Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

computer won't boot from XP disk after DBAN

by aglaonike / February 26, 2013 12:03 AM PST

I have an old Dell Inspiron 5100 that I want to donate to a local charity group. I used DBAN to wipe all of my old data, but now I can't seem to re-load the Windows XP that originally came with the computer. When I put the XP CD into the CD drive and turn on the computer, all I get is a message that says, "Operating System not found." I've set the BIOS to boot from a CD and I only have the 1 CD drive. I don't know what the problem could be. Thanks for your help with this!

aglaonike has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer won't boot from XP disk after DBAN
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer won't boot from XP disk after DBAN
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by aglaonike

Collapse -
Re: no boot from CD
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 26, 2013 12:22 AM PST

If it did boot from the DBAN disk, and it doesn't from the XP disk, while you didn't change the BIOS boot options in between, it's a bad disk. Burning a copy and using that might help.

Kees

Collapse -
partition problem?
by aglaonike / February 27, 2013 8:05 AM PST
In reply to: Re: no boot from CD

Thank you everyone for your help, but I'm still stuck.

I double-checked the BIOS settings and tried burning a copy of the disk, but it didn't help. I still can't boot from the XP disk. I can boot from the DBAN disk again though, so there's nothing wrong with CD drive. It would definitely seem that there is something wrong with my disk, though it doesn't look scratched and I've never used it before, so I don't know how it would be corrupted. I read somewhere else about people have issues with DBAN removing their partitions and/or partition table. Could that be the problem? And how could I fix it?

Thank you!

Collapse -
A Coprrect XP Installation Disk....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 28, 2013 8:36 AM PST
In reply to: partition problem?

.. is bootable, whether there are partitions on the hard drive or not, PLUS, during the installation process, it allows you to create new partitions on the computer after the hard drive has been wiped.. Therefore, with a good and usable XP operating system disk, the concerns you mentioned are nil.

Please confirm the XP disk you have is the one that came with this computer and you've actually got the XP install disk... The older Dells came with two or three different recovery discs.. One is the "Resource/Driver CD" which contains ONLY the drivers.. It's NOT bootable.. One is the bootable XP installation CD which contains ONLY the operating system but sometimes extra programs that were installed at the factory ... and occasionally, there is a third which contains the extra programs that were installed at the factory because they weren't contained on the XP installation CD.

If you're sure you've got the original XP installation disc, you might try it on another computer to see if it will actually boot the computer.. If it does work on another computer, then you'll need to replace your CD/DVD drive.. (Yes, I know that DBAN works on it but some drives start failing a little at a time.. This may be the time.) Of course, if it doesn't work on another computer, then you'll need to contact Dell for a new installation disk.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
New XP installation disk worked
by aglaonike / March 6, 2013 12:58 AM PST

You guys were right. Turns out the disk was the problem the whole time.

It wouldn't boot in another computer either, so I called Dell and got a replacement XP installation disk for $20. It worked on the first try, so I'm gonna say it was worth the money.

Thank you all for your help!

Collapse -
Answer
Either the CD is damaged or you're not booting it
by wpgwpg / February 26, 2013 12:27 AM PST

My best guess would be that somehow you're not booting from the CD. Usually there's a key (e.g. F12) you can press to select which device you're going to boot from. This menu would appear a few seconds after you turn the power on. On the computers I've worked with it's usually F12, but that can vary with make and model. The other thing to check would be to make sure the XP install disc you're using is bootable and hasn't gotten scratched or gotten dirty causing unreadable spots. I'd put it in another computer and make sure I could boot from it.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
Re-verify
by Willy / February 26, 2013 4:53 AM PST

Make sure that if nothing has been changed in the bios. Check there that the CD is the 1st boot device, change if not and save upon exiting the bios. If your Dell PC provides doing boot-up what device to boot from, use that to select the CD drive. If it still doesn't work, then consider the CD drive is bad or the XP disc itself is bad. Robert, suggested you make another one, try that. If after all is said and done nothing seems to work, then place disc with Dell PC(it will work with that PC, anyways) and just give the PC to charity. However, that option is up to you providing whatever disc came with the PC. Of course, you can "temporary" use another CD drive(spare or another PC) for the time being of loading the OS and see if that helps, then remove it after is reloaded. Hope this helps along with all other posts.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.