Desktops forum

General discussion

computer won't restart? help?

by yook / December 16, 2003 3:13 PM PST

Hi. I have a weird computer problem that I haven't been able to find support for anywhere, and I have absolutely no clue what is going on.

Here's the deal. Whenever I turn off my computer, whether it's been running for an hour, or 2 weeks, it won't turn back on right away. Usually it'll turn back on after an hour or so, but lately it has been taking longer and longer. Today it took like 3 hours and I'm fed up. What is going on??

Here's what happens when I try to turn it on. The fans spin and the power light comes on. I hear some clicks, and what sounds like the hard drive spinning for 1 second. That's about it.

I've ruled out the power supply and anything else really serious, cuz when it does finally boot after a couple hours, everything works absolutely fine. At first I thought it might have something to do with it overheating, and needing to cool down, and I guess that would make the most sense, but why specifically would that cause this problem?

Does anyone have any ideas at all? I'm pretty desperate. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My computer is a:
HP Pavilion 7960
Intel Pentium 1.3 GHz
Intel 850 Chipset
ASUS mobo
GeForce FX 5200
512MB RAM

if any of that helps somehow.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer won't restart? help?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer won't restart? help?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:computer won't restart? help?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2003 8:21 PM PST

"I've ruled out the power supply and anything else really serious, cuz when it does finally boot after a couple hours, everything works absolutely fine."

How did you do that? I only rule out a part when I change it out with newer or better and it didn't fix it.

Look at this epidemic problem -> http://www.google.com/search?&q=BAD+MOTHERBOARD+CAPACITORS

That issue will cause your symptoms and the fix is to replace the capacitors (rarely done) or to change out the motherboard.

The cheap item to change out is the CMOS or BIOS battery. Rare, but since it's cheap, it's changed out first.

Bob

Collapse -
Question the Power Supply
by nworley / December 17, 2003 6:17 AM PST

Many of the computer suppliers build boxes with just an adequate power supply for the installed components. as the power supply output decays over time (heat resistors, etc.) the power supply is not strong enough to supply the starting voltages,and amperage required. It takes a lot more juice to start something than to keep it running. If you by chance get the box to boot up then it will continue to run because the demand on the power supply is reduced. If you have added a different hard drive or an additional drive of some sort, or a video board, or the power supply is clogged with dust, then you have changed the parameters enough to cause a marginal supply to fail often. The cheapest thing to do is try another supply.

Norm

Collapse -
Re:Question the Power Supply
by Homegrown / December 17, 2003 2:11 PM PST

Have you tried booting from a floppy disk. If your hard drive has an intermittent problem it might cause the sort of trouble you are having. I have expereienced a similar problem with a failing hard drive, when starting cold or when restarting after the power saver shuts down the drive. If your machine boots OK from a floppy or CD disk then your power supply is probably OK. Another trick you might try is unplugging your computer and waiting for 60 seconds then plug it in and try starting it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.