PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Computer won't power up ---- no green light, no fan activity

by byroncherry / February 24, 2006 9:26 PM PST

Hi all,
I came home yesteday to find the computer off. When I tried to turn it on, nothing happened. As above, there was no noise, no fan activity, no green light -- nothing.

I took off the shell (its a Dell by the way), and noticed a green LCD lights up inside. But nothing else happens.

This also happened when I returned from a week-long trip a few months ago. I messed with some stuff inside, and voila, it worked. No such luck this time.

Do you think this might be an easy fix? It's obviously power-related. Something that Best Buy or Geek Squad can fix, or do I need to go through Dell?

Thanks very much!
P.S. This is my first post!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer won't power up ---- no green light, no fan activity
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer won't power up ---- no green light, no fan activity
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
call dell first
by ramarc / February 24, 2006 10:06 PM PST

since you didn't mention what things you "messed with" I can't give you any good advice except to find your 'real' power switch. The button on the case usually activates another switch, sometimes via a lever. Sometimes things get a bit out of alignment so the case button never activates the 'real' switch.

But call Dell first before you spend any 'real' money.

Collapse -
Power Supply
by mgi192 / February 24, 2006 10:06 PM PST

Hi there, sounds like your power supply. Geeks Galore can fix it for you in a flash, you can call us at 613-472-2017

Collapse -
If you're not comfortable. . .
by Coryphaeus / February 24, 2006 10:09 PM PST

with ''messing with it'' again, then do what is most convenient to you. Carry-in will save a few bucks in an in-home service call.

I'd call Dell, in warranty or not, they should be able to tell you where an authorized repair center is located. If there are none, then I'd find someone locally such as Best Buy or CompUSA.

It sounds like something is loose on the power supply end, but in normal practice, things shouldn't get loose.

Wayne

?Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.? - Dandemis
Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about telephones,
internet connections, spyware removal, and download free software.

Collapse -
I've been there
by WalterK101 / February 24, 2006 10:20 PM PST

This EXACT thing happened to me recently. Turned out it was the bios battery on the motherboard. Just replaced it and everything cranked up just fine.

Collapse -
Bios battery?
by byroncherry / February 24, 2006 10:59 PM PST
In reply to: I've been there

Is the Bios battery just the little 3V battery in there that you can buy from Wal Mart?

I'd gladly try that.

I haven't noticed any clock issues though...wouldn't that be a tell-tale sign of the bios battery dying?

Collapse -
Power Cycle
by mihero / February 24, 2006 10:47 PM PST

hi
Just unplug yru comp from the main power source,
then keep the power button the CPU pressed for 30 sec.

this may fix the problem, its called power cycling yur computer,
Hope it helps.
Cheers
Shine Raj
SHiNE//

Collapse -
I've done this a few times
by deeluve22 / February 24, 2006 10:52 PM PST

I work on Dell PCs at work. Unplug everything from the power supply. Drives...motherboard...power to the wall (which should have been step one)...everything. Note the fan inside the power supply. When you plug the power from the wall into the power supply, the fan should move. If the fan doesn't move, you have a dead power supply.

Collapse -
What if its the power supply?
by byroncherry / February 24, 2006 10:56 PM PST

Is that something that Best Buy can replace/fix?

I'm not savvy enough to unplug everything from the power supply, but I will try the "cycling" suggestion.

Thanks all.

Collapse -
Same
by icedragon2002002 / February 24, 2006 11:06 PM PST

I have a Dell Optiplex Buisness machine and i've noticed that the fan turns on for a slight moment then turns off, I also had the same problem and used this piece of info and determined that i needed a new power supply

Collapse -
Ok...?
by byroncherry / February 24, 2006 11:37 PM PST
In reply to: Same

I'm still trying to determine what that means that I "need a new power supply."

Where do I get one?
How much are they?
Who can install them?

Collapse -
power supply
by ramarc / February 24, 2006 11:53 PM PST
In reply to: Ok...?

decent power supplies run anywhere from $40 to over $100 depending on wattage. check out circuit city/comp usa. anybody with computer experience can replace one. you could probably do it yourself.

since you still have a lit led on the mobo, i question if your power supply is really dead. the rear of the power supply should have a rocker switch that you can turn off. (its equivalent to pulling the plug... even when the pc is off, the power supply is still sending juice to the mobo. that's why the green led is on.)

did you remove the front bezel and check the power switch? is the button on the case activating the power switch?

Collapse -
Its the big box that you plug the power line into
by icewire / February 25, 2006 2:03 AM PST
In reply to: power supply

Thats to put in in non technical terms, i happend to blow the power supply on my self-built pc but as luck has it i just got a new HP computer, DELLs suck Happy
(unless you build it yourself)

To replace it there should be a tray to hold it in just remove it from the tray and replace it with another similiar supply.

DELL should be able to help Happy

Collapse -
Fixed! It was the power supply...
by byroncherry / February 25, 2006 4:15 AM PST

Got a new one for $60, works like a charm.

Thanks to all.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.