Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer won't stay in Standby mode

by Tom_SF / February 19, 2008 4:11 AM PST

It's a Compaq Presario 6350us desktop running Windows XP. I just got through running a full recovery and updated everything that could be updated but the thing just will NOT stay in Standby mode for more than 30 seconds.

I disabled the screensaver, went to msconfig to start it with the essentials-only and it still wakes itself up from Standby mode. Anyone know what I'm missing here?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer won't stay in Standby mode
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer won't stay in Standby mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If it does that after a full wipe and isntall
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2008 4:26 AM PST

Then you may need it repaired. It could have a broken touchpad or such.

Did you try disabling the touchpad in the BIOS?

Collapse -
In the BIOS ...
by Kees Bakker / February 19, 2008 4:30 AM PST

check wake-up-on-LAN and similar settings.

Kees

Collapse -
OK, I solved my own problem....
by Tom_SF / March 2, 2008 3:03 AM PST
In reply to: In the BIOS ...

Here's how to keep your computer from waking up from Standby mode:

Go to Start> Control Panel> Performance & Maintenance> and select "System".

Click the "Hardware" tab and select "Device Manager".\

Go to "Network Adapters" and click the "+" sign. Then right-click the item below it; in this case "RealTek RTL8139...Ethernet" and select "Properties". Under the "Power Management" tab, uncheck the box that says "Allow this device to take the computer out of standby" and the computer will stay in Standby mode when you put it in Standby mode.

Collapse -
Forum reply dated 3-2-08 11:03 AM from Tom_SF
by littletechsavy / August 25, 2008 5:27 AM PDT

Topic was "OK, I solved my own problem" regarding his computer not staying in Stand By mode.
WOW-- Great reading from all the replys and I tried many suggestions and this one WORKED for our 2nd computer used for work. It just wouldn't stay in Stand By mode so I did what you said Tom and it is still in Stand By mode after an hour. Thanks from littletechsavy

Collapse -
Solved My Own Problem
by Tom_SF / November 9, 2008 6:53 AM PST

Glad I could help. It's just one more thing you never see in the handbook.

Collapse -
Thank you!
by John112255 / June 28, 2010 1:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Solved My Own Problem

Tom,

Thanks for your help on this. I gave up a long time ago trying to get my computer to stay in standby mode and I just left it on instead.

Solving this problem is a win-win for my electric bill and the enviroment.

Collapse -
Any time....
by Tom_SF / June 30, 2010 8:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you!

I know it's an old post, but it's good to know it's still helping.

Collapse -
ThanQ
by Jogivyas / January 3, 2009 8:28 AM PST

My computer wasn't staying in Stand-by mode. I found your tip on c-net forum, it is working. I want to thank you!. Happy New Year!Jogi Vyas

Collapse -
computer won't stay in standby
by bandy1947 / May 2, 2009 12:08 AM PDT

Thanks for the info. Have been baffled by this problem for more than a year... your solution worked... thanks again

Collapse -
Window's 7 having same issue
by joker5667 / January 24, 2011 3:02 AM PST

is there a way to do this for windows 7? My computer comes out of hibernation and sleep mode and will only stay off when I do a shut down. I have a Lenovo Ideapad y560.

Collapse -
Checked the Network Adapters In Device Manager Yet?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 24, 2011 5:09 AM PST

Control Panel-Device Manager (Or RIGHT click on "Computer" on your desktop, choose "Properties", then click on the "Device Manager" link in the upper left.), then click on the + sign next to the "Network Adapters" listing, then RIGHT click on the specific ethernet adapter listed there, choose "Properties". Once there, click on the "Advanced" tab and depending on your specific network driver, scroll in the menu to the listings named "Wake on Link Settings", or "Wake on Magic packet", or something similar.. "Disable" them all, then click on OK, etc...

Now do the same for your wireless network adapter, IF you have one.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I'll see if this helps
by joker5667 / January 24, 2011 8:38 AM PST

I clicked on Broadcom Netlink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet and changed "Wake Up Capabilities" to Value "None" from "Both" i think both was referring to the other tow options "Magic Packet" and "Wake Up Frame" Thanks for the help!

Collapse -
(NT) Good Job ! Let Us Know If It Doesn't Fix The Issue...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 24, 2011 9:10 AM PST
In reply to: I'll see if this helps
Collapse -
That worked!
by W#8yT1vx5Nh9SJ / October 5, 2011 3:21 PM PDT

Thanks mucho !! Laugh

Collapse -
Small Correction
by mike107c / July 12, 2014 7:59 AM PDT

When you open Control Panel, switch to "Category View" in the box on the far left. This will let the "Performance & Maintenance" option be available.

Collapse -
presario 6350us
by steveaust / August 2, 2008 5:01 PM PDT

I wish I could help you but I can't. I need recovery disc for this presario 6350us can you help me.
thanks
Steve

Collapse -
Not sure but maybe this will help...
by glenn30 / August 25, 2008 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: presario 6350us
Collapse -
COMPUTER WONT STAY IN STANDBY
by bpope3850 / October 20, 2009 10:17 AM PDT

Thank you for your help, it worked and now my computer stays in standby when I put it there.

Collapse -
computer will not stay in sleep mode
by shaymoss0 / March 17, 2012 5:36 AM PDT

High i got same problem . So i tryed disconecting the internet power supplie .My computer then sleeped all night.

Collapse -
Change settings
by krishhh47 / March 17, 2012 6:04 PM PDT

I guess you need to change your setting and it ll fix the prob.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.