Computer Help

General discussion

Computer Won't Go Into Standby Anymore

by rdwngsfn / October 11, 2005 10:06 AM PDT

Is there someway that I can make it go into standby once again? I have Windows XP. I am not sure what other information you would need. So if you need something specific just let me know and I will try to find it for you.

Thanks so much
RdWngsFn

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Won't Go Into Standby Anymore
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Won't Go Into Standby Anymore
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Rdwngs, You Didn't Tell Us What You've Checked...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 11, 2005 10:55 AM PDT

Have you checked to make sure the settings for Standby are still correct? Open the Control Panel, then the "Display" icon, then click on the "ScreenSaver" tab, then click on the "Power" button. Is the "Standby" selection set to a specific time or does it say "Never". Either way, try changing the time period designated, then click on Apply, then OK.

Have you changed the BIOS settings recently which may have disable the power options for Standby?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Sorry but that didn't work
by rdwngsfn / October 12, 2005 1:37 AM PDT

This is for my Mom's computer. We went in and tried what you recommended. She doesn't even have the stanby option on there. She doesn't even have the hibernate tab next to Advanced. Is there something else I can try?

She hasn't updated any BIOS. She doesn't know how.

Thanks so much,
RdWngsFn

Collapse -
Device Driver?
by smort / October 12, 2005 3:52 AM PDT

I'm currently having the same problem with my PC (Windows XP). While I haven't fixed the problem, I believe it has to do with a device driver.

I'm not technically inclined, so perhaps someone could elaborate on the possibilities of Not Hybernating / Driver issues.

Collapse -
I have similiar problem
by hrwang / November 7, 2005 8:56 AM PST

I guess it kind of related to USB devices. I just lost standby option recently. The standby button is dark and not functional in one day. Restarting didn't solve the problem. The only thing I think that may be wrong before I found this is that I was trying to disconnect a flash drive, and the windows told me it couldn't be disconnected, I lost my patience and plug it regardless of this messenge.

My wife's computer also lost standby some day with unknown reasons. She didn't know much of the computers and she didn't play with devices and configurations either. The only devices are USB devices like MP3, camera....., so, I suppose it is the same USB port reason that she lost standby. But I have no idea how to fix it.

Any help? Or if there is some way just reinstall some system files without loosing the program files in WinXP? I remember when I Win98 has the problem, I will simply reinstall it by overwrite the old one, and most time the problem is fixed and I didn't loose my program files. But I don't know how to do it in XP.

Collapse -
Standby Problem XP a possible FedEx Ship Manager Problem
by PCPITA / April 26, 2010 2:58 AM PDT

You do not have to update any drivers nor to defragment your hard disc the problems why your PC does not went into standby modus or not into hibernation modus is that there are programs still running even they are not in use and they keep your system from setting into standby.

Mine was the FEDEX Ship Manager that is running if the program is not in use

Solution:

start->run->msconfic-> click on Services and check if the new program you have installed is still running.

Stop that program and restart your Computer.

If you install lately the FEDEX Ship Manager you alway have to enter following command after closing the FedEx Ship Manager Program:

start->run-> then enter:

fedexsvcmanager /see

click OK and XP went regular into standby modus.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.