Computer Help

General discussion

computer starts up, then screen goes blank.---emergency!

by jzou / September 2, 2008 3:45 AM PDT

I have a desktop with AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core processor 2.21Ghz, 2GB of RAM. Windows XP sp2.

the problem with this computer is that when we first put it together, it worked fine. Then we put it aside to do something else and now a month later, we tried to turn the computer back on again. Now, the computer will start, and the screen will show the proper messages, for a brief couple of seconds, and then the screen goes dark, and nothing shows afterwards no matter what we do.

At first we thought there was a problem with the hard drive, so we reformatted it and used Norton Ghost 2003 to clone another computer's image onto this drive. (Note: the two computers have the exact same hardware setup, exact same software setup. we ordered them this way.)
But that didn't work.

next we tried the graphics card, and the ATX power supply, checked the board screws to make sure they are not shorting anything.
Now we are lost... Someone help please! We are trying to get the computers ready by tomorrow!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer starts up, then screen goes blank.---emergency!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer starts up, then screen goes blank.---emergency!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
also
by jzou / September 2, 2008 4:29 AM PDT

the mb is an asus M2N-SLI, ATX power supply

Collapse -
Just reload the OS from scratch
by Willy / September 2, 2008 5:32 AM PDT

Simply try to reload the OS as a fresh install rather than a clone, regardless of similar systems. Doing this suggest if you can't even do that you have other problems. You should be seeing the install going along. Again, if not then you can look at any h/w issues you think should be looked at. Usually in such cases, I reduce the system to its basics and check results.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
other problems?
by jzou / September 2, 2008 6:11 AM PDT

What kind of other problems? Because a fresh install of the OS did not work, since the screen would go dark a couple of seconds after startup.

Collapse -
Please explain
by Willy / September 2, 2008 3:04 PM PDT
In reply to: other problems?

Your original post says, you used a cloned HD to start the system. Are you now saying, you did do a fresh install of the OS? Make this clear, what did you do? because, if you did a fresh install then you were seeing the process being displayed, right. You were prompted, etc. during the install, if not what was the result? Otherwise, I don't follow what you're doing. if you did a fresh OS install, use another monitor or video card(if possible) to see if that's an issue. Be sure good power is applied from a stable PSU. If you do all this, then you may have a bad mtrbd. if the video comes from a integrated port or the video card is. If any errors pop-up during the OS install, did you ignore and proceed?

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
check yr monitor, too...
by Raisinguy / September 2, 2008 8:01 AM PDT

I've seen this happen at work: settings get changed on a computer, and trouble follows. It's possible the resolution is set too high for this monitor - the POST screen will be fine(640x480) and the windows startup will look OK, but when the desktop is supposed to show, the stored settings take effect; that would be why all appears to be going well, then the screen goes blank. All it takes is the refresh rate being set too fast, and you get nothing. ( one of my operators is prone to setting the refresh at 72, which would be ok, except when that computer is used with a different older monitor, we get exactly what you describe.) Try a different monitor (newer, flatpanel, better...) and if it appears OK, check your settings; be aware that the 1st monitor can't handle the resolution you've got set, or the refresh rate...

Collapse -
not very likely
by jzou / September 2, 2008 1:13 PM PDT

But I got 3 other computers, with the exact same configurations, same hardware, same monitors, and it all works! Right now I am suspecting motherboard, since that is the only one I haven't had a chance to swap out yet. I have swapped out everything else including the power unit (except CPU and RAM).

Collapse -
Take a look at your BIOS settings ...
by Edward ODaniel / September 2, 2008 3:15 PM PDT
In reply to: not very likely

and see how it is set to handle console.

Collapse -
console?
by jzou / September 4, 2008 3:45 AM PDT

Could you please be a bit more specific? I checked the BIOS, it is the same as all the other machines. Which menu item should I look at? Also, I am currently trying to do a new install of Windows, and it would install until I had to set the dates and everything, then the mouse and keyboard would go dead, no control over them whatsoever.

Collapse -
SLI problem
by metalfan1982 / September 7, 2008 2:42 AM PDT
In reply to: console?

This sounds like an issue I had. Look in your motherboards menu and make absolute sure that you have the video card in the right slot. should be the PCI-e slot closest to the CPU, then be sure that your bios is set with PCI-e slot 1 as the main video card. If you have 2 video cards running in SLI be sure the monitor is plugged into the primary one. Also, if these steps don't work then swapp your video cards around. Other than that I am not sure what to tell you. Calling Asus is an option.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.