PC Hardware

General discussion

computer shuts down by itself

by kane / January 22, 2004 8:48 AM PST

having problems with computer shutting down by itself at anytime.any ideas to fix.
thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer shuts down by itself
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer shuts down by itself
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:computer shuts down by itself
by j0enoonan / January 22, 2004 8:55 AM PST

it could be faulty power supply

Collapse -
Power Sags / Brownouts
by Angela / January 22, 2004 10:56 AM PST

You could be experienceing power sags or brownouts which cause the Power Supply to react as though the power is out. This will lead to damage to the power supply and possibly your motherboard in time. If any of your appliances trip your main circuit or if you go through light bulbs quite a lot this could be an indication of sags.

If this is the case and it isnt just a bad Power Supply, then I would recommend investing in a UPS or and SPS to protect your computer from damage.

Collapse -
Re:computer shuts down by itself
by JMarchi / January 22, 2004 10:32 PM PST

You give us no clue as to what you have, how old is the system, what processor, what version of Windows. How long did it work properly?

Collapse -
by walkman007 / November 23, 2012 10:30 PM PST

i have get the same problem as you,my computer shut down suddenly when i was using it for important works.it's really frustrate me.

Collapse -
Things to check
by wpgwpg / November 23, 2012 11:50 PM PST
In reply to: ..

Download SpeedFan from http://www.download.com and check your temperatures. If the cores are under 50 degrees C, you're OK, if over 65, you have a problem, in between bears watching.
Get your antivirus program up to date and boot into Safe Mode. Note that some viruses can hide themselves from your antivirus program in normal mode, so you really need to scan in Safe Mode. To get into Safe Mode when you first power up, hit F8 about once a second until you get the menu and select Safe Mode. Then run a full system scan.
-
You can check for corrupted system files. Open an administrator command prompt and run SFC if the above doesn't help. Click START, then type CMD in the search box, right-click CMD.EXE and click Run as administrator. Then from the command prompt type sfc /scannow.
-
Finally if all else fails, you can check the rather cryptic system event log. To do that click Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer. Once in Event Viewer click on the system log and scroll through the entries looking for those flagged "error" to see if you can find hints as to where the problem could be.
`
When you get your system back in good working order, I urge you to back your system up to an external hard drive and make regular periodic updates to it.
-
I hope this helps. Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.