Computer Help forum

Computer turns on, but doesn't show up on monitor

by Jacob122007 / February 24, 2012 2:00 PM PST

When computer turns on doesn't show up on monitor. switched cables, monitors and video card, this is a desktop.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer turns on, but doesn't show up on monitor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer turns on, but doesn't show up on monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Tell us more such as ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 24, 2012 2:49 PM PST

the make (Acer, Gateway, Dell, etc.) and the model and model number and the Operating System.

Also and very important you need to let us know if it EVER sent any signal to the monitor and if it did what happened immediately prior to not being able to see anything on the screen any longer.

Collapse -
by lf61891 / February 27, 2012 8:00 AM PST

Before you go get a new monitor make sure all of your videocard drivers are up to date

Collapse -
Now why would I get the ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 27, 2012 4:40 PM PST
In reply to: Monitor

original poster a new monitor or anything else for that matter?

If you meant the response for him please take the time to respond to the correct person as otherwise your suggestions don't make much sense and get overlooked.

Collapse -
by gmoney912 / February 12, 2013 6:04 AM PST
In reply to: Monitor

How would I get my drives updated in the computer will not show up on the monitor

Collapse -
If the screen is always blank, it's not drivers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2013 6:06 AM PST
In reply to: Computer

See Kees' response below.

Also, are you still trying to fix this a year later?

Collapse -
Clarification Request
by Willy / February 24, 2012 10:14 PM PST

Provide more details....

Next, it'll be better to swap monitor to another PC and see if it works. If it does then you know your PC is at fault. What else does your PC do when power is applied(remove side cover)? In many cases, it has been shown that replacing the PSU is a good idea even if not the cause because it rules it out as well.

tada -----Willy Happy

All Answers

Collapse -
(NT) Failing power supply?
by RCF_Rose / February 24, 2012 8:58 PM PST
Collapse -
Computer turns on, but doesn't show up on monitor
by baybreeze / February 26, 2012 4:37 AM PST

My father had this exact thing happen a couple months ago. It started out having problems coming out of sleep/hibernate mode. Then after a while nothing showed up on the monitor at all, even though the PC was on and running. Luckily I happened to have an extra brand new monitor laying around, so I gave it to him and hooked it up to his PC. This solved the problem. Once the new monitor was hooked up, no more problems whatsoever. So either his power cord was bad or the monitor itself went bad.

If you have another PC or laptop around, try hooking up your monitor and see if it works. If not, then something is probably wrong with the monitor. Or if you know someone with another monitor, try hooking one up to your PC and see if it works. Again, if it does work, then your monitor has a problem.

Collapse -
Depending on the symptoms ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 27, 2012 5:17 PM PST

you don't tell about, this can be an issue of:
- monitor
- cable
- videocard
- motherboard and components
- power supply

If you say it isn't cable, monitor, video card, it's motherboard (or the RAM, or the CPU) or the power supply. May be time to find a repair shop.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.