Desktops forum

General discussion

Computer turns off after booting, infected with autorun vir

by Supportneeded / January 28, 2013 5:26 PM PST

My computer is infected with autorun virus. after booting it shuts down on first windows screen. triedremoving plug and RAM, it worked but for short time. Tried to work on another computer , same thing happens therePlz help

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer turns off after booting, infected with autorun vir
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer turns off after booting, infected with autorun vir
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: virus
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 5:38 PM PST

If it's a virus indeed download some antivirus boot CD and see if that can fix it.

But it's not clear what you mean with:
- removing plug and RAM
- worked for a short time
- same thing happens on another computer
so it might be a totally different issue than a virus.

Collapse -
by Supportneeded / January 28, 2013 5:51 PM PST
In reply to: Re: virus

I removed the power plug and connected it again. Computer does not reboot immediately but after cutting out all power for some hours, it reboots but turns off on first program or task.
computer turns off agin and do not respond to ppwer button.
Tried to work on another computer with same pendrive and same thing happens with the other computer.
tried running a virus remover but back to same problem after some days.

Collapse -
Pen drive
by pgc3 / January 28, 2013 10:20 PM PST
In reply to: virus

So you are using the Pen drive/Flash drive...for what purpose on a different computer? Just from what you have said, which isn't much, it sounds to me as if the flash drive might be corrupted if you are seeing the same issue when you input to another system. More info MIGHT help, type etc...

Collapse -
Possible problem...
by Willy / January 28, 2013 11:58 PM PST
In reply to: virus

To begin with there are few details to work with. Afterall, we're not here to guess on even the basics of your PC. Don't know if this is a desktop or laptop, it matters.

Since, it so happens a flashdrive is involved, then check it by itself. It does no good to walk the flashdrive around if in fact its the source or malware or baddie. I suggest you get UBCD or Hiren's help discs. Burn both or either as a bootable disc and boot from it. It loads its own OS and allows some virus scanning once you direct it. Hiren's is more windoze related look and feel so it may seem familiar to you. You isolate any problem as you boot from separate source and can test. If it so happens the problem returns, then more likely you have power issues not some malware. I haven't see a virus attacking in such a matter before. If a autorun virus, you could maybe boot into safemode and check the msconfig status, look at "startup" files and see what's what. I also don't see what AV pgm. you're using but if it can boot by itself or check that it can, it could start upon boot-up and check status prior to any windoze loading. Do whatever correction and before rebooting see if you can scan the flashdrive as well. In fact, if you feel the flashdrive is the source of problem, leave it OUT entirely for days or weeks, get another one. if the problem doesn't return and then you mount problem flashdrive, then you know the real cause and zero-in on it.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Possible problem
by Supportneeded / January 29, 2013 4:18 PM PST
In reply to: Possible problem...

Thanx dear, the problem is coming from the pendrive as the other desktop were i tried to work on got the same problem. ie: after having worked on it, same symptoms appeared with the second pc. i tried the safe mode boot, but computer turns off on first window screen. after that i cannot power on the computer. power button does not respond at all.Once i could boot the compter by changing the option of virus into disable in cmos setup. it worked but not for long.
i got a siemens pentium II desktop pc, running windows xp. my files in pendrive have become shortcuts and cannot be accessed. is there any means of recovering these files in another computer.
it is the third pc with which i got the same problem.
Can a virus stop a computer from booting and disable the power?.
Yesterday i tried booting my computer, it started booting but alert sound from pc and it is dead again. could not power it again.
is there anything i can do to have a safe boot.
thanx for help !

Collapse -
Re: pendrive problem
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 29, 2013 4:49 PM PST
In reply to: Possible problem

Why continue using a pendrive with a virus on different PC's? That multiplies the problem.

Two things you can do:
1. Throw that pendrive away.
2. Boot into Linux in stead of Windows and format the pendrive, so it's totally empty.

Repairing your 3 contaminated PC's is a totally different story.

Collapse -
Bios issue, maybe?
by Willy / January 29, 2013 8:54 PM PST
In reply to: Possible problem

The only virus that can do this or similar is the "Chernobyl virus" or similar baddie. This attacks the bios which is at a low-level of operation -OR- before but within early OS booting continues and finishes the boot-up. Basically, you can try to reset the bios and see if that helps, use the CMOS clearing pins/pads. Quite frankly, we know now that the flashdrive is kaput and attaching to another PC will only infect it. A flashdrive isn't worth saving if it causes that much trouble.

This is what I think it is, but it maybe another virus. Since, it attacks so fast you need some AV pgm. running in order to even get to a point to try to remove it. Since, you can't even do that, it can only get worse until you actually know the name of the virus and google for whatever action is known to remove it. Which is why I often recommend using some Linux bootable help disc. These are UBCD or Hiren's which once burned from the .ISO file are bootable and you select the 1st boot device as the CD drive. That way, you have a working disc which the virus can't attach itself(hopefully) and it runs under Linux not the windoze OS to isolate it further. You have to play with pgms. after finding the AV section and run a scan, etc..

I just wouldn't trust the flashdrive no matter how important the files. Which becomes another reason to save files to a disc(CD). I would smash the flashdrive with a hammer to not tempt you at a later date or be confused if its the one or not that's bad. You've been warned. Sad

There is a forum for virus and such, check there as well:

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.