Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer will not run avg virus software

by FshrKing / December 16, 2008 3:41 AM PST

Hi, for some reason today when I went online, I received a message "insecure internet activity, threat of virus attack.'
1. Click here to get full advance real time protection and continue browsing.
2. Continue to the website unprotected (not recommend)

I clicked on 1 and it took me to the site safe soft to purchase perfect defender 2009. I don't understand this, because I thought window updates are free.

I than went to click on my free avg software update and it wouldn't update. I got a message to go to avg.com to update, however when I tried to go to the site, the site would time-out, page not found. i can get the avg software to just run a computer scan, but it will not update the anti virus software, anti spyware and update manager.

I went to the control panel and took a look at my security and the firewall is on and automatic updates are on.
Virus protection is in red and 'states it out of date.'
Clicked on it and nothing happen just gave me additional information about software

Help please

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer will not run avg virus software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer will not run avg virus software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Pls. try the following......
by Marianna Schmudlach / December 16, 2008 5:52 AM PST

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malwareand save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2

* Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
* Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
* When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
* When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
o Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
o Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
* Then click Finish.

MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.

* If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
* Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
* If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates,
manually download them from here
and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer,
copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes'
Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.

On the Scanner tab:

* Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
* Then click on the Scan button.
* If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
* The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top.
It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
* When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully.
Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
* Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.

Back at the main Scanner screen:

* Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
* The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
* Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.

Note:-- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,
you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process.
Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately.
Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Collapse -
page not found
by FshrKing / December 16, 2008 7:44 AM PST

Hi, can't get to the website. Page not found

Collapse -
Please use a friend or family member's computer.....
by Marianna Schmudlach / December 16, 2008 8:21 AM PST
In reply to: page not found

and download the Malwarebytes tool and it's manual update from the link below.. Once downloaded, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "Your Name.exe", then copy the installer file and the update file to a CD or flash drive.. Transfer the file to the problem machine, then install the "Your Name.exe" file, then run the update to get the program current.. After that, run a full system scan and delete anything it finds.

Malwarebytes Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Malwarebytes Manual Updater link
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/database/mbam-rules.exe

Collapse -
Malware free or pay
by FshrKing / December 18, 2008 2:07 AM PST

Hi, I was able to get the program to go to the internet and go to the malware site for an update, however I couldn't get the program to delete my files. It said I have to pay before I can delete any files. Is this a free program or a pay first program. In order to register the program I have to pay for the program first. Is this correct?

Collapse -
MBAM FREE should remove infected items.......
by Marianna Schmudlach / December 18, 2008 2:53 AM PST
In reply to: Malware free or pay

... from your computer. The PAID version - according to their webpage -

Activating the full version unlocks realtime protection, scheduled scanning, and scheduled updating.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Collapse -
Thanks for the help
by FshrKing / December 20, 2008 3:07 AM PST

Hi, and thanks for all the help. I couldn't get malware to work for me for some reason, I kept getting the pay fist and than register. I somehow was able to get avast to work on the computer. It found the virus and I deleted them.
Now in my security controls, it looks like this firewall, automatic updates on, and virus protection on, avast.

The problem I have now is that when I turn on the computer, I have like three virus software menu pop-up's, "malware, and defender 2009. How do I get rid of these now. I deleted the defender 2009 icon, and looked for it in the add/remove panel, but it's not there. The malware is in the add/remove panel, however it will not let me remove it.

I also have avg

What do you recommend

Collapse -
As you are not able to download these tools on your computer
by Marianna Schmudlach / December 20, 2008 3:59 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for the help

...please use a friend's or family member's computer and download the Malwarebytes tool and it's manual update from the link below.. Once downloaded, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "Your Name.exe", then copy the installer file and the update file to a CD or flash drive.. Transfer the file to the problem machine, then install the "Your Name.exe" file, then run the update to get the program current.. After that, run a full system scan and delete anything it finds.

Malwarebytes Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Malwarebytes Manual Updater link
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/database/mbam-rules.exe

Also download:

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

SuperAntispyware Manual Updater
http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

It is NOT a good idea to have 2 Anti Virus Programs running at startup!

Collapse -
Downloaded Files, now should I keep or get rid of others
by FshrKing / December 20, 2008 11:22 PM PST

Ok, I was able to download the malware and the other software you recommended. I have the following anti-virus software on my computer currently: avg, and avast.
Should I close avg, and avast and use maleware and the other spyware that you recommended.

Collapse -
You have to decide........
by Marianna Schmudlach / December 21, 2008 12:45 AM PST

whether you want to stay with AVG OR Avast.ONLY ONE Anti Virus is recommended. As to the Anti malware programs, MBAM and SuperAntispyware, you can keep both, but keep them updated.

Did you run MalwareBytesAntiMalware? IF you are NOT able to RUN it, pls.
rename the mbam-setup.exe installer !

What did MBAM find?

Did you also run SuperAntiSpyware? What did it find IF anything?

Collapse -
Malware Find
by FshrKing / December 26, 2008 3:25 PM PST

Hi, and sorry about the the long delay. But here's what malware found:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.31
Database version: 1554
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

12/27/2008 1:14:41 AM
mbam-log-2008-12-27 (01-14-41).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 65228
Time elapsed: 7 minute(s), 44 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 18
Registry Values Infected: 2
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 11
Files Infected: 10

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{2e9937fc-cf2f-4f56-af54-5a6a3dd375cc} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{741de825-a6f0-4497-9aa6-8023cf9b0fff} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{147a976f-eee1-4377-8ea7-4716e4cdd239} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{9522b3fb-7a2b-4646-8af6-36e7f593073c} (Adware.Coupons) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{549b5ca7-4a86-11d7-a4df-000874180bb3} (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{1d4db7d2-6ec9-47a3-bd87-1e41684e07bb} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{56256a51-b582-467e-b8d4-7786eda79ae0} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{56256a51-b582-467e-b8d4-7786eda79ae0} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{549b5ca7-4a86-11d7-a4df-000874180bb3} (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\tdssdata (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\tdss (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MyWebSearch (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Schemes\f3pss (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Fun Web Products (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MyWebSearch (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\FocusInteractive (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Fun Web Products (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Solt Lake Software (Rogue.ProAntispyware2009) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\svchost.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt\&Search\ (Adware.Hotbar) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\History (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\Settings (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\FunWebProducts (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\FunWebProducts\ScreenSaver (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\FunWebProducts\ScreenSaver\Images (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\FunWebProducts\Shared (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Perfect Defender 2009 (Rogue.PerfectDefender) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Solt Lake Software (Rogue.ProAntispyware2009) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Solt Lake Software\Pro Antispyware 2009 (Rogue.ProAntispyware2009) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\History\search2 (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\Settings\s_pid.dat (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\FunWebProducts\ScreenSaver\Images\005791C9.urr (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\FunWebProducts\ScreenSaver\Images\00596E78.urr (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\FunWebProducts\ScreenSaver\Images\005A7EFE.dat (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\FunWebProducts\ScreenSaver\Images\wrkparam.lst (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Perfect Defender 2009\pd.dll (Rogue.PerfectDefender) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\TDSS4164.tmp (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSfxwp.dll (Rootkit.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSStkdv.log (Trojan.TDSS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Collapse -
Great Job !
by Marianna Schmudlach / December 27, 2008 5:46 AM PST
In reply to: Malware Find

Seems to me, MBAM took care of all the nasties.

Did you also run SuperAntiSpyware (SAS) and came it up CLEAN too ?

How is your computer running now?

IF your computer is CLEAN:

Pls. download and install:

SpywareBlaster:

Why SpywareBlaster? Spyware, adware, browser hijackers, and dialers are some of the most annoying and pervasive threats on the Internet today. By simply browsing a web page, you could find your computer to be the brand-new host of one of these unwanted fiends!

Download: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Collapse -
Super Spyware
by FshrKing / December 27, 2008 11:31 PM PST
In reply to: Great Job !

Hi, and thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.
I ran the super spyware and it found like 150 files. I deleted them all.
Do you recommend running the super spyware and malware daily or weekly?

Collapse -
Super Spyware & Spyware Blaster
by FshrKing / December 28, 2008 12:35 AM PST

Ok, I ran super spyware and it found like 150 files. I then ran the spyware blaster. The computer is running much better and not sounding link a jet engine taking off. Thanks again for all the help!!!

Collapse -
Great Job !
by Marianna Schmudlach / December 28, 2008 12:40 AM PST

Yes, run at least MBAM and SAS once a week....... do NOT forget to update them as they update almost daily Wink

You Are Very Wlcome Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.