Windows 7 forum

Computer won't wake up after sleep mode

by nickantho0582 / November 11, 2012 1:20 AM PST

I built this computer in March of this year and everything worked great. I had my power options set up so I could switch between high performance and power saver for when I'm not using it. Power saver was set up to turn off display and put the computer to sleep after 1 minute. I don't recall changing any of the advanced settings but maybe I forgot something.

I used to wake it up simply by hitting the space bar and everything would come back on. I just did a clean install of Windows 7 two days ago and since then when I choose power saver and it goes to sleep after whatever time I set it to, it no longer wakes up. Well, this is where I'm lost because it still makes the same noises like the fans spinning harder and all that but nothing appears on my monitor. At first I thought it had something to do with my monitor but I just realized that the lights on my mouse don't come on either. Which they used to before when I'd hit the space bar.

Any help would be much appreciated.

My build:
Windows 7 Home Premium
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
(RAM) 8.00GB
System type: 64- bit

Not sure if any other info is needed but please let me know if I missed something.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer won't wake up after sleep mode
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer won't wake up after sleep mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
It's likely you didn't repeat what you did before.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 11, 2012 1:54 AM PST

Did you keep your notes about Windows installation? Such as motherboard drivers and that BIOS setting to keep the USB power on and wake on interrupt? Remember I can't tell you exactly what it is with a custom machine. That's something for the folk that built the machine to supply.

Collapse -
Computer won't wake up after sleep mode - New!
by nickantho0582 / November 11, 2012 4:51 AM PST

I'm just looking for somebody who knows a little about the advanced settings in the power options to see if maybe I've got something set wrong.

Is this BIOS setting you're referring to going to be in my BIOS menu somewhere?

Collapse -
While I know the advanced power options it won't help
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 11, 2012 5:18 AM PST

Because I don't have your machine to look at. If you supply screen shots of the BIOS or the board's manual with the BIOS screens I can see if it's there.

Again, to wake from sleep from USB keyboard taps means we must have the USB power "up" and respond to the IRQ that happens (a BIOS thing along with drivers.)

It's quite complicated and why many folk scream at others about how in 2 decades a custom PC is going to be a support anchor. I like mine but I have my notes about settings and what drivers to install.

Collapse -
by nickantho0582 / November 11, 2012 6:39 AM PST
Collapse -
Chapter 3.5.7 notes it's disabled by default.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 11, 2012 7:14 AM PST
In reply to: Motherboard

Why not turn that on?

Collapse -
I'll try that
by nickantho0582 / November 11, 2012 8:00 AM PST

I'm not sure which one though. I'm reading up about PS/2 and it says it's a 6-pin Mini-DIN connector. My keyboard has a USB connection. I guess I'll turn them all on or one by one and see if any of them work.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
by nickantho0582 / November 11, 2012 8:14 AM PST
In reply to: I'll try that

Well none of those worked. Could it really be something like that though? Because I've never messed with any of that before and hitting the space bar always used to work. The only thing I ever messed with before were the power options in Windows.

Collapse -
You may have to do more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 11, 2012 8:45 AM PST
In reply to: I'll try that

Since the manual writes about wake on PS/2 and you have USB, you have to try the legacy keyboard option.

Again, I don't own your machine but this is the downside of custom machines. If the maker didn't tell you how they set it up, you rarely find you can go back.

-> When in sleep mode the power LED blinks. Let's hope it is.

Collapse -
by HEdenfield / April 8, 2013 12:37 PM PDT

Can be a bad powersupply. Look in the windows system log files, If your getting a kernel power error, chances are, this is the problem.

Had a computer last week, that would power up, run fine. After sleep, computer would wake up, however no display output. Replaced PSU, works great.

Collapse -
Won't wake up
by kc6qdi / November 24, 2012 3:27 AM PST

Check your settings for keyboard and mouse: there is a setting to allow both to wake up computer from sleep. It is possible these are not set correctly

Collapse -
Nothing clean about it
by scott-weaver / August 17, 2013 10:50 AM PDT

I had to laugh when you wrote he'd had to do a "clean install". There is no such thing as a Windows clean install. PLUEEZE!

I've been dealing with Windows sleep issues for at least ten years. You'll think you've solved the problem and it comes back months later without warning. Just one of the those things Microsoft has never been able to get right. You see, they're only about half as smart as they want you to believe they are.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.