Computer Help

Alert

Computer suffering random problems!

by hollasaurusrex / December 18, 2012 5:11 PM PST

Hello, I've built my computer rig maybe about 3 years ago and it currently is going through random problems.

1. During gaming, the computer will do a hard freeze with no sounds looping or anything like that and I am forced to hard shutdown.

2. Sometimes after said shutdown, I boot up my computer again and everything on the computer looks to be running okay (Video card fans, etc.) but an image won't be displayed as if my monitor isn't picking up any signal.

3. Sometimes while doing casual internet surfing and skyping simultaneously, my computer would freeze than after 2 seconds it would hiccup back to what I was doing.

Note: It shows the hard freeze symptom the most maybe once every 2 days. Not booting all the time once a week. Hiccup maybe once a month.

My friend thinks it could be the Motherboard, but wasn't exactly sure. Below are my specs

3 HDD's in raid5
OCZ Vertex SDD
Zotac Nvidia GTX460 graphics card
Intel Core I5 750@2.67Ghz
Corsair 850 W Power Supply
2x2GB Corsair XMS Ram
Huge Antec 1200 case with all fans running

So many symptoms!

Oh and I have tried reseating both the video card and ram and still lead to problems. Currently trying 1 stick of ram at a time and see what happens.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer suffering random problems!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer suffering random problems!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My initial thought
by Jimmy Greystone / December 18, 2012 10:58 PM PST

My initial thought would be heat buildup. You have 3 HDDs, SSD, and a 460 video card. That's a lot of heat, and given that proper air flow essentially requires a good understanding of fluid dynamics (the organic chemistry of engineering land), let's just say virtually everyone's setup is lacking in some way or another.

So the first quick test is to pull the cover of the unit and let it run like that for a few days to see if the symptoms change. If yes, get some compressed air and blow out all the dust bunnies, maybe look to add some additional fans to the case. If the symptoms don't change then you get to go through the process of elimination to figure out which component is faulty. My guess would be the video card. The thermal grease under the heatsink may well have long since dried up and lost the majority of its efficacy. However, the wise person would not get fixated on any one component, and make sure to methodically test EVERYTHING.

Collapse -
Another Moderator had same.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2012 1:33 AM PST

We went through a lot but in the end he tried other setups and went with what works.

This looks like a new system so if it's defective, get the maker to fix, replace or refund.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.