Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Computer Won't Restart When Told

by Kaitlynn1986 / November 26, 2009 4:46 AM PST

Basics:

Windows XP, Home Edition w/ Service Pack 2
Dell Inspiron 6000

Ok, to start from the beginning, I recently had to reinstall Windows XP on my computer, a system wipe was needed. Now I went to Dell to reinstall some components that Dell offered, included a new version of the BIOS (currently running version A05 and version A09 is available). Of course, I have to flash the BIOs for the update.

Problem is when the computer goes to restart is just sits...all the icons on the desktop disappear, the start button and task bar, just the background is there and the mouse arrow (which does move) but it just sits and doesn't restart. Of course, I have to do a manual shut down and that causes the BIOS to not update.

Anyone know what the issue is? Or is there another way I can install the new BIOS?

Thanks,
Kaitlynn

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Won't Restart When Told
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Won't Restart When Told
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's see what Dell says.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2009 5:37 AM PST
Collapse -
Install
by Kaitlynn1986 / November 29, 2009 9:32 PM PST

I was not able to finish installing the new BIOS version since I end up having to do a hard shut down.

Collapse -
Then finish the OS install.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2009 9:42 PM PST
In reply to: Install

I read this discussion again and see an incomplete OS install.

Collapse -
In complete install, huh?
by Kaitlynn1986 / November 29, 2009 10:44 PM PST

Thats really odd. I'm not new to computers, but i kinda figured the install was complete. I didn't have any other prompts or messages that it wasn't finished. I followed everything...but I guess I'll take your word for it...gotta get the disc back then. (I wasn't given a system disc when I purchased the thing).

Collapse -
Let's recap.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2009 11:05 PM PST

You have Windows XP installed but the story is light after that. No mention or links to the drivers we finish the OS off with. If we forgot or were unlucky in some old driver then the symptom matches.

It's not pretty but installing Windows is still too hard in my view. Isn't it about time the makers clearly state how to install this OS and what to install next and in what order?

Bob

Collapse -
edit...
by Kaitlynn1986 / November 29, 2009 10:46 PM PST

I guess I should say that to my knowledge the OS finished the install but the BIOs was not able to install.

Collapse -
try this...
by 747_air / November 29, 2009 11:03 PM PST

I have had similar issues.. Try booting in safe mode to start the flash application - it may work. If not, is there a dos version of the flash application available? Give that a try.

When I had this problem, the PC would be told to reboot, but it would just shut off - never reboot. After the flash it now runs normally.

Collapse -
Thanks for the suggestion
by Kaitlynn1986 / November 30, 2009 6:40 AM PST
In reply to: try this...

Well,I tried and just my luck, safe mode didn't come through for me. But thank you for the suggestion.

Collapse -
dos bios
by 747_air / December 1, 2009 12:13 AM PST

Sorry to hear that! No DOS version available?

Collapse -
Nope
by Kaitlynn1986 / December 1, 2009 8:10 AM PST
In reply to: dos bios

Nope, unfortunately I dont believe there is. I need to take a look at it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.