Computer Help forum

General discussion

computer turns on but windows doesnt load!

by Oranje786 / April 16, 2007 2:34 AM PDT

Ive got a major problem,

my computer turns on does the memory testing, detects the drives etc but just after that it goes to a black screen and stops there the windows loading part does not appear..

and i cant even get into safe mode...

what can i do to resolve this (without formatting Sad )

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer turns on but windows doesnt load!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer turns on but windows doesnt load!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
system info ??
by billzhills / April 16, 2007 3:50 AM PDT

Also new software/updates installed before issue?

above will be needed by others to assist ....

For now try Recovery Consul "chkdsk"

Collapse -
by Oranje786 / April 16, 2007 9:30 AM PDT
In reply to: system info ??

there was an windows update installed as it shut down, then the following morning i woke up powered on the computer and windows didnt load

recovery console via windows xp installation cd? i tried c:\fixboot that didnt work

Collapse -
issue is not boot
by billzhills / April 16, 2007 10:53 PM PDT
In reply to: well

use chkdsk in recovery consul to repair Wnd file structure.

Or have you tried "Last known good Configuration" in the boot option menu? May not work as you have run an unnecessary command.

Again system specs ....
Do you have any P2P applications installed?

Collapse -
sys spec
by Oranje786 / April 17, 2007 12:12 AM PDT
In reply to: issue is not boot

yes i tried that, that didnt work

well its an

AMD 4400+ X2
2048 DDR3 RAM

what more do you need?

i have limewire installed as well bit torrent

but im sure the problem occured via the system update

Collapse -
Limewire + bit torrent = infection
by billzhills / April 17, 2007 6:53 AM PDT
In reply to: sys spec

Systems arriving at my shop displaying your symptoms or infections w/any P2P network is an automatic re-install. Attempts to solve your issue or the removal of spyware/virus have always failed.

Don't wish to leave you hanging.... but, been their and done that and I can only recommend a clean re-install.

Collapse -
by Oranje786 / April 18, 2007 9:27 AM PDT

i have two seperate drives, is it possible to install XP on the other drive which only contains files

Collapse -
Two drives/ re-install
by billzhills / April 18, 2007 10:24 PM PDT
In reply to: damn

If your 2nd drive has files and they are backed-up yes you can re-install to this drive, Provided .....

the drive is primary, active and set as 1st boot

If you do not mind losing your files .....

A re-install of windows will require a re-install of all MB drivers and applications. Sounds as if you are attempting to save some down loaded applications, which may or may not be legal. Won't work .... nor supported by myself or these forums.

Last response ... Good Luck

Collapse -
by Oranje786 / April 19, 2007 6:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Two drives/ re-install

well you see personally i think it was the windows update which screwed the system up why?..

well i had limewire/bittorrent for over a year without a problem then i installed a windows update then from there on this problem occured..

i am not saving any application, ive got 150GB worth of video footage from different countries i went....

Collapse -
w/o heat, only knowledge and some agreement on Securtiy
by billzhills / April 19, 2007 11:19 PM PDT
In reply to: no..

up-date creating issue.

Wish I knew more of programing to fully explain why. I am just a simple mechanic that knows how the computer hardware components and software work together.

Un-like Wnd 9x that attempts to hammer thur a software/hwd issue damaging the OS. XP will shut down that application, aka error report. Windows will also shut down on a hwd or software conflict that will cause damage to itself.

Yes the Security up-date is the trigger that is now preventing you from accessing Windows. All P2P network applications creates security issues. Now what conflict did the Security up-date and your P2P networks create causing this issue.

Maybe some one with greater knowledge on Windows and programing will join in for a better explanation as I am just a simple mechanic.

Also read CCB's post Here. Old but still relevant.

Collapse -
by Edward ODaniel / April 20, 2007 5:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Two drives/ re-install

Windows can be installed on ANY partition (does not have to be a primary even) on ANY drive recognized by the BIOS.

This is quite often done for many reasons, one of which is a parallel installation to use in trouble shooting or fixing another installation.

An installation NEVER requires that a drive already formatted with an appropriate files system needs to be re-formatted so existing files on a drive are not at risk (although it is always best to ensure they have been backed up if possible).

Collapse -
by billzhills / April 20, 2007 5:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Say WHAT?

Thanks, must of been sleeping that day.

True w/XP not needing the drive as primary nor formatted tho I've never been successful in getting XPs installer to partition an existing partition.

As the original poster wanted to use his 2nd drive for a Windows install. My inability to use Windows installer to re-partition and old DOS habits clouded my post.

Your better suggestion of a parallel installation never entered my mind.

Collapse -
by tomron / April 17, 2007 7:20 AM PDT

Check this LINK,scroll down to "How do I uninstall BitTorrent?"

Regarding limewire removal LINK

Collapse -
there is no problem in windows update
by hardik8581 / April 20, 2007 4:10 PM PDT

a problem in lime wire it installed java and java will brings viruses in pc

there in no problem in u torrent its perfact

lime wire is slow and u torrents is fast

Collapse -
Possible hardware problem
by Ray Harinec / April 16, 2007 8:21 AM PDT

where the hardware item's BIOS can get installed.

After trying Bill's suggesting try disconnecting a few items, one at a time.

Collapse -
It happened here:
by Chandaxi / April 20, 2007 1:24 PM PDT

could not be the same case, but when windows starts, it check all periferials and problem with one card or device not working properly could freeze it all. Here was my sound card, it just got dusty and i realize: windows freezed at the start sound not being able to play.

So, give it a try unplugging all stuff possible.

Just one of thousands possibilities.

Collapse -
I have that happen too.
by deserttaxguy / April 20, 2007 1:59 PM PDT

As you can see from the previous 15 posts, nobody knows anything except they think reinstalling windows helps.
I agree its happened to me because of windows updates, and I guess me and the first guy are the only two it happens too.

I have a gateway something with 1.5 Gb of ram and I don't have any games, chat, or funny business going on. All I can do is turn it of and on repeatedly and eventually (Thank God!) it starts.
You guys with all the ideas about changing things are missing the point. I dont think we even get to the Dos level commands. Its really dead as could be except the disk is running and you see a few flickers on your monitor.
The first time it took about two tries to restart to get going. The last time (3 wks or so ago) took about 10 times to try to get going before it did. I'd say it happened to me about 4 times over the last year.

Collapse -
You might try this before a reboot
by Jeff Lewis / April 20, 2007 3:27 PM PDT

I had a problem recently after a windows update, and after searching google for the error message I was getting, I found a suggestion to turn off the automatic update option in windows. Before I had done that, my system would display an svhost error on boot and was very slow after start up with nothing seeming to load properly. After turning off the auto update option, I then did manual update and things went back to being relatively normal. It seems that the problematic update had corrupted the windows installer, and switching off the auto updates and the manual install reset things.I wish I could find the webpage with the instructions for you, but here is a similar warning page:

Collapse -
Another Gateway with a dead screen?!
by rxmangriff / April 20, 2007 3:55 PM PDT

My Gateway (WinXP home, P4 2ghz, 1.5ram, 80gb hd, etc) likes to die on occasion too. Screen is just black/blank. I move the mouse or hit a key, nothing. The computer is running while this is happening. I have to hit the power button on the computer to shut it down then restart. The first time less than a year ago Gateway had me install 2 new power supplies (they sent 2 - the first one was dead). Warrantied then. That seemed to do the trick. Now it's doing it again. Sometimes it goes to chkdsk on reboot. I got a message during this that it was checking a disk. Vol serial number 4OD8-96A5, etc. I'm unable to find any info about this. Is this referring to the hard drive(I'm assuming)? Perhaps the power supply is not sufficient and needs to be replaced with a higher rated one? I happen to have a new spare 80gb HD laying around. Think this would help to replace the original which is 5 & 1/2 years old? No obvious HD symptoms such as noise. Perhaps it's my spouses poison fingers :-)?!

Collapse -
In reply to; I have that happen too.
by Moonlight Gambler / April 22, 2007 1:41 AM PDT

Have you had your power source checked?

Any loose cables, connections, etc. in the box?

Collapse -
by TJ136 / April 30, 2007 11:46 PM PDT

Everyone thinks it is something with windows but I just had this problem last night and now I cant get on unless im at school. I get the Sorry for the problem or whatnot. and cant get into anything. Last time this had happen it was a virus that the Avast didnt catch and I have limewire but I had that well over the time it took for it to do this. So im guessing it is a virus that is not catching.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2007 11:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Fixing?
Collapse -
recover files on drive
by sp8smate / April 20, 2007 4:59 PM PDT

You really have a couple of options here:
1. You could beg/borrow/steal a hard drive - load windows onto it and set up in your computer as master. Set old drive as Slave and copy all files you want onto new drive, then format the old drive and copy files back.
2. Find a download for one of the "Boot disks" that are floating around. There is "Ultimate Boot Disk" or "Ultimate Boot CD or UBCD as it is known" These are free downloads and have tools on them to recover disk partitions etc. A google search will show a download site near you. Cnet used to have a link but its gone now.
3. Go to the Microsoft website and learn about the Recovery Console. (

Collapse -
Thanks for the infor on recovery console.
by deserttaxguy / April 21, 2007 6:13 AM PDT
In reply to: recover files on drive

And the link to go directly to it. I'm keeping that handy for the next time my machine has a hard start.

Collapse -
Same problem yesterday, 4/20/2007!
by calvinwei / April 21, 2007 3:00 AM PDT

Windows would not load when computer was turned on.

I followed each of the directions listed on the black screen; nothing worked - kept going around in circles. Gateway support told me to insert the 'blue operations disk' and run a 'chkdsk.' After chkdsk completion, the black screen returned; however, this time when the 'Load Windows as normal' option was clicked, the system began to load Windows (a beautiful sound!).

All is well, but I am hesitant to turn off the computer now. I own a Gateway 500XL; so is this a Gateway or Microsoft issue?

Collapse -
Windows does not load!
by rickhernandez7 / April 21, 2007 4:33 AM PDT

The same thing happened to me 2 days ago! I was updating a program and the computer crashed! Because I had about the same problem before, first I used a boot floppy I made. It did not work. Then I used a back up disk, it did not work. After a couple of hours of trying, I used my Windows XP disk and downloaded boot up drivers, and it worked! I did not have to re load the whole CD (Windows XP). I just loaded enough info to repair Computer OS system and I was able to get into windows!

Collapse -
by Oranje786 / April 22, 2007 8:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows does not load!

how did you do that?

Collapse -
Try this...
by sathiyaraj.s / April 22, 2007 3:20 PM PDT

Have you solved your problem. If no try this. Diasble the SATA option in the BIOS setting...

Collapse -
windows does not load
by mariyajokes / April 23, 2007 11:26 PM PDT

Oranje did u try pressing F8 at the startup - that will take you into the windows startup options menu and you can try booting into safe mode. From there you can try fixing the problem or uninstalling some updates or use system Restore

Normally Reinstalling windows will NOT delete any of your documents
or files (unless you are using one of the quick recovery disks / CDs that came shipped with your computer coz these usually overwrite everything)but you certainly will have to reinstall device drivers and any programs that you may have previously installed.

Limewire or Bittorrent in itself are safe programs to use, however it is possible that one of the files you downloaded may have been infected and affected your system. Judging from experience - i would believe this is more of a MS update issue - as some of them often crash or create problems (which are usually resolved by using the Last Known Good Configuration option in the startup menu).

Recovery Console would also be your best bet - from where you can run chkdsk /p and sfc to see if some system files have been corrupted and need to be replaced with the correct versions.

Good luck and let us know how it went !!

Collapse -
by Oranje786 / April 24, 2007 9:47 AM PDT
In reply to: windows does not load

yeah i tried that but i cant even get into safe mode!!! it just starts to load but then just stops..

anyway ive given the computer to an expert hopefully he can fix it Happy

thanks anyway for all your replies

Collapse -
Re: Windows not loading
by FattiMa88 / May 8, 2012 3:51 AM PDT

Was so glad to find this forum and see that I am not the only one with this issue. Similarly, I also have P2P software on my computer. (Frostwire and IRC), but I had the same programs on a different computer and never had issues. I found the easiest shortcut to this problem is, as soon as your computer comes on, press F8 over and over until you see a screen with different options, and choose "last known good configuration". Now, after a while, this option stopped working for me, and I jad to choose "safe mode" and system restore, but, make sure you choose a restore point that does not have updates. Thats crucial. And I would also set a manual restore point (dont change any system settings or programs until after you set it) whenever you get it started, whether you do a system restore or just last known good configuration. I know this all because I have so many issues i've shortened this all to a 20 minute process, which I know is not good, and getting a new laptop here soon. And make sure you turn automatic updates off, if you didnt think you did, check it. But also, if you do a.restore I would still choose last known good configuration to be on the safe side. Hope this helps. I had to figure this all out the hard way. Sad

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.