Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Computer Upgrade?

by GrantReeves / December 27, 2012 11:25 AM PST

I'm interested in upgrading my computer I got for christmas. The guy at the store said it was going to be perfect for gaming, but whn I tried to play a game, it said I had a "Bad Video Card Driver", so I updated my video graphics card and still same message. I guess my graphics card isn't good enough to cover the game. Any suggestions for a new graphics card? Preferably under $100?

GrantReeves has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Upgrade?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Upgrade?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by GrantReeves

Collapse -
See this PDF.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2012 4:07 AM PST
In reply to: Computer Upgrade?
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimc521/en/OM_EN/RP333A00.pdf

That's a SLIM LINE model with what is usually a non-standard motherboard and power supply. This is not a case I'd re-use.

I don't see what video card it has in yours but the usual 20 to 30 buck ATI 5450 1GB from newegg or other places is what I install to let it play games without changing the machine.
Bob
Collapse -
Thank you very much.
by GrantReeves / December 30, 2012 4:59 PM PST
In reply to: See this PDF.

I got this computer for christmas, and it didn't have a manual or anything. This PDF helps greatly

Collapse -
Answer
Best to tell us exactly what you have ...the PC Mfg/Series
by VAPCMD / December 27, 2012 11:30 AM PST
In reply to: Computer Upgrade?

and model number.

What graphics card did you try ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Computer specs:
by GrantReeves / December 28, 2012 3:22 AM PST

It is a dell computer with a 64-bit operating system with a Radeon X1300/X1550 Series graphics card. I've updated the card so it has the best software available for this card. I'm fairly new to computer specs and all that, so I don't know where to find the model #

Collapse -
Right-click COMPUTER,...
by wpgwpg / December 28, 2012 3:39 AM PST
In reply to: Computer specs:

...and click Properties; you'll see a whole lot of info including your computer's model and what processor you have.

Collapse -
Model/Processor Type
by GrantReeves / December 28, 2012 4:17 AM PST

My processor is an AMD 2.10 GHz (Apparently the type is unknown... But it's a 2 core) and model number is (Maybe) Dimension C521

Collapse -
Model number FIXED
by GrantReeves / December 28, 2012 8:10 AM PST
In reply to: Model/Processor Type

My actual model number(I found it on the bottom of my computer case) is CDNE. Hope this helps

Collapse -
Download, run .....Belarc, Everest Home 2.0,
by VAPCMD / December 28, 2012 8:39 AM PST
In reply to: Model number FIXED

PCWizard 2012, SI, etc., Any of these 'system ID' programs can help identify the mfg/series and model number of your PC. What you've offered maybe the Dell Service tag.

Have you looked on the back of the PC ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Found it
by GrantReeves / December 28, 2012 9:18 AM PST

My model number is CDNE it was on the back of the computer.

Collapse -
99% sure what you gave is a Service Tag number for your
by VAPCMD / December 28, 2012 11:41 AM PST
In reply to: Found it

Dell PC... but none of us trying to help know what series it is ,,,,Inspiron, Latitude, Optiplex, Precision, XPS, Alienware, etc., or what the model number is.

Without that info we're just guessing.

If you try the software suggested....maybe you'll find the info needed.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Model number
by GrantReeves / December 28, 2012 11:50 AM PST

Is there any specific place to find what you are asking for?

Collapse -
Places to look listed in order below
by VAPCMD / December 29, 2012 2:12 AM PST
In reply to: Model number

Have you looked all over the PC case ? The front, the sides, the back and the bottom ?

Have you looked at the documentation or discs that came with the PC ?

Have you tried the Dell support site ? http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19?c=us&s=dhs&cs=19&l=en

.... and last, have you downloaded and run any of the programs previously suggested ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
I believe this may be it.
by GrantReeves / December 30, 2012 3:59 AM PST

I found the actual model number. I think it's:Dimension C521.
Hopefully this is it. Is there anything else I can tell you?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.