Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer won't boot - no beep, no light, blank monitor

by Elrood / February 2, 2009 6:21 PM PST

Here are the symptoms when I boot up:

? The blue light on the front of the tower won?t turn on (it always used to).
? There is no beep or beeps at start-up.
? Everything seems to come to power. The CPU, the fans, the hard drive, etc?
? The hard drive, a few seconds after booting, gives one audible click, as if something inside was moving into place, but then everything sounds fine. I don?t know if that click has always been there or not.
? The monitor stays off (the power light is orange) and is black.
? With the power cord plugged in, the green LED power light on the motherboard is lit.

Here is the backstory:

? It all started when I went to boot my computer after adding RAM. After t he motherboard splash screen, it went to the black screen that said ?Disk Boot Error?
? I unplugged cables and re-sat the RAM, and then everything worked fine.
? Over the next couple weeks I got the Disk Boot Error a couple more times, each time fixed like the last time.
? When I awoke his morning, my computer had obviously restarted itself because it was on the Disk Boot Error screen. This time, nothing I have done has fixed it.
? Now, my computer won?t get that far. I get nothing on the monitor. The monitor doesn?t even power up.

Here are some possible causes:

? The very night my problems started, I added 2gb of RAM (two 1gb strips) that are compatible with my motherboard.
? Today, when looking around inside my computer with it turned on, I noticed that the 2 fans over the hard drive had failed. One was not spinning at all, and the other was spinning quite slowly.
? So I have two possible explanations: adding the RAM which directly led to my having these problems, or the fans breaking on the hard drive, and the hard drive overheated and crashed. Both are possible but totally unrelated.

Here is what I have tried:

? Clearing the CMOS on the motherboard.
? Reseating the RAM, plus trying it with only the old sticks or the new sticks.
? Unplugging virtually everything and reseating everything.
? Fearing a hard drive crash, I tried the ?freezer? technique to get it to boot to at least backup some files.
? Even though the problem seems like it could be the monitor or he video card, I don?t think so. The errors leading up to his had nothing to do with the monitor or video card.

Thank you much for your help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer won't boot - no beep, no light, blank monitor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer won't boot - no beep, no light, blank monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Either the power supply or . . .
by Coryphaeus / February 2, 2009 11:17 PM PST

the motherboard.

PS is easy to replace, I'd do it first. If no joy . . .

Collapse -
LED light
by Elrood / February 3, 2009 3:31 AM PST

If it is the motherboard, would the LED power light still be lit?

Collapse -
In some cases, yes.
by Coryphaeus / February 3, 2009 2:20 PM PST
In reply to: LED light

You'll need to go to the PCs web site and dig for the manual or FAQs involving the LED.

Collapse -
Static
by maddstyle / February 3, 2009 9:42 AM PST

Must've shocked the motherboard Sad

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.