Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer shuts down randomly

by cterryrun / June 17, 2009 5:34 AM PDT

i have a HP pc the computer will shut down while i'm working on it with out any notice and i have to turn it back on and let it load back up . sometimes it wont do it for a week and then sometimes it will do it several times a day. I think it's due to over heating, any one know if I can get good software to tell me what my computer temperature is? would there be any other reasons why my computer would be shutting down?

Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer shuts down randomly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer shuts down randomly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More info
by jeff_windows_team / June 17, 2009 6:16 AM PDT

There are a whole host of reasons why this could be happening- virus, bad power supply, overheating.... the list goes on.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

Jeff
Windows Outreach Team

Collapse -
is there a program that monitors computer temp?
by cterryrun / June 17, 2009 7:01 AM PDT
In reply to: More info

All I really would like to know if you guys could recommend a program that detects the computers temperature.

Thanks for the response

Collapse -
Every year.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2009 7:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
going to buy one
by cterryrun / June 17, 2009 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Every year.

yeah I'm going to buy one of those air compressors. Thanks for the vid though i didn't know a couple of those things.

Collapse -
Your machine?
by pyrrhus55 / June 17, 2009 10:05 AM PDT

Different processors run at different temperatures. Without a description of the machine people would be in the dark on what to suggest. For example, AMD processors , in general, run hotter than Intel. If you have a AMD laptop ,a cooler may be needed.

Collapse -
Interesting as I posted a similar question.
by snodinn / June 19, 2009 11:56 AM PDT

A simply solution to finding out if the situation is one of too much heat . . . Take the side panel off from your tower. Set a regular fan so that it will blow air onto the motherboard. I know my shut down problems are due to over heating, as since I directed the fan onto the motherboard my computer keeps running, no problem, for hours.

Please note that the suggestions that I have received to alleviate this problem properly will be implemented when I can get the necessary supplies. (I live in a remote town without very much in electronic supplies for sale.)

Collapse -
Listen!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2009 10:26 PM PDT

-> Or rather read this post.

This advice is good. It can help you avoid the repair counter.

Collapse -
h-p
by blacksheep771 / June 19, 2009 12:40 PM PDT

ive been working on computers for 20 years folks.......ive seen it all, melt downs fires flams.......if its a h-p slimline it could be over heating......you can take the side case off run it for awhile see if that helps....make sure all your fans r working........if that dont work id take 1 ram stick out at a time..... yeah thats right folks....just happened too me a week ago on a dell....1 of my ram sticks wasnt up too snuff.......so try each 1 bye its self......but thats just a first couple easy things too check may be very we'll what it is.....xpresident27@yahoo.com folks.....i have my own geek squad 2........we can come look at it if we half 2.

Collapse -
Find A Diagnostics CD
by wexmary / June 19, 2009 8:19 PM PDT
In reply to: h-p

I support hundreds of PCs in a network.

With those symptoms, it can be a problem with almost any component. We have Dells and their diagnostic CD will catch these issues, although you have HP. While overheating can be one reason, it can also be a bad component. See if HP has a diagnostics CD and run it overnight.

Collapse -
I dont have a cd
by cterryrun / June 20, 2009 12:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Find A Diagnostics CD

I dont have a diagnostic cd with the computer. But there are diagnostic programs on this website, will any one of those help?

Thanks!!

Collapse -
so would one of these work as a diagnostic cd?
by cterryrun / June 20, 2009 2:59 PM PDT
In reply to: I dont have a cd
Collapse -
I used the HP Diagnostic program on my computer
by smathious / February 1, 2013 3:21 PM PST
In reply to: Find A Diagnostics CD

The HP P6653w tower came with a diagnostic program which I used to check for problems and also use Fix-It Utilities to check for problems which did not find anything. The computer has Trend Micro Security Suite to check for virus' and malware.

Collapse -
Hello friend
by G.Santhosh13 / June 20, 2009 5:14 PM PDT

Let me introduce myself. I am a technician and I've worked for HP computers. I understand that you've worked a lot to find a solution for overheating.

I do not know the computer you are referring to. If it is HP laptop, I am sure your Notebook might be covered under one time service enhancement program.. Because few HP computers are covered under this process as their mother boards are defective. In this case, I suggest you to perform Power drain procedure, install the new BIOS update for your Notebook and check it out. This should help you. I hope you have cleaned the air vents through which heat is dissipated out.

I suggest you to contact HP customer care online chat support or send them an EMail with the Product number and the Serial number of the computer which are indicated as P/N and S/N so that they will be able to send you the exact web link to download BIOS Update. Installing wrong BIOS update might damage the whole computer.

You can also find the BIOS update with the exact product number of your computer. We just need to enter the exact product number in the search box of www.hp.com. This will provide you the exact details of your computer specification if you have purchased a BTO model(Built to order). Through this you can trace out latest BIOS update released for your computer. The BIOS update is listed in the software and driver download page.

Please do contact the HP customer care so that you will know the warranty details of your computer. If your computer is covered under warranty (either one year manufacturer warranty or the extended warranty provided by the company), then please send your computer to the technician so that they will replace your computer's mother board for free. They will not charge a single dollar if it is covered under warranty.

I am sure these details will really help you.

With regards,
Santhosh.

Collapse -
thank you
by cterryrun / June 20, 2009 5:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Hello friend

yeah I think the next step is to talk to customer support. Thank you for the info!!

Collapse -
hi there
by G.Santhosh13 / June 20, 2009 5:27 PM PDT
In reply to: thank you

May I know the operating system in the computer?

Collapse -
specs
by cterryrun / June 20, 2009 5:29 PM PDT
In reply to: hi there

my computer specs are:

HP pavilion a450n
windows xp home edition service pack 3
pentium 4 cpu 3 ghz
512 ram
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

Collapse -
Hii friend
by G.Santhosh13 / June 20, 2009 5:44 PM PDT
In reply to: specs

Thank you for providing the details. You have a pretty good computer. I've got the details from the HP website:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00058235&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

As the overheating being the issue, I suggest to contact the HP online customer support so that they can provide you exact web site to download latest BIOS update to fix the issue. This might also be due to the power management installations or the battery or the Mother board. You will be provided with a software to test the battery and few steps to re-install power management. If Mother board being the issue, ask them to replace it with a new one.

They will replace it with a new one if the computer is covered under warranty or any warranty enhancement program.

Collapse -
I have a similar promblem
by kkolopower / June 14, 2012 1:12 AM PDT

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop few months ago it started having promblems and in about an hour or two on its own it was turning off. Because of the warranty they changed the hard disk for 2 months now everything was going well but yesterday and today it turned off again 3 times!

Collapse -
This is one old discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2012 1:21 AM PDT

I can't guess why you put this under an old discussion but in short, if it's only a few months old, it's a warranty issue. Keep going back till it is fixed.

Also MY LAPTOP RESTARTED 2 times on its own last week as Microsoft issued updates that mandate a restart.
Bob

Collapse -
Resolved my same issue
by luteskl / August 28, 2012 7:28 PM PDT

If you have the technical experience and knowledge to disassemble your computer, take the computer case out of the equation, due to the fact the case could be shorting out the motherboard. use a flat table with a static free bag on it, and place motherboard there, then make sure cpu is seated correctly, make sure ram is seated correctly, attach power supply, monitor keyboard mouse and hard drive and power up. give it a test for about a day and see if that fixes the issue.

Collapse -
HP P6653w Windows 7 64-bit system doing the same
by smathious / February 1, 2013 3:16 PM PST

I have a HP P6653w tower with Windows 7 64-Bit OS install on hard drive and an AMD Athlon II X2 250 Processor on the MB. My computer does the same thing and I even sent to computer back to the service center to be checked out and I could not tell the difference when I got the computer back. I did have problems with losing power and the computer turned off, where it would not boot up and I had to use the "ESC" key when booting up to choose the drive to boot from. I am beyond that problem, but the same problem with the computer shutting down when it is not being used. I have checked it for trash blocking vents inside the computer and sure HP service people did the same thing when they had the computer.

I checked the Screen saver, which I changed the time before going into sleep mode, but without much luck. I am going to check a friend's computer tomorrow to see if her computer is in need of cleaning since she is having a similar problem with her Gateway tower. I was thinking that it could be the location where this computer is hooked up since a tower I built had the same problem. The room is cool and the vents are clear so air can flow into the unit and out freely. If the problem continues I may install another fan in the unit to see if that helps it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.