Samsung forum

General discussion

Computer to TV wireless- no sound through home receiver

by tlaura21 / January 29, 2010 12:27 AM PST

I recently purchased a Samsung Lan for my Samsung LED 8000series TV for wireless movie downloading. I receive the picture great but the sound is only transmitted through my TV speakers and not my home receiver. How can I hook it up to receive the sound through my Onkyo receiver TX-NR807.
My hook-up now consists of a Directv receiver wired with HDMI to my home receiver, DVd player wired with HDMI to my home receiver and then only one HDMI coming from my HDMI out on my home receiver to my TV. Thanks for any help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer to TV wireless- no sound through home receiver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer to TV wireless- no sound through home receiver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Audio connection
by _jr_ / January 29, 2010 4:00 AM PST

Connect OPT OUT on the TV to OPT IN on the HT via an optical audio cable.

CBL (DVD) => HDMI => HT => HDMI => TV
+
PC >>>> Wireless LAN >>>> TV => OPT => HT

_jr_

Collapse -
Computer To TV- No Audio
by tlaura21 / January 31, 2010 5:21 AM PST
In reply to: Audio connection

Thank you so much. That did the trick.

Collapse -
DLNA connection vs. 5.1/7.1 sound
by ber31inger / November 29, 2010 3:32 AM PST

Hi guys,
just wondering whether you can help me
I have an UE46C6900 LED TV which is linked with my PC via ethernet cable and using DLNA
I am planning to buy an AV receiver HW-C700
My question is...if I select a movie (.mkv) using DLNA from my PC which has a DTS-HD sound...will it work if my TV will be linked to the AV receiver via optical calbe? Will I hear a 7.1 sound from the speakers? I understand the sound is downgraded to 2ch if using HDMI from Blu-Ray, DVD etc which are connected to the TV...but will the TV downgrade the sound to 2 ch if I am using ethernet (DLNA) or USB? Will the sound be downgraded to 2-channel in the optical out if I have my TV linked with my PC via ethernet? (DNLA/AllShare)? Or it will bypass the 7.1 sound via the optical cable to my receiver?

Thank you in advance for your reply

"This is what I found in the maunal of the TV, but they do not mention DNLA (AllShare)
When a digital audio system is connected to the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) jack, decrease the volume
of both the TV and the system.
5.1 CH (channel) audio is available when the TV is connected to an external device supporting 5.1 CH.
When the receiver (home theatre) is set to on, you can hear sound output from the TV's optical jack. When the
TV is receiving a DTV signal, the TV will send 5.1 CH sound to the home theatre receiver. When the source is
a digital component such as a DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB (Set-Top-Box) satellite receiver and is
connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2 CH audio will be heard from the home theatre receiver. If you want to
hear 5.1 CH audio, connect the digital audio out jack from your DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB satellite
receiver directly to an amplifier or home theatre."

Collapse -
help please
by gregparrott / September 2, 2011 11:15 AM PDT

can you explain how to do that in easier terms, or step by step, I get sound from tv through reciever but when i go to apps ( netflix , you tube, etc ) no sound through the reciever...help please... using wireless router to tv

Collapse -
As simple as I can offer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2011 12:13 PM PDT
In reply to: help please

Connect the optical cable from the TV to the receiver.

Collapse -
I tried that ?
by gregparrott / September 3, 2011 12:09 AM PDT

i tried that ?? I guess I need simple directions on tv settings, Im using wifi for apps.. not sure how to connect the sound from tv to receiver when using apps, please help

Collapse -
While connecting seems easy here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2011 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: I tried that ?

If you need exact settings, call 1800SAMSUNG and have them walk you through it.

Maybe today's gear is too hard to setup?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.