Windows 7 forum

computer start up problem

by ob4408 / January 8, 2013 6:21 AM PST

My Asus laptop won't Start up , I have tried system repair , system restore , system image recovery and even windows memory diagnostic but it still won't start up

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer start up problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer start up problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
How far does it get?
by wpgwpg / January 8, 2013 6:30 AM PST

We need more info. Do you get the splash screen when you first power up? Do you get any messages? If so what? Have you tried booting to Safe Mode? Have you tried booting from a Repair disc?

Collapse -
computer wont start
by ob4408 / January 8, 2013 4:14 PM PST
In reply to: How far does it get?

when it stars up , a blue screen comes up , stating that a problem has been detected and its shuting down my windows to prevent damage. next window gives two options 1)launch start up repair recommended. - this one states windows cannot repair this computer automatically and gives an option of finished to shut down
2)start windows normally ,which wont work

Collapse -
Re: computer won't start
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 8, 2013 4:18 PM PST
In reply to: computer wont start

If it can't be repaired automatically, it needs to be repaired manually. So you need the Windows 7 installation disk to boot from and repair the system, or even reinstall Windows. Do you have that disk?

Collapse -
No I dont have the disk
by ob4408 / January 8, 2013 4:33 PM PST

I bought the laptop pre installed without any disc

Collapse -
Re: no disc
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 8, 2013 4:41 PM PST

Then there should have been the option to make them yourself. Probably too late now. Or there's a recovery partition to boot from and bring the system back to factory conditions.

Information on both options should be in the documentation that came with the laptop or on the makers site. If no luck, contact their Customer Service and order the discs you need and forgot to make yourself. That won't be free but cheaper and better than a Windows disk you buy in a shop.

Collapse -
You can make a repair disc
by wpgwpg / January 9, 2013 2:20 AM PST

Find a computer running the same 32 or 64 bit version of Windows 7 as you have and make a system repair disc to boot from. On that computer click Start -> Control Panel -> System. Then click Create system repair disc. Insert a CD-R and it'll create the disc. Then boot the repair disc on your laptop and select the repair option from that. This usually works better than what you've tried. If it doesn't work, you can still use it to boot to the command prompt and use the XCOPY command to save any data you don't want to lose. If you need to know the syntax, type XCOPY /? and it'll give you all the details.

If you end up having to reinstall Windows, you'll need to download all the drivers from the Acer web site. You might be able to get Acer to send you the discs you need to restore that laptop to out of the box factory settings for a small fee, so try that. If you can't, you can download the ISO image for your version of Windows 7 from and use the COA key that's on the laptop to install. If you need a program to burn the ISO image to a DVD, you can use the free IMGBURN that you can download from .

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $70 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus todo backup free which you can download from . That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.