Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer stuck on the Starting Windows screen after update

by electraglide1808 / February 9, 2010 10:13 PM PST

After installing the latest set of Microsoft updates on my PC (running Windows 7 on a HP Media Center PC)I restart the computer and it hangs on the 'Starting Windows' screen.

The only way I can get out of this is to do a system recovery. This has happened twice now as I was unaware that it was the updates that had caused the problem.

The main updates it tries to install are:

*Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows 7 (KB978262)
*Security Update for Windows 7 (KB971468)
*Security Update for Windows 7 (KB975560)
*Security Update for Windows 7 (KB977165)
*Security Update for Windows 7 (KB978251)
*Update for Rights Management Services Client for Windows 7 (KB979099)
*Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - February 2010 (KB890830)

There are also 37 optional updates as well (which I can list if needed) - I assume that it tried to install everything.

Is anyone aware of any known problems with these update?

Your help is much appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer stuck on the Starting Windows screen after update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer stuck on the Starting Windows screen after update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Call this in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2010 10:37 PM PST

Windows 7, the machine is under warranty so there should be some one on one help for this one.

Yes it could be some third party protection software but since you have a warranty I'd at least try.
Bob

Collapse -
No warranty
by electraglide1808 / February 9, 2010 10:44 PM PST
In reply to: Call this in.

The machine is no longer under warranty - Windows 7 was installed from a disc.

Collapse -
MSFT is who you call next.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2010 10:54 PM PST
In reply to: No warranty

Windows Update issues used to be a no-charge item. Worth the call.

Again, if anyone hit the OS with a trojan or registry cleaner they'll tell you to start over.
Bob

Collapse -
by tomrlumsden / February 9, 2010 11:01 PM PST
In reply to: Call this in.

Reply to Bob:

I think the original post on this topic was precise, to the point, and wanting for an honest answer to the problem. Your response leads me to wonder if you really understand the premise of a 'site' to offer help to people who are having honest problems. I am sure there are a number of people, including myself, who are having this same problem and would like to have a professional approach to a question rather than an explanation such as yours stating an answer such as yours.

Collapse -
I hear you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2010 11:08 PM PST

I understand your point. Here's mine. Windows Update failures on MSFT's flag ship product is something they will respond to. It is likely they have the answer ready for those that call.

Why not take the best route to the answer?

All the members and moderators are volunteers. Pitch in where you think you can help.
Bob

Collapse -
by scarzy4 / February 10, 2010 12:05 AM PST

Identical issue to OP just happened to me today. I installed the same updates from MS and now the laptop freezes at starting windows. Any help to repair is appreciated.

Collapse -
additional info
by scarzy4 / February 10, 2010 12:11 AM PST

I should note I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit which was installed from disk on a Dell E1705 that is a couple years old. The computer has been running flawlessly since the clean install of Windows 7 about three months ago.

I tried safe mode and it seems to be hang after the classpnp.sys is loaded.

Collapse -
You want the good news or the bad because I got the answer
by Dr.Takeover / February 10, 2010 12:19 AM PST

Bad News:
Your computer was a drone which means someone has compromise your system and gain control over it without you knowing and can use your pc to attack others. How did it happened well you must have been using the internet to download....(fill in the blank with illegal download). But fear not I have an answer!

Good News:
The Win Update on Feb. 9 2010 killed it, but now the file that allowed the other person to use your pc was part of the boot up. So now your pc is stuck in a loop of boot, restart, boot, restart, ect. So now the fix!

The Fix:
You will need to uninstall the update KB977165 with Command Prompt in System recovery options it should start with c:\WINDOWS

type: CD $NtUninstallKB977165$\spuninst (enter)
type: BATCH spuninst.txt (enter)
type: exit (enter)

PC should restart and work, you will notice Windows Malicious Software pop up and say malicious software removed (aka the evil file). Then you can install the update KB977165. This problem only happens to drone pc. You are now drone free, stay away from illegal download activities.

XP users follow this link:
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/901672-windows-xp-fails-boot-up.html
amir1972 has the answer!

Collapse -
Could not find path specified
by scarzy4 / February 10, 2010 12:56 AM PST

Thanks for the tip - i am trying to follow your directions.

Booted to "Repair Your Computer"
Opened System Recovery
Chose Command prompt
Opens to X:\windows\system 32
tried to enter this after the promopt CD $NtUninstallKB977165$\spuninst (enter)
system could not find the path specified

Any more help that you can provide?

Thanks,
Steve

Collapse -
Almost there
by Dr.Takeover / February 10, 2010 1:06 AM PST

from X:\windows\system 32
type cd\ (enter)
now you should be at X:\windows
start from there

Collapse -
opps!!!
by Dr.Takeover / February 10, 2010 1:13 AM PST
In reply to: Almost there

from X:\windows\system 32
type cd\ (enter)
now you should be at X:\
type cd windows (enter)
now you should be at X:\windows
start from there
(to others I don't know what drive you installed windows on, but you will need to find it. You can find it by going to your drive and typing dir/p)

Collapse -
Closer but no go yet
by scarzy4 / February 10, 2010 1:27 AM PST
In reply to: opps!!!

Was able to get to X:\windows.

Entered cd $NtUninstallKB977165$\spuninst but continue to get a response that the system cannot find the path specified. I am sure that this update was installed immediately before the reboot. Is there a way I can go into the directory from here and look for the folder to make sure the path I am typing is correct??

Collapse -
Lets see?
by Dr.Takeover / February 10, 2010 1:37 AM PST
In reply to: Closer but no go yet

from X:\windows
type dir/p
it will list all the files in the folder, you goal is to find the update KB977165 and uninstall it.

I been having a few customers come in today with the same problem from xp to win 7 and for me it work on all of them, and when the computer booted I notice utorrent so I'm guessing that's part of how it happened by something being downloaded with a little extra attached. the update KB977165 was made to stop the security issue that could allow an authenticated local attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it.

Collapse -
still trying
by scarzy4 / February 10, 2010 2:04 AM PST
In reply to: Lets see?

Have you successfully uninstalled on windows 7? I cannot imagine where I am going wrong. I will keep trying and report back if resolved. Thanks for your help so far.

Collapse -
No success here either
by electraglide1808 / February 10, 2010 2:10 AM PST
In reply to: still trying

I'm afraid that I have had no success either with these instructions

Collapse -
by liveinhighfloor / February 10, 2010 2:04 AM PST

Hi,

I have precisely the same problem. My strategy was to install update by update in order to find out which exact update is responsible for the Windows 7 system to hang.

In conclusion, I could install all Windows 7 updates that you named except for the KB977165, which causes the Windows 7 hanging on my computer.

Regards,
Geoff

Collapse -
kb977165
by scarzy4 / February 10, 2010 2:17 AM PST

I am very sure kb977165 is our issue. Now we just need to figure how to uninstall from windows 7 using system recovery and we will be okay.

Collapse -
kb977165
by liveinhighfloor / February 10, 2010 2:29 AM PST
In reply to: kb977165

My solution was to start Windows 7 in "repair" mode and thus set the system back to an earlier "restore point" - and the problem was solved at least on my computer! I did not uninstall this update manually!!

Reading your post, are you saying that the kb977165 update is still "wrongly(??)" installed and needs to be uninstalled manually?

Please advise! Thanks.

Collapse -
KB977165
by electraglide1808 / February 10, 2010 2:30 AM PST
In reply to: kb977165

As Geoff suggested I have installed all the updates EXCEPT KB977165 and everything booted up fine so the problem is indeed with that update.

I don't quite understand the suggestion that we need to uninstall KB977165 because it isn't actually installed in my pc after using system restore is it? I assume it isn't because Windows Update is telling me to install it?

Collapse -
I guess but
by superjay3 / February 10, 2010 2:49 AM PST
In reply to: KB977165

I think if you restore it your computer is back the way it was before. The update is not bad its the trojan that's conflicting with KB977165 or something. Now that you guys can log in you need to run Malicious Software so you can get rid of the trojan so you can install KB977165 or its always going to crap on you when you update again. Just my opinion?

Collapse -
It worked for me!!!
by superjay3 / February 10, 2010 2:34 AM PST

Thanks Dr.Takeover, I think the problem is that everyone has different harddrive names my harddrive as well was c: so the rest with different drive names needs to find the file on what ever drive the update is installed on, goodluck. It is the KB977165, find it and get rid of it or take it in and get rid of it, your computer will work and then Malicious Software will remove the trojan and then automatic update will install KB977165 and then it will work with the update. Also how did you know I had utorrent lol, Man I thought I lost everything Happy

Collapse -
reason
by scarzy4 / February 10, 2010 2:49 AM PST
In reply to: It worked for me!!!

Some of us do not have system restore points so we must uninstall manually. I have a backup on an external hard drive that is one month old but why go to that if I can just uninstall this update?

Collapse -
by scarzy4 / February 10, 2010 2:58 AM PST
In reply to: reason

Sorry meant to reply to above.

Collapse -
Checking around. This article was brought up.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2010 4:20 AM PST
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798/

It appears the kb977165 may fail on many machines. MSFT does provide support on Windows Update but for some, the old CATROOT issue may be the cause.

Good luck,
Bob
Collapse -
????
by kevant69 / February 23, 2010 4:15 AM PST

The update affected my desktop PC, waiting on my Windows XP disk from Dell. However my Acer Netbook wants to download the Update but I keep cancelling it. How do I know if it is safe to install? Or how can I stop the update? I don't do automatic Updates anymore.

Collapse -
As you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2010 4:20 AM PST
In reply to: ????
Collapse -
Your Other Computer Was Infected.. How 'bout This One?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 23, 2010 8:59 AM PST
In reply to: ????
Collapse -
More Problems
by kevant69 / February 23, 2010 10:16 AM PST

Yea I know that I had Malware problems on that PC that is why I have to wait for my Windows XP disk comes (tomorrow) to replace Atapi.sys file and hopefully fix it so I don't have to do a reinstallation. Anyhow I may have another problem. When I tried to do a PC Restore something else went wrong. Now when it boots up it does't make it to the BSOD. It stops at Loading PBR for descriptor 2...done.

Collapse -
You Still Need The Recovery Disc For a Repair Install
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 23, 2010 2:10 PM PST
In reply to: More Problems

The disc is becoming more corrupted and hopefully it's just the files NOT the drive. Usually that error is because of corrupted system files, of which you already know you have. Once the files are corrupted, the best best is to run the repair installation to repair all damaged items. You'll need the XP disc. Hopefully, it should fix the issue.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks
by kevant69 / February 23, 2010 10:41 PM PST

Thanks Grif I will update you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.