Computer Help forum

Computer Slowly Decays and Freezes

by WookieKrisps / September 27, 2013 3:52 AM PDT

My computer boots just fine. Everything Loads, but after anywhere from 15min to 2 hours it will begin to freeze slowly.
Sometimes only certain Sounds deminish, and I can hear others.
Ive tried to create the "Freeze/Crash," but it happends with Games (all installed) and just internet browsing.
I have "WhoCrashed," but its not loading any Dumps
The cursor is visable and some what active. I can not Cntrl Alt Del, nor Alt Tab.
The computer will normally stay on but I have to turn the PSU off for it to restart

CPU Temps are 30C.
GPU is 22c

Here is a copy of my Event Log for a Critical
Event xmlns="">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-09-27T17:24:26.939614800Z" />
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
- <EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>

i5 2500k
Corsair H60
16GB Corsair Ram
SSD and normal HD
Gigabyte Z68 MB
750 PSU

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Slowly Decays and Freezes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Slowly Decays and Freezes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's a fine clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2013 4:05 AM PDT

I'd talk to its maker about checking the heatsink compounds (pre-applied is rarely that good) and trying it without the ssd.

At the very least do the usual case cover off test.

Collapse -
Computer decay
by pauly1651 / September 27, 2013 11:24 AM PDT

Sounds to me like the power supply is no good.
Stick a new one in. it'll probably solve the issue.

Collapse -
Computer slows down and freezes
by DSHornet / September 27, 2013 1:41 PM PDT

I'm with R. Proffitt. The fact that it slows down rather than suddenly halts makes me think it's heat related. Try running the machine with the case open and, if possible, set a small fan to blow air onto the motherboard. If the problem clears up, it's likely getting too hot and the MB is slowing things down in an effort to keep things from getting hot enough to fail outright. If that's the case, I'd start with removing the CPU cooler, cleaning everything up with alcohol, and putting it back together with a fresh application of heat sink compound.

Collapse -
that sounds like windows 98
by James Denison / September 27, 2013 1:51 PM PDT

when it would run out of "resources" which usually meant it's RAM was about full and the swap file overflowing too. You could then hear the hard drive start thrashing.

Something is robbing all the resources for whatever reason. It could be some virus yet undetected which is self replicating to deliberately take up memory till it's full.

Before it slows completely or freezes, can't you get any reading on available memory? Obviously they are all plugged in OK or it wouldn't have detected the 16GB of RAM.

Sure sounds like something doing a memory suck on it though.

Collapse -
by WookieKrisps / September 27, 2013 2:21 PM PDT

So check this out.

Originally I thought I fried the MB. I couldn't get the PC to even boot about two days ago. I pulled out the MB's battery and unplugged the PSU, and got it to boot. When I came home from work it wouldn't boot up again, reset CMOS again and it booted. I am learning so much about PC's but freaking A this problem is starting to get to me.

Explain how Heat could be an issue. I am using a H60 Liquid Cooler, and CoreTemp is showing my CPU is at 30 degrees Celsius. Are you saying the mother board is getting to warm?

Cant be a virus, bc I have reformatted to see if that would fix the issue. Unless they can still exist through a format. It had to be hardware.

I am currently testing my RAM sticks individually to see if I can get it to not fail.

I do have another PSU laying around that I will try later.

Collapse -
The symptom is why folk think that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2013 12:26 AM PDT
In reply to: UPDATE

It's a classic symptom and be aware that if a part gets heat sensitive then the owner loses a lot of time demanding folk explain why some chip is heat sensitive to 30C or such. IN SHORT if a CPU or board has failed in some way which we've seen before the problem is how to work with the client. In this small space I can't type all of the conversation I'd have at a shop counter.

So you get shortchanged and asked to do the usual test (cover off) and see if it changes. It's the classic test and the results tell us a lot. I can't guess why some resist such tests.

In short I've seen this be CPU, motherboard or even a video card but here's a flaming indictment of the industry. No diagnostics other than to swap parts to see if the problem goes away or changes.

Collapse -
"Cant be a virus"
by richteral / September 28, 2013 1:32 AM PDT

It still might be, even after re-format; try to remove CMOS battery for a while so that all residual is gone.

Collapse -
Based on this
by Jimmy Greystone / September 28, 2013 3:24 AM PDT

Based on this, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you have a bad motherboard. Some of the symptoms certainly sound like classic bad caps symptoms. It could even be you have more than one issue. I would definitely remove the case cover, because it wouldn't surprise me at all if your video card is overheating. Just because you have a liquid cooling rig on the CPU doesn't mean that's the end of the story as far as cooling goes. You still have to get that waste heat out of the case as efficiently as possible and odds are your video card is using standard convection cooling unless you're using the IGP on the CPU.

Unfortunately, as Bob says, the only way to test is swap in new components. So if you don't have the parts necessary on hand, probably time to take the unit to someone who does.

Collapse -
happenstance or clue?
by James Denison / September 28, 2013 5:57 AM PDT
"When I came home from work it wouldn't boot up again, reset CMOS again and it booted."

"I have to turn the PSU off for it to restart"

So, was it being off totally till PSU cooled, or a resetting of the CMOS which gave a positive result? If it requires being turned off completely as in unplugged, then it's a power unit problem doing a reset after cooling down.

Next time leave it plugged in while the computer is down and reset the CMOS only and I suspect the problem will remain.

Slow downs, refusal to boot, cooling off period before success. What you describe sounds like a power "browning out".
Collapse -
by WookieKrisps / September 28, 2013 7:26 AM PDT
In reply to: happenstance or clue?

Problem Solved.

Was able to recreate the freeze last evening

I use 2 Hard Drives, one SSD which i had OS and my main MMORPG Video Game on

When I loaded the video game, it would load but if anything needed to be RELOADED it would slowly crash, so a light went off in my head.

Reformatted the 2nd HD, put the OS and reinstalled all other games on it. Left it on over night no crashes.

Collapse -
so it was memory?
by James Denison / September 28, 2013 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: SOLVED

just SSD type instead of RAM? What do you think caused it? Heat? Interface problem between the flash memory of the SSD and the motherboard? All flash memory has a fade to it's speed during sustained accesses. Some in those thumbdrives will drop off by 50%! There's some tuneups you can do to SSD drives. One is put and assign the files doing continuous writes to a standard hard drive, things like log files, swap or page files.

Collapse -
One of the moderators here experienced same SSD issue
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2013 8:28 AM PDT
In reply to: SOLVED

Now we know this, is the SSD firmware, motherboard BIOS up to date?

And did anyone clue you in about the Intel RST app?

Collapse -
What can I do now
by WookieKrisps / October 1, 2013 9:37 AM PDT

So computer is running just fine. I had to change out the MB's battery which I havnt ever dealt with, but hey the computer boots, and I can play my MMO's now!

But here is where I am now. I am spoiled by previously owning a SSD, I am fine financially to purchase another, but my question is, "Is there a way to fix my SSD, or is it dead?"

I am fine if I have to order another SSD, but since this escapade taught me so much more about computers and their issues Id like to keep on learning.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2013 3:07 PM PDT
In reply to: What can I do now

I asked a question about the SSD firmware and didn't see an answer. It did help the other CNET Moderator but all I can do is ask.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.