Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer Shuts Down for no reason

by Grifffster / December 4, 2003 5:09 PM PST

I have a HP zt1130 laptop and it was shutting down for no reason. It did not freeze or shut down windows xp, but simply powered down as if the computer had lost all its power. I checked the battery and it will still turn on with the battery or with the power cord, but the problem remained the same.
I thought it may have been a virus problem so I saved my important materials and then inserted the boot disk and started the computer. When asked to remove all files I selected "yes" and the bootdisk will start working, but after about five minutes the computer shuts down just like it did before. Any suggestions? Electrical problem? How, where or how much it should cost to fix? Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Shuts Down for no reason
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Shuts Down for no reason
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Computer Shuts Down for no reason
by HerbChong / December 6, 2003 8:01 PM PST

it possibly could be the power management settings on the computer. however, if you did what i think you did, your hard drive is now empty and there is nothing on it. you had best call HP support and see what you did and how to recover.

Collapse -
Re:Computer Shuts Down for no reason
by z8339a / December 12, 2003 11:16 PM PST

Wierd. I had a Compaq laptop do the same thing. Have you run this laptop plugged in for most of its life? I worked and worked on getting this problem resolved. I just left it alone for a day off and unplugged. I turned it on and all was good. Someone tried to explain some electrical voodoo in the power supply and electrical circuitry. Wouldn't hurt.

Collapse -
Compaq Computer Shuts Down for no reason
by mmcconke / January 17, 2005 6:07 AM PST

My Compaq laptop started doing the same thing today. Sometimes it will power up but only for a few minutes. Other times the power button just blinks green at me if I try to start up. I've run the laptop plugged in most of its life. When I bought the computer I was told (incorrectly) that the battery didn't have a memory and would be fine if I kept it plugged in while at my desk.... now my battery doesn't work!

If anyone has figured out what to do about this shutting down for no reason as if the power has been lost problem, can you please let me know? It would be appreciated. Thanks!

Collapse -
Computer shuts down
by ozican / January 19, 2005 6:18 AM PST

I have an Avertec that is under 1 yr old and I have been having the same issue, from what Ive found out it is the computer over heating.
We also have a Toshiba that when we turn it off it wont turn back on until it cools down, we stick it in front of a fan for a while.

Collapse -
mine too
by j_adney77 / May 7, 2005 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Computer shuts down

I have a zt1130 and it does the same thing. I think it is a power supply issue. I bought the laptp from a friend and when I got it the battery was dead. I figured no biggie. I only paid $200 and I can get a new one for $80-100 when I need it. Until then I will use AC adapter. Unfortunately the thing doesn't even overheat but sporadically shuts itself off. When this happens the AC power indicator light goes out and the only way to boot back up is to unplug the power cable, replug it, and boot. There is a huge thread on HP's site but they aren't helping anyone. I emailed tech support and they didn't even listen to the symptoms I gave. The person who replied sounded like they were going from a script and didn't take into account what I already tried. They basically want you to buy a bunch of new parts but they will not address the fact that the laptop does not need to be hot for this to heppen and the fact that the power cord needs to be unplugged before you can power up again. I told them as much and that this same thing happened to me with a desktop I had built in the past. The PSU was junk and once i swapped it there were no more problems. After I told HP that, they sent me an email stating that I was probably right, thanks for figuring it out and I still need to buy a new battery. I don't buy it. They wouldn't take it back to fix because the warranty is expired. This is too bad because everyone else on their forum that did the (expensive) fixes recommended by HP still have the problem. I guess the only solution is to learn from our mistakes and not buy crap HP laptops anymore.

Oh yeah, and in their forum if you mention your lack of useful help from HP and try to get some from the people on the forum they will delete your post for making them look bad.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.