PC Hardware forum

Computer visuals upgrade help

by GriMachine / December 22, 2012 3:38 PM PST

Hi, i was wondering if anyone knew what i should upgrade in my computer to bring my FPS up in games. I understand graphics cards are a big part of the visual affects during game play. But, I'm not sure if i should go spend money on a brand new graphics card. i recently have been notified that if i install a new graphics card into a computer, that doesn't have a strong processor in it, the FPS i draw during game play will not go up or it will and stop short of its capabilities. The graphics card's abilities will be cut short because of the out of date processor. So can someone explain to me what i need to upgrade.

I have windows 7 32bit

motherboard: xfx nforce 750i sli

Processor: Intel core2 quad CPU Q8300 2.50GHz

RAM: 4.0GBs

GPU Nvidia GeForce GTX 275

What do i Upgrade?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer visuals upgrade help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer visuals upgrade help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by bob b / December 22, 2012 11:30 PM PST

Only you know what games your trying to play and what sort of fps your looking for.

Some of the newer games want serious cpu/gpu power and ram.

Gpu......you have a nice card....leave it alone.
Cpu......your a little light for some games but not bad.
Ram.....4GB....of which you might be able to access 2.5>3GB.....is a little light for some games.

I don't know what the budget is so.......
I'd think about a 64 bit OS.....just so I can access all the ram....... and moving the ram to 8GB.

If the budget is unlimited ...

Collapse -
reply upgrade
by GriMachine / December 23, 2012 3:57 AM PST
In reply to: Upgrade

OK, i guess that makes enough seance. The types of games I'm playing to be more specific are Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3, and World of Warcraft. i hope that helps

Collapse -
I like the advice so far.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2012 4:16 AM PST
In reply to: reply upgrade
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.