Computer Help forum

Alert

Computer won't boot

by Natusuki / March 26, 2013 11:25 AM PDT

Today I opened my computer and it work fine but when I logged it, it froze so I forced it to shut down. I powered it back on and it stopped and give me 2 options, to repair it or to start windows normally. I chose the repair option and it gave me this error. The error code is 0xc000000f. Then I chose the other option and it restarted my computer. Can anyone help me nothing is working for me and I don't have the installation disc. Any help would be grateful Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer won't boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer won't boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Computer info
by Natusuki / March 26, 2013 11:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Computer won't boot

And my computer is a windows 7 pavilion p6240y Destop computer

Collapse -
A Couple Of Options...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 26, 2013 12:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Computer info

I don't see a p6240y at the HP site, but there are a few different p6240 versions.. The information below should still be the same.

First, try starting the computer into Safe Mode.. Unplug all USB devices from the computer except the mouse and keyboard, then restart the computer and immediately start pressing the F8 key, once per second, till a selection screen loads. At the selection screen, use the up/down arrow keys to choose "Last Know Good Configuration", then press the "Enter" key. Follow the prompts and allow the computer to restart and go back to a time when things were good.

If you are unable to boot into Safe Mode, then you have few options since you don't have the installation disc.. Luckily, HP has a hidden partition which should allow you to format the drive and reinstall everything back to factory condition.. It will delete all data from the hard drive so hopefully you have backups of your important files.

When you're ready to perform the HP System Recovery, unplug all USB devices except the mouse and keyboard, then restart the computer and immediately start pressing the F11 key, once per second, till the Recovery Manager loads.. Select "System Recovery" from the various options listed, then follow the prompts.. See the instructions under "System Recovery from the startup screen", in HP's instructions below:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01867418&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=4006089

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Any other options
by Natusuki / March 27, 2013 9:18 AM PDT
In reply to: A Couple Of Options...

I tried the F11 options it's not showing up when I press it. It just goes to the same screen. Any ther solutions? My imputed is a p6204 not 6240

Collapse -
The Same Recovery Instructions Apply To the p6204y
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 27, 2013 12:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Any other options

If you can't access the System Recovery partition, and you can't get the system repair disc to work, then it's probable the hard drive has failed.. As such, you'll need to contact HP and have them send you the Recovery discs.. They aren't extremely expensive and you'll need them to attempt to install the OS on the current hard drive.. If they don't install, then you'll need to purchase a new hard drive, remove the old, then install the new in the computer, then use the recovery discs to reinstall everything back to factory condition.

The System Repair Disc must be made on a Windows 7 computer and in most cases, it must be made on the computer where you've now got a problem.. It should be made BEFORE there are problems. If you can't create the repair disc, you'll certainly need those recovery discs from the factory, especially if the hard drive is toast.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Did you make a repair CD?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2013 9:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
Repair Cd
by Natusuki / March 27, 2013 9:56 AM PDT

Ok I'm on another computer and I'm trying to create a system repair disc. It gave me a error saying the device reported unexpected or invalid data for a command. 0x0AA02FF. Any help?

Collapse -
Then google this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2013 3:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Repair Cd

Where can I download a Windows 7 repair CD?

Collapse -
Almost fixed?
by Natusuki / March 28, 2013 7:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Then google this.

Ok so the cd got me to the log in screen. When it opened up it said...
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime library
Runtime error!
Program: C:\Windows.old\Windows\system32\nvvsvc
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contract the applications support team for more information.
I pressed ok and I logged on. It was preparing for desktop and when I got to the screen. It was black but u could see the mouse. Any idea what this error means?

Collapse -
It means the OS took some damage. Try this .
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2013 7:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Almost fixed?

Try SFC SCANNOW to repair such. Google SFC SCANNOW to learn how to use that.

I don't have much to work with but this sort of damage is sadly typical. At the shop we give the client an option to try to repair or a fixed price to backup their files or just install a new HDD, the OS and hand back their HDD in some USB case.

What do you think Microsoft should do about this issue? Isn't it time for them to really create a feature that would install the OS and leave the user's files standing?
BOb

Collapse -
PS. Other boot options.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2013 8:00 AM PDT

Rather than a normal boot I usually try safe mode and if that fails I head to the boot to the command prompt. There are many articles about such boots.
Bob

Collapse -
Command prompt not working
by Natusuki / March 28, 2013 8:33 AM PDT

I chose safe mode command prompt and when I went to the log in screen, the error was gone. I logged on and the screen stayed back no command prompt showing. There is the words safe mode around the screen. That's all

Collapse -
Trying
by Natusuki / March 28, 2013 8:35 AM PDT

Going to try the safe mode only boot

Collapse -
If all modes fail,
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2013 8:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Trying
Collapse -
Question
by Natusuki / March 28, 2013 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: If all modes fail,

How can I find out if it's 32 or 64 bit since I can't access the computer

Collapse -
(NT) HP site says Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2013 8:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Question
Collapse -
???
by Natusuki / March 28, 2013 9:31 AM PDT

I got the 64 bit cd but when I go to command prompt and type in Sfc/scannow all hhe letters are ?s Any idea? I appreciate your help

Collapse -
That could be a clue of a hardware failure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2013 11:04 AM PDT
In reply to: ???

Remember I only have the clues so far but if the letters turned to all question marks that's a sign of a hardware issue or possibly another odd infection.

-> Let me be clear that at the shop we would salvage the user's files and reload the OS by now.
Bob

Collapse -
Soo
by Natusuki / March 28, 2013 11:47 AM PDT

Soo I can't do anything ATM but to take it to a shop?

Collapse -
Would..
by Natusuki / March 28, 2013 11:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Soo

A image or a video of what's going on help?

Collapse -
Well you could try to boot a live CD?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2013 1:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Would..

There are many to choose from today. This test is one I do to see if the hardware is still OK. Then we discuss with the owner if they are ready to reload the OS.
Bob

Collapse -
Live Cd?
by Natusuki / March 29, 2013 4:06 AM PDT

What do you mean a live CD? Is it the reapir one?

Collapse -
There are a lot of
by itsdigger / March 29, 2013 5:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Live Cd?
Collapse -
Not really.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2013 5:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Live Cd?

While there are repair CDs which focus or repair, LiveCDs (and USB natch) focus on using the PC with a blown OS.

Here's another list.
http://livecdlist.com/

Bob

Collapse -
I don't..
by Natusuki / March 29, 2013 7:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Not really.

have access to download atm so i download window vista to my computer. I can boot both 7 and vista. But I can't get internet connect on vista for some reason. Trying to downlaod the live CD. I also tried this wireless usb adapter. The modle is DWA-131 Wireless N Nano USB Adapter but during the wizard setup it requires me to plug the adapter into the computer to allow me to finsih the setup. WHen i plug it in, it shows a sign that the computer is reading it but the setup says that i didn't plug it in and they cant find it.

Collapse -
Which is expected.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2013 8:18 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't..

Windows alone fails to install drivers and more. And again, true that you won't get internet connections on this PC without those drivers. That's why you plan ahead with recovery media, driver CDs and using other PCs to download the drivers.

You bring up a good issue. Do you feel Microsoft should have corrected this by now?
That is, even in Windows 8, the driver hunt and safari game is still played.
Bob

Collapse -
I see
by Natusuki / March 29, 2013 8:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Which is expected.

Mircrosoft should really correct this. So many problems. Well thanks for helping me all the way.I'll download the Live CD when i have access to download it. I'll update when i try the CD.

Collapse -
Question
by Natusuki / March 29, 2013 8:44 AM PDT
In reply to: I see

Would factory restore fix my problem? I know that it will erase all the data so when i start the computer after the factory restore, would it open up like a completely new computer? Also, would i need to havee a key to active Windows 7 Home Premiure?

Collapse -
Factory restore would usually
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2013 8:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Question

Make it just like it arrived without your files. We use those LiveCDs to boot and copy out the files folk forgot.
Bob

Collapse -
Factory Restore..
by Natusuki / March 29, 2013 9:31 AM PDT

So Factory Restore just solved all my problems? I could backup all my important files to a usb or a cd. But how do i start this? F11 wont work for me and I also can't do it from windows 7's start menu and its not there in vistas. Any ideas?

Collapse -
That's why
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2013 9:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Factory Restore..

That's why most machines have restore media. When the onboard restore fails we use the restore media that we either created when we got the machine, came with (very few do anymore) or order for our PC.

Some folk feel entitled to such media and I can't help those that feel that way. Around here it's about 35 bucks if the owner didn't make their own.

Will it solve all issues? Won't know till it's done.

Need a solid guaranty that it will be fixed? That's what service counters provide for their price.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.