?

The beeping and not booting can be a number of things. Get back to me and let me know. I'll see what I ca do about helping you troubleshoot the matter. Hopefully, we'll get somewhere.

Collapse -
Answers
by Mud Shark / January 3, 2008 3:46 AM PST
In reply to: Some Questions

1. Nothing is displayed when it boots. It just says "No Signal" on the monitor.
2. No specific error messages come up. Again, the screen doesn't even show anything.
3. There were no error messages or blue screens prior to this happening. It seemed to just happen out of the blue while I was surfing Youtube.

Hope these answers help. I did find the motherboard's manual and skimmed through it, didnt see anything about beeps. I found more info about it online than in the manual. Thanks a bunch.

Collapse -
more specific than beeps.
by juclark50 / January 4, 2008 4:56 AM PST
In reply to: Some Questions

2 long 1 short 1 long....
3 long beeps..
1 short 2 long..

what beeps are you getting, i'll tell you the issue.

Collapse -
What I'm Getting
by Mud Shark / January 4, 2008 2:45 PM PST

Just constant beeping, like a beacon almost. One long beep, then a moderate pause, then another long beep, followed by the pause. Fairly uniform from what I can tell, same length.

Collapse -
what bios
by juclark50 / January 4, 2008 5:25 PM PST
In reply to: What I'm Getting
Collapse -
some years ago...
by James Denison / January 3, 2008 4:42 AM PST

...Dell among others shipped computers that had a lot of the internal wires bundled with plastic ties to make a heavy cable inside the computer. Unfortunately, on some models this cable would bump or rest right against the memory boards and just a little jostling would cause the memory boards to loosen and the computer to quit working unexpectedly. What you describe sounds like the memory board on your computer may have come loose. Just opening the side and pushing it down may solve the problem.

Collapse -
Hmm I wonder..
by Mud Shark / January 3, 2008 4:58 AM PST
In reply to: some years ago...

Thanks for the advice. I plan on pulling the tower out and taking a peek inside tonight, so I'll definitely check to see if anything is loose before I start replacing stuff. Thanks for the tip.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.