Desktops

Resolved Question

Computer waking from 'Sleep Mode'

by Nominrath / November 27, 2012 3:52 AM PST

My PC has recently begun waking itself from sleep mode all on it's own.

I have checked all my devices in Device Manager and the only ones set to wake the computer from sleep are the mouse and keyboard.

I have checked the Task Scheduler and no scheduled tasks are set to wake the computer from sleep.

I have run the 'powercfg -last wake' command to see what is waking the PC, but the Wake Source comes up 0.

I have checked the event logs of Windows and can't find anything that's waking it up.

I am running a Alienware Aurora with a Intel i7 processor, 6 GB RAM with a ATI Radeon 6800 series GPU, a standard, run-of-the-mill keyboard and a Logitech M510 wireless mouse. I have an AZiO bluetooth adapter plugged in. The PC is also connected to a iOgear KVM switch. I run Windows 7 Home Premium with MSE and Ad-Aware for protection.

My PC setup hasn't changed in months and only recently has this problem cropped up, leading me to suspect a rogue program... but I haven't been able to locate it.

On a side note, my PC also sometimes has a problem restarting/shutting down while a USB flash drive or external HDD is plugged in. The PC will simply shut down Windows and hang on a black screen. The fans still run, the cooling system still runs and the power light is still on. The HDD light is not active, showing no activity suggesting that it is updating or involved in some other activity before it shuts down. It just sits there. Eventually, I have to shut it down manually using the power button.

Any insight you can provide to either problem would be much appreciated. Thank you!

A. Block

Nominrath has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer waking from 'Sleep Mode'
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer waking from 'Sleep Mode'
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by Nominrath

Collapse -
problem restarting/shutting down while a USB flash drive or
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2012 4:24 AM PST

That is a common issue with not specific cause. It can be a driver or malware or some bum app. It's usually expensive to figure out if you have to pay for support.

You claim nothing has changed but all the PCs with Windows I see automatically get updates from Microsoft and antivirus so can we stop thinking that nothing has changed?

Try this. Use Dell's latest drivers and BIOS for your PC. Do not install anything that is not for your PC and is not at the Dell site.

Be sure to scan with Grif's list at the next link.
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5099421

A recent post found the usual and fortunately they shared what was found.
Bob

Collapse -
Updates...
by Nominrath / November 27, 2012 10:34 AM PST

Yeah, it updates all the time... I meant generally. I know that programs are constantly changing and updating, etc. You're just arguing semantics with that statement.

Thanks for the advice though! I appreciate it.

Collapse -
Good that you see the changes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2012 11:17 PM PST
In reply to: Updates...

Let's hope you find something with those scans.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Not black and while, alot of grey
by Willy / November 27, 2012 10:03 PM PST

Wear&tear on a PC can be telling. As Robert stated, your PC has changed on that basis too. Even a minor power glitch will cause some reaction from your PC. It all depends on your area and household wiring, etc.. There is just too much out there to make it possible. To awake, a small action or electrical surge will cause this even if you turned it all OFF, persistent reawakening do happen until you get to the nitty-gritty of it. Also, USB devices when allowed to remain plugged-in are a power drain, minor but overall of the small power ckts. they're on as these are 5V and low amps, anything above that can cause issue. It may not happen imminently but over time degrade until it does. Sometimes that can fall on poor manufacturing, but again the whole picture has to viewed to include supplied OEM materials. Also, the opposite can happen it doesn't awake proper or at all, so it all comes into play for USB devices attached. Understand since ATX design was introduced, "logical ON/OFF" power is part of the start/shutdown sequence, so again electronics are part of the picture. Alas, bad drivers or s/w are known to cause improper shutdown as the OS doesn't handle it well. Pick your poison...

tada ------Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.