Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Computer won't download/install programs

by gemzini / August 19, 2009 12:12 AM PDT

Hi

I am having a problem downloading (or maybe installing) programs from the internet. This started a few days ago although I don?t know what caused it as I?ve not been doing anything differently or out of the ordinary.

Basically, whenever I try to download anything (eg MSN, google earth, etc), I can get to the stage where I click ?run? and then NOTHING! I am using Windows Vista (with administrator status). I only installed the vista updates a few weeks ago so I am fairly sure I am running the most up to date version. In order to try and fix this, I have done the following, but its not fixed it:
Run Malwarebytes
AVG
Run disk check
Defragmented the drive
Deleted internet history (including cookies)

Any ideas? I will be so so grateful!!!

Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer won't download/install programs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer won't download/install programs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just To Be Clear...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 19, 2009 12:22 AM PDT

You've downloaded the Google Earth installer file to your computer desktop or some other folder.. Once it's there, you double click on the installer file and it won't run. Is that correct?

Or when you attempt to download the Google Earth insaller file to your computer, it doesn't make it to your desktop or folder?

Or are you performing the online installation of Google Earth while connected to the internet and it doesn't work?

Which version of Internet Explorer do you have installed? (Open IE, then click on "Help" in the upper left, choose "About Internet Explorer".)

Since both MSN and Google Earth have "online" installations, have you tried installing other programs? For example, if you don't already have the Firefox browser installed on your computer, can you download the Firefox installer from the link below to your desktop? Once there, can you double click the file and does the program install.. (You might want to try installing Firefox and see if you can then install Google Earth from Firefox instead of Internet Explorer.) If Firefox installs correctly, you can always uninstall it if you don't like the secondary browser.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/personal.html

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
hopefully more clear
by gemzini / August 19, 2009 12:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Just To Be Clear...

Thanks for the reply, to answer the questions:

1. Google Earth (and everything else) do not seem to download anywhere (I've checked all the folders I can think of, and the desktop - Obv Happy ) so there are no installer files. When trying to download, the furtherest I can get is to click run. I hope this makes sense?

2. By online installations, do you mean downloading the program from the internet to be saved on the computer(because this is what I mean) or like when you run a program on the internet (eg youtube videos) (as this doesn't seem to be a problem)

3. I have IE8 installed (I've had it for months, its not newly installed)

4. I've tried to download Firefox but as I am trying to download it from the internet, I'm running into the same problem!

I hope I've made sense...

Collapse -
Others Are Having Such Problems With IE8... Please Try
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 19, 2009 6:38 AM PDT
In reply to: hopefully more clear

...Uninstall Internet Explorer 8 by opening the Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs, then find the Windows Internet Explorer 8 listing and "Remove" it.. After restarting the computer, it should revert to IE7 and your problems should be cured.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
uninstaling internet explorer 8
by gemzini / August 21, 2009 6:12 PM PDT

Hi Grif

I tried to do this but there is no option to remove the internet explorer in the add/remove programs list. Is there anywhere else it may be?

Thanks

Collapse -
It Should Be Listed Under...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 22, 2009 5:11 AM PDT

the normal location for Vista.. To uninstall Internet Explorer 8 in Vista, go to Control Panel (Classic View), and click on the "Programs and Features" icon. Then on "Tasks" pane on the left, click on "View installed updates" link. Locate and select "Windows Internet Explorer 8" in the list of installed updates, and then click on "Uninstall" button. Click on Yes when asked that are you sure want to uninstall the update.

And if tje IE8 uninstaller isn't there, then you should be able to uninstall it by following the instructions in the link below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
IE8/IE7
by gemzini / August 23, 2009 3:38 AM PDT

Hi,

I've done this, hasn't solved the problem :-(. but thanks for all your help, if you have any other ideas, please, send them my way!

Collapse -
Possibly related
by jeff_windows_team / August 19, 2009 2:48 AM PDT

Do you have the latest service packs for your OS (what is it btw?) or have you recently restored your OS?

Collapse -
by gemzini / August 19, 2009 9:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Possibly related

I'm using windows vista (if thats what you mean, sorry, I'm not much of a techie!). I run the last windows update about 2-3 weeks ago so I think its all up to date. I havn't done a system restore as it will only allow me to go back to the weekend, and this problem started a few days before that. Hope this answers the question! Thanks

Collapse -
have you shut IE off before the download completes?
by d_adams / August 23, 2009 3:17 AM PDT

I've only ever had this problem twice. Both times, I attribute it to the fact that I closed the IE window before the download was done and I'd clicked "run". In both cases, I went back to the download site, started the download, left the IE window open, and (when it was done) clicked run. It worked fine, then.

Collapse -
by gemzini / August 23, 2009 3:41 AM PDT

Hi,

I always leave it open as I download things, so its not that I'm afraid. But thanks for your help!

G

Collapse -
can't download and run programs
by bpkaiser / March 24, 2010 4:06 AM PDT

I was just wondering if you ever found out why you can't run programs. I to have the same problem. I click to download something, then click run and nothing, like nothing happens after that, so I can never install something I am trying to download. I also cannot open up attachments in my email. I saw that you downloaded AVG. I am wondering if there is a problem with that as I to had downloaded it , then decided to uninstall it, ever since have had the problems with running stuff. Just curious if you ever found a cure maybe you can share, this is so annoying!

Collapse -
Please help!
by XxKristineXx / May 31, 2011 2:45 PM PDT

I know this forum is old, but it seems I am having the same problem. Did you ever find an answer?

Collapse -
And You've Tried The Suggestions Mentioned In The Thread?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 1, 2011 4:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Please help!

On a separate computer, download the Firefox browser and see if it helps. Unfortunately, you've given us NO information about your computer or the things you've tried to fix the issue.. Operating system? Make and model of computer? etc.

And because malware can cause such problems, download the free Malwarebytes programs and it's manual updater from the links below:

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Malwarebytes Manual Updater link
http://data.mbamupdates.com/tools/mbam-rules.exe

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Yes, I've tried the suggestions above.
by XxKristineXx / June 1, 2011 8:15 AM PDT

I have a Windows Vista laptop. I recently wiped everything off my laptop and returned it to factory settings about a week ago. I am now having problems downloading programs from the internet. I tried restoring my laptop and it didn't solve the problem. I have also tried downloading MalwareBytes software, but unfortunately, I cannot download some things from the internet. My laptop allows me to download internet browsers and iTunes, things like that... But not much else.
I ran three computer scans with Norton and nothing was found.

Collapse -
Please Try Reinstalling All Drivers From...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 3, 2011 6:26 AM PDT

...the computer manufacturer's website.. Once that's done, because Norton frequently causes such issues, try temporarily uninstalling Norton, or at least disable its realtime scanner, to see if you can use your browsers and download things of your choice.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I uninstalled Norton.
by XxKristineXx / June 6, 2011 5:37 PM PDT

Sadly, uninstalling Norton did not work. It seems no one can fix this problem. :/

Collapse -
As A Last Resort Here..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 7, 2011 9:25 AM PDT
In reply to: I uninstalled Norton.

We use the recovery disc or recovery partition to reinstall everything from scratch.

Still, using a separate computer to download the drivers for your machine, should allow you to copy those drivers to a CD or flash drive, then transfer them to the problem computer.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.