Computer Help

General discussion

COMPUTER WILL NOT BOOT UP (HOWEVER POWER IS ON)

by ronniehill--2008 / November 28, 2008 1:01 AM PST

Whenever I turn it on the computer has power but will not boot up. It has done it a couple of times whenever I place it on sleep mode at the end of the day. This time it refuses to boot up despite turning it on and off via the power button, of course the monitor is not coming on either due to this, so I don't have a clue of whats happening under the hood. I checked all connections leading to the hard drive, and the power supply and all fans are coming on. Its an old gateway desktop that I bought new in 2005. I know its ancient but I've maintained it very well. I use it for mid-range DX 9 gaming for my old titles. I bought a 500 gb hard drive to go with the 70 gb OEM drive that came with it about 6 mos. ago. Any help or trouble shoots will be greatly appreciated. The specs listed below are strictly from memory, but are very close to what I have. Thanks in advance.

Gateway 5310S Intel Pentium 4 2.9 ghz, 2.5 gb of ram, 250 MB 7600GT graphics card, 570 GB HD space, 350 watt OEM power supply. WINDOWS XP (HOME EDITION)service pack 3

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: COMPUTER WILL NOT BOOT UP (HOWEVER POWER IS ON)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: COMPUTER WILL NOT BOOT UP (HOWEVER POWER IS ON)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you are saying that it
by Sovereign Forum moderator / November 29, 2008 1:53 PM PST

turns on, the fans come on, and it sounds like it's booting, but there is nothing on the screen... could it be the video card? Does the computer "sound" like it's booting up?

~Sovereign

Collapse -
COMPUTER NOT BOOTING
by ronniehill--2008 / December 1, 2008 8:47 AM PST

The hard drive is not turning over. However, my son told me this morning that he fiddled with the wires on the back of the monitor and it came on. I came home at lunch and it was in standby, and I played a game online. I came home tonight and its right back to square one. I believe that the the video card is working fine but I'm keeping an open mind if you think you may know what the problem is.

Collapse -
reply to: COMPUTER NOT BOOTING
by caktus / December 1, 2008 10:12 AM PST
In reply to: COMPUTER NOT BOOTING

You say "fiddled with the wires on the back of the monitor and it came on."

Sounds like the monitor may be the problem. Can you try the monitor on a different computer for a while including some cold boots and restarts to see if this is the problem?

AFAIK on most, perhaps all systems, Hibernate and Stand-by are usually trouble makers resulting in the machine not coming back on when we least expect it. If the machine is not going to be in use for a while, say over night, may as well just shut it down and save 2-3 $ on the electric bill. Or just leave it on. If the monitor is a CRT it may be a good idea to turn it off while not in use as a CRT probably burns more juice than everything else put together.

Charlie

Collapse -
COMPUTER NOT BOOTING
by ronniehill--2008 / December 2, 2008 1:50 PM PST

I found out what the problem was. I have 512mb of memory (OEM) has either gone bad or were in the wrong slots. I removed them and kept the 2 gb of memory that I had upgraded to a couple of years ago. The computer is working fine and so far is not having trouble cold booting or coming off of standby mode. Why this chose to start acting up after 2 years is beyond me. A co-worker suggested that the addtional memory that I installed were probably not compatible with the OEM as far as both were made from different companies. You think that its worth it to replace the 512mb that I removed? Its an old computer and I don't even think that I can find DDR memory anymore. Thanks in advance.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.