Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer won't load user accounts

by cambrano1 / July 1, 2008 8:45 AM PDT

I have a Dell 4700 running XP that had a trojan that was saying I needed to install spyware software. Norton wasn't taking care of it so I installed avast. After I installed avast it wouldn't let me log into the any of the user account. I would click on a user account and it would act like it's loading and the desktop would flash then it would all of sudden log out the user and say saving profile settings. Then it would just go to the log in screen with the list of user accounts. I started it in Safe Mode with networking and was ablt to log on. I ran an avast scan. As the scan was running it said it needed to shut down and restart the computer and run the scan on start up. I ran the scan and had it delete any problems it found. It had 1712 infected files. After it was done I restarted the computer and tried logging on and it's still not loading the user account. I tried starting it in safe mode again but this time it wouldn't load the admin account. It acted like it did and the it would log off all of sudden. I tried all of the safe mode options and last known good configuration but none of them will let me log on. Any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer won't load user accounts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer won't load user accounts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you still running Norton?
by 4Denise / July 1, 2008 11:31 AM PDT

Avast is an antivirus program. Norton has antivirus protection. Running two antivirus programs on the same computer is bad. They will interfere with one another, and cause various strange symptoms.

Antispyware programs are different. You can run an antivirus and an antispyware program at the same time without problems. An example of an antispyware program would be Spybot Search & Destroy. It is a different type of program.

I suggest that you disable one of the antivirus programs and see if it helps.

P.S. You should select and install at least one antispyware program.

Collapse -
Running Norton and Avast
by cambrano1 / July 2, 2008 2:49 AM PDT

I figured that was a problem. After I installed Avast I knew I should have uninstalled Norton and I was kicken myself in the rear. I know better than that, lol. Now I can't log on at all and uninstall one of them so I'm kinda stuck until I can figure out a way to log on.
I did find in another thread that the malware could have corrupted the registry and that's causing the log on log off loop. Here's the link.
I'm thinkning maybe I should try that. It seems pretty in depth though. Wish me luck!

Collapse -
You should be able to uninstall
by 4Denise / July 2, 2008 8:33 AM PDT

one or the other in safe mode. Let us know what happens. I'm sure this can be fixed.

P.S. Try the simplest solution first, then move on to more complicated methods if that doesn't work.

Collapse -
Already tried Safe Mode
by cambrano1 / July 3, 2008 3:24 AM PDT

Before the avast scan I could start it in safe mode with networking after the avast scan I couldn't get it to log on at all, even safe mode. I tried all three safe modes and still getting the log on log off loop.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.